Sign in to follow this  
VelvetSun

Fair game play hits a new low

To say that I was completely mind blown by the actions of Oblivionnreaver this past weekend would be putting it mildly.

I understand that game mechanics may have allowed him to do it, but the fact that he would actually do it just ... seriously blows me away. That he would go out of his way to do something like this speaks volumes about who he truly is. I think that someone needs to step in and tell him that he crossed a line that never should have been.

If I were to mine around the perimeter of someone else's deed I would expect to be banned for griefing or at least be given a warning, and told not to do it again. I would expect to be told that is not a respectable way to behave or to treat other players. Play nice in the sandbox. There are written down game rules that we are all expected to follow, but there are also common courtesy, common sense rules that we all are expected to live by as well. Like ask the locals in the area you choose to settle in if what you would like to do is encroaching on them or their plans or, If it looks like someone is living there and using the place, most of us won't bash the fences and steal their live stock just because we can, another good one is, Don't rob your friends blind just because they gave you access to their stuff. Yanno, FAIR GAME PLAY rules.

To have the outer edge of our perimeter mined out to promote the release of the unique penned in it is crossing the line. The fact that he would even try doing that is incomprehensible to me and the fact that a group of players came here and helped him do that to us is confusing me. Is there some thing we did to you to make you dislike or disrespect us? I would NEVER do that to anyone. I honestly am confused. Some of you are people we considered friends so to have you help him do this is something I do not understand.

We completely get that it is fair game on uniques when they are free and running around but once someone has it penned down it's no longer free for the taking. Move on, another one will spawn. Some times we catch them, sometimes you do, well done for you when you do. But for you to come here and take ours away from us by mining the area surrounding our deed, there is no simpler way to put it, that is straight up a d#%k move and is griefing us and should be dealt with as such. This greedy selfish inconsiderate act needs to be addressed.

I think we need some clear rules in place to stop players from doing things like Oblivionnreaver did to us this past weekend. Keep the players as honest as you can by setting out clear guidelines as to what is exceptable behaviour and what is not.

Removing the huge financial gain from the uniques drops will help lessen Oblivionnreaver's greedy lust for them, I vote to remove tomes from unique drops, add them to rifts as a rare random drop, perhaps then he can spend his time chasing those instead of griefing us. Change the way the hide and scale is divided between the players, only people who actually hit the drake get a piece, there is a limit to how many players can be fighting so less chance for lots of extra alts left standing in local getting a piece of the loot just for being close by, players must be premium for 3+ months at least and have a certain fight skill level for their hits to count. Changing if they can be penned is not the answer to this problem, it will just make it more impossible for them to be killed, it is hard to get 15+ players together at one time for the skills required to kill them in a short period of time. I also see problems with new players being killed by them and properties being damaged.

Perhaps removing the twitter feeds and in game public announcements of them spawning and rework how they are spawned, so it's more of a random stumble on to them like other animals.

In our group most of the players are just trying to make themselves a nice set of armour, yes we have some senior players who have their sets already made but the largest part of our group are players working on making their first set. Our group is not about greed and financial gain. Any money gained from the unique kills is divided evenly amongst the players who participate and assist in the capture of a unique. It is not going to one player who is exploiting the system. Our group is not an elite group, it is open to any player that is an active responsible member of the Deliverance community. We do not go to other servers to try to take their uniques away from them, nor would we try to take one away from another player who has found one or caught one on Deliverance before us. We WILL defend our rights to keep one we found first though and if we came upon players who had found a unique before us we would NEVER try to lure it away or take it from them. Again FAIR GAME PLAY.

This is not something that should be overlooked or brushed aside, this kind of behaviour needs to be addressed.

Edited by VelvetSun
  • Like 13

I agree total jerk move , and should be considered griefing in my opinion. this isnt a pvp server.

• Like 5

wow... what kind of unique was it? Whats it's current  status?

BTW OR is a female!.. little known fact.. i know and call you both friends, VS & OR,  but it saddens me to hear of troubles :(

if i knew you had some cool monster penned up id prob have asked to dominate it and ride it around hehehehehe

yeah move it is a whole new breed of whining on chaos it is like advanced whining 

or just dont be a jerk on freedom , also problem solved, if you want to do that go to pvp server.

• Like 6

It is not being a jerk, it is playing a sandbox game !!SANDBOX!!

• Like 3

I am not to sure what have hampend here?
Something with mining around the deed?

In all good community's there is the some there just dont fit in, I remember when I started playing wurm like 10 years ago, I joint Epic because uf a player there was trolling my deed hard, by deed around it, so I was not able to make mine bigger, even that I told him my plans for the area, when he came to it.
He was trolling my deed members in local chat, and in the end made the game not fun, so we left, and joint epic so if a player did that to us again we was able to move him/them by force, or they us.
When I tryed to talk to support bag in the day, they was not able do help, as he did not brake the server rules, after I left, he started to troll the other players in the area.

PVE server is fun, as long all they to be part of a nice community, and I am sad now where I am back to wurm that Epic is dead, as I dont like the idea of freedom, where players are allowed to troll others, and a GM cant see beond the rules, when it is clear that the player just go to the line of the roles to troll a nother player.

My plan is to get bag to Epic when I have more players to go over there with, then start something.

When it comes to the spiel creatures, to be able to make some kind of a insted group or something, so only them there do damege to the creature get items I think is the idea, so not all in local get items, but only them there hit it, and do damage, that will say even if you die you will get some items from it.
I think it is fair a player there is kind of new joins the fights, I have never ben in one, even that my charters are able, but I still dont think my skills are good enoth, and I tell them on my deed, and them there joins me, that they sud forces on getting more combat skills before they join fights like that.

so you are saying it should just be a free for all grief fest because its a sandbox game!! SANDBOX!!

most people on pve servers get along and dont do this kind of thing and like it that way. People that like to grief and play that style of game play pvp and we can see how those numbers are looking..

Edited by Ruiner
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Tedzogh said:

It is not being a jerk, it is playing a sandbox game !!SANDBOX!!

I saw nothing about sand mentioned.

Aside from that, it is rather sad people will go to any length for minimum wage stuff in this game ? 

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, VelvetSun said:

Changing if they can be penned is not the answer to this problem, it will just make it more impossible for them to be killed, it is hard to get 15+ players together at one time for the skills required to kill them in a short period of time. I also see problems with new players being killed by them and properties being damaged. 

I've suggested this many times to staff - uniques should just pop to the surface every 12 hours. If you need more than 12 hours to gather 15 fighters, there's something wrong. Give a shout in global chat and you'll have 30 people there in no time. That way it's just for whoever is online, and nearby - not the same groups over and over again.

There's some points I think every player will have varying opinions on. Some like the open loot to all local, some don't. Some like the fact you can pen them for later usage, some don't.

If you don't like how uniques can mine out of caves you should make a suggestion, but until then, putting them into a mine to keep them away from the public is just as much griefing as it coming back out and being killed by someone else. Noble talk but the whole public red dragon incident on deli still sits fresh in my mind. It's not sustainable to do public slayings eh?

• Like 14

9 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

so you are saying it should just be a free for all grief fest because its a sandbox game!! SANDBOX!!

Yes. The limitations applyed to some servers is just dumb imo, and is ruining the game for ppl playing there, so they use metods to get their playstyle playable, it is not griefing imo. If you dont want it to get out, pen it for real and noone can  break in.

I've said this many times before. You do not OWN a unique. You just don't. It spawns on the server randomly. If you find it and kill it, good for you, but that doesnt mean that if you pen it improperly and someone else takes it, that it was yours and was stolen, nope, it just means you don't know how to pen

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Gladiator said:

I've said this many times before. You do not OWN a unique. You just don't. It spawns on the server randomly. If you find it and kill it, good for you, but that doesnt mean that if you pen it improperly and someone else takes it, that it was yours and was stolen, nope, it just means you don't know how to pen

I 100% agree, but to stop players from having alts in local, to put in the function that only them there do damege to it, will get part of the loot.
But to think some one can own them, not at all

4 minutes ago, Tedzogh said:

Yes. The limitations applyed to some servers is just dumb imo, and is ruining the game for ppl playing there, so they use metods to get their playstyle playable, it is not griefing imo. If you dont want it to get out, pen it for real and noone can  break in.

yes lets make it like chaos so the whole game can have a population of 24... great idea

• Like 3

Didn't say that, but some limitations is just making it a childgame and remove so much of the soul of the game.

dont get me wrong i am not afraid of pvp , but there is a place for both play styles. i have played this game for nearly 10 years and would hate to see the pve side compromised that many like to play like what has been done to pvp

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

Curious if you feel the same way about dragons/drakes that were hatched from an egg?  Does the player who received and hatched the egg, own the unique? If it's penned properly.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

I've said this many times before. You do not OWN a unique. You just don't. It spawns on the server randomly.

If I find and tame an alert unicorn and bring it home and pen it, it now belongs to me. Unique mobs are exactly the same thing just more dangerous.

• Like 1

Just make it so uniques can't enter caves?

Edited by Morrowen
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, VelvetSun said:

If I find and tame an alert unicorn and bring it home and pen it, it now belongs to me. Unique mobs are exactly the same thing just more dangerous.

Can we tame the uniques? ?

• Like 2

I get the frustration but feel it may be misdirected some.  The game mechanics are what they are, so you penned to keep it for your group for a later time.  The dragon mines cause it don't want to be in there , a mechanic to address penning.  it mines out of the deed.  it is then able to be killed by anyone at that point.  yes frustrating, but maybe ask for mechanics change if you don't like how uniques behave instead of then pointing the rage at players.  There wasn't anything illegal done and you can't hold someone else responsible for however you deeded nor the dragon deciding to say nah and mine out.  Its never gone well when any body attempts to claim proprietorship of a unique that cannot be tamed or dominated or owned from the games random spawns.  The best we have now is to work within the mechanics we have until it's changed.

• Like 3

Everytime that there is money involved, there is those that seeks to get it by any means. I understand the toxic nature on pvp barely, but not in freedom. Greedyness is a lifestyle for some people and since the accused individual owns tons of stuff worth in the game already, i kind a find it sad that he has to stoop so low, but its in the mechanics, so there for, allowed. Fair or not, better public slaying, than private.

Make it that uniques cannot be penned by any means, if you want it dead, gather a force and go kill it right away. Those that spawns from egg, could have some loyalty thingy going on for the deed holder and it could be penned by the deed owner only and it couldn't mine out itself. Getting an egg, seems pretty damn rare, so why not? Unless you can farm those dragon eggs, then obviously not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VelvetSun said:

To have the outer edge of our perimeter mined out to promote the release of the unique penned in it is crossing the line.

17 minutes ago, VelvetSun said:

No, you're wrong. Uniques unlike unicorns have mechanics in place to break penning and escape from it. *hint hint* they aren't supposed to be penned. Why? Because you have no right to hold down an unique indefinetely. If you do, and do it wrong, then don't complain when someone breaks it free and takes it. If people were able to hold them indefinetely just for "pretties" then other players would be robbed from the chance to get unique gear. 

You don't own uniques. No one owns uniques. That's why their mechanics were changed. So you couldn't. I had one spawn at my island and I quickly dispatched it. If I had penned the thing and held it indefinetely (I easily could have) a GM would had shown up eventually and rectified the situation. So no, you don't own it.

32 minutes ago, Gumbo said:

Curious if you feel the same way about dragons/drakes that were hatched from an egg?  Does the player who received and hatched the egg, own the unique? If it's penned properly.

That is in the past and was changed for a reason.

tldr- Personally I don't agree with people being able to pen and claim uniques. That has been the cause of massive frustration and drama on freedom for countless time. People who don't know how to pen claim it, loose it, then come here crying about how unfair it was and how the players should be punished. I think that penning uniques should be made impossible, that deeds cannot be dropped in the area where an unique spawns, making it work like a rift, and that the unique be tethered to the area he spawned off. 

Claiming unqiues is dumb, and Oblivionn did nothing wrong by freeing it. Just as he can claim from you, you can claim from him. 

Edited by Angelklaine
  • Like 1