Sign in to follow this  
Angelklaine

Uniques Rework - Fair for all

2 hours ago, Damascus said:

If penned they should be able to teleport out ...

Not sure if this is possible but .......Have the rifts a chance to spawn the unique instead of them randomly spawning on the map .......

That way more players will go to rifts ....

There be no loot on the unique it will be like normal rift mobs corps , any loot will be auto added to players bag ...

No butchering needed for hides and no items on corps ....

This will also stop alts from hanging around for blood and lagging area up for some players...

I know this is not a good plan for some or many but at this stage of the game something needs to be done ...

This is not my suggestion, however. Personally I am totally against the idea of adding uniques to the end of a rift because I dont want to spend 2+ hours killing trash mobs just for the chance that I may get a hide drop. No man. 

Rifts are rifts. Unique slays are unique slays. Both are completely different events and should remain as such. Players who dont want to do rifts shouldn't be forced to just so you get to see more people attending them.

• Like 1

Apologies if I mistook your suggestion for "Being more like rifts" to include other things rather than just the proximity element (including timers on niarja).

That said, I doubt it would be difficult for devs to "secure" the corpse to allow all participants to butcher (and only those in local when it died). 

-1.  because rifts are already soooooo much fun.  We don't need one size fits all solutions to problems that don't really exist.

There is nothing wrong with uniques the way they are.  There is the challenge of finding them, properly arranging a killing party and adjusting the terrain to accommodate that and they promote teamwork.  If some lose out that is because that is how games work, not everyone wins.    You learn from your mistakes and do a better job next time.  Everything doesn't have to be watered down to avoid conflict.  

Edited by madnezz

7 minutes ago, madnezz said:

-1.  because rifts are already soooooo much fun.

There is nothing wrong with uniques the way they are.  There is the challenge of finding them, properly arranging a killing party and adjusting the terrain to accommodate that and they promote teamwork.  If some lose out that is because that is how games work, not everyone wins.  You learn from your mistakes and do a better job next time.  Everything doesn't have to be watered down to avoid conflict.  

Just as you find the rifts boring, other people find hunting an unique incredibly boring as well.

I agree there is nothing wrong with the current system itself. But when in this game players are hand held by the staff in pretty much everything to avoid conflict, it just wont do that there is the one event where people are allowed to basically get away with murder.

I am of the opinion that hunting groups are some of the most toxic elements this game has to offer and this is one of the ways to end that. I rather open Uniques for everyone rather than have to defend myself in the forums against yet another hunting group that feels cheated because they couldn't secure a dragon against me so they could slay it in private.

This would put an end of that. 

• Like 1

You are entitled to your opinion but I couldn't disagree more.  What is toxic about working together with your friends to accomplish a goal before other's do?  It is a game and games require competition.   The definition of game - a form of play or sport, especially a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck.  There are social solutions to your problems you are griping about.  You can form your own hunting party and put in the effort or you can befriend one of the existing parties.  Both are relatively easy to do if you are willing to put forth the effort and be nice to other players.  This solo attitude of entitlement and awards for participation is toxic.

Having a variety of playstyles in a sandbox is important and should not be homogenized because some find it difficult or unattractive.  If you want something new and different that's one thing, design a new mob and tactics for approaching it.  Leave the current content as is because there are some of us that like the game the way it is/was.

Edited by madnezz
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, madnezz said:

What is toxic about working together with your friends to accomplish a goal before other's do? 

Nothing. I think this is an amazing activity. If I had the skill to do it I would do it myself. This is not what I consider toxic, however. What I consider toxic is the practice of these groups trying to shame other hunters not on their group and act entitled when they dont get their way because they consider the unique theirs even if they dont find it. It wasnt long ago we saw the debacle with the P/R hunting group and a certain fantastic bone.

1 hour ago, madnezz said:

or you can befriend one of the existing parties.  Both are relatively easy to do if you are willing to put forth the effort and be nice to other players.  

I am from Indy. Would the P/R group let me in? Would the Deliverance team let me in? These groups are selective and their rules generally dont allow cross server members. That in itself causes a lot of issues.

I am not against the concept of hunting groups. I am against the mob mentality some of their members have and its effects on the community as a whole. I remember an instance of a group of Chaos players fighting with a local hunting group over the control of a wyrm, and when the Chaos group won the local group took to the forums to crucify the chaos players and label them as toxic for stealing their precious unique.

People get tired of bickering and end up quitting the game over dramas like this. I believe my suggestion is a fair compromise that solves the problem while still allowing the enjoyment of an activity for those who wish to participate in it.

• Like 1

Lets do the math, how many non-eventful slayings vs the sensational ones?

19 minutes ago, madnezz said:

Lets do the math, how many non-eventful slayings vs the sensational ones?

It doesn't change the fact that many a drama comes from uniques though. When was the last time you heard of drama over a rift? What about a GM run event or a mission traitor? 

On 2/19/2019 at 4:10 PM, Angelklaine said:

Add a bar to the Mission Progress viewable to the server, similar to rifts

Make rewards automatically go to fighter's inventory

Add a general location to the Mission Progress bar

+1

I like these ideas.

These suggestions have much merit - most Wurmians would love to see the end to the silly dramas over uniques and the various groups.

Ofc Rifts and Unique slayings must stay separate and perhaps only the unique fighters should get the rewards and be the only ones in the rolls, if they have hit the unique, not just targetted it.  There are too many players who are unhappy with the way the current unique slayings are being played out and some have quit Wurm as a result, but then maybe the Devs like the drama, so cannot or will not find a solution ?

So, there were once uniques, but not everyone got a piece, now they are rare hard to find spawns instead.  

An intrepid player or group of players leave the sanctity of thier well protected homes to ring bells and cast spells to find them.  Then they take on the risk and investment of penning said creature, followed by gearing up, marshalling thier favorite forces, and prepping the battleground.   The reward is a chance at very rare scraps, that ONE day might can be made into a fancy overcoat.  That sounds incredibly wurmian to me.  I like it.  

Humans are funny creatures... youre taking them all! that was mine, etc.  

Almost every single resource is everywhere.  No diversity.   No danger zones, no risk vs reward.  Cant change that... people like thier spots and wont tolerate having to go way across the map in troll infested forests to pick camelia.  

Rifts satisfy a rarity itch for many.   Chance for goup pve.  Chance for neat drops not found elsewhere.  Fair distribution of loot.  Happen regularly, all over the place, different timezones.  Well done, devs.  

But... uniques.   Something is wrong there if it is causing this much drama.  I am all for a change for that.  

But with so much of wurm EXACTLY equal and fair and distributed... we all have ready access to all main resources, with little risk or travel - with little need for others stuff cause its all right here in front of us - in large quantities.  Priests are just a few more changes away from being the only choice.  

How mundane and accessible are you willing to make the last vestige of hard to find, hard to fight, risk vs reward element?

+1 support for change, but will add a caution to tread carefully on what we want.  

• Like 1