Sign in to follow this  
Titanius

How do cattle survive on rock?

This is more of a curiosity question that might lead to a recoding of where cattle roam.  I always see cows and bulls scaling tall mountainsides, and just standing there for days and days.  Or sometimes in the middle of a desert.  How do they survive without grass?  If their roaming behaviour were coded to something more realistic, we could have large cattle operations without needing to  build so many pens, as the cattle would not runaway on us.  We could have a grass covered deed, and a sand perimeter.  The cattle would stay on the grass and not wander off across the sand.  There might be one or two that wander off, but at least they wouldn't run off up the side of a mountain and just stand there forever.

Creature AI has long been messed up.  There's been a couple attempts at fixing it but imho it's still no better then it was when I started 7 years ago.  I can still remember the first effort to fix it and they came off their mountains to the ocean... my lone Templar killed over 250 mobs that day, was quite annoyed I had to keep burying corpses everywhere on deed.  Call it Wogic ?

9 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

Creature AI has long been messed up.  There's been a couple attempts at fixing it but imho it's still no better then it was when I started 7 years ago.  I can still remember the first effort to fix it and they came off their mountains to the ocean... my lone Templar killed over 250 mobs that day, was quite annoyed I had to keep burying corpses everywhere on deed.  Call it Wogic ?

Still remember to this day when all my animals started huddling in the corner of my horse pens.  Think it was around Easter some years ago

I recently read some posts on  how to set up  a proper pen layout, with most preferring 1 animal in each 2x1 pen so  you can lead them  in and not get stuck.  Some suggested up to 6 animals in a 3x3 pen or so.

The reason they gave was because the animals would wander toward the southwest corner and huddle there and catch disease.   Hence segregating them in small pens would prevent bunching up.

Am I to take it, then, that bunching no longer occurs?  Are large 10x10 or 15x15 pastures ok now?

so far my 8 horse's stay away from each other and graze nicely.. no bunching up or hanging in corners so far .. like a 12x12 lot

It's one of those things that would require so much effort and time to rewrite that I don't ever see it happening tbh. We will forever be stuck with the mountains of animals.