Sign in to follow this  
Lei

When's the next unlimited update?

Today marks the 168th day we've gone without an update for Wurm Unlimited, just short of six months.

While I know a lot is coming down the pipeline as far as updates from Wurm Online, I'm just curious, is there any news about when our next update will be? Many of us over here are very excited for what's been added and are very hungry to get our hands on the new patches!

Any news is good news, we'd just like to have some sort of timeline to quantify the time we have to suffer the wait! 

Devs, Retro, is there any news on this front?

• Like 1

No news yet, still working on tweaking and adjusting the stuff in WO. We'll have news when it's ready for a beta

I figured as much, but wanted to hear it from the horses mouth! We've been discussing it a lot lately in my unlimited circle.

Thanks so much for responding quickly Retro, you are the man!

Edited by Lei
  • Like 1

It's clear that the devs have pretty much abandoned WU. Shame really. 

16 minutes ago, atazs said:

WU is not abandoned. I'll go into detail though:

A timeline:

• September 16th, WU Patch.
  • October was a slow month. I don't believe we had much going on so there wasn't much to patch. What little we had was getting ready to be updated until...
  • In November we were faced with Tich's passing. The decision was made to focus on getting her legacy finished and deployed. This took longer than expected.
  • December, we were still finishing up getting all the updates we had ready. Then we updated and we were chasing bugs for the rest of the month.
  • January, I was MIA for a good two weeks. Since I'm a key part in the updates, that made things difficult. Plus we were still settling down after what was the largest set of code changes likely seen in WO so far.
  • February has been a rough month with server issues, though we are closer to having an update ready now.

I will be working on the internal test build this weekend. We are still working on a means to update more frequently. It's close, but we also have to fine-tune the frequency. I've been told bi-weekly updates are not desired. So monthly? Bi-monthly?

• Like 4

Monthly check ins would be appreciated. I know Im excited to hear what's going down for WU :)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Keenan said:

WU is not abandoned. I'll go into detail though:

A timeline:

• September 16th, WU Patch.
  • October was a slow month. I don't believe we had much going on so there wasn't much to patch. What little we had was getting ready to be updated until...
  • In November we were faced with Tich's passing. The decision was made to focus on getting her legacy finished and deployed. This took longer than expected.
  • December, we were still finishing up getting all the updates we had ready. Then we updated and we were chasing bugs for the rest of the month.
  • January, I was MIA for a good two weeks. Since I'm a key part in the updates, that made things difficult. Plus we were still settling down after what was the largest set of code changes likely seen in WO so far.
  • February has been a rough month with server issues, though we are closer to having an update ready now.

I will be working on the internal test build this weekend. We are still working on a means to update more frequently. It's close, but we also have to fine-tune the frequency. I've been told bi-weekly updates are not desired. So monthly? Bi-monthly?

Updates every two months with a long enough beta phase (~2 weeks) especially before bigger updates would be appreciated. The length of the beta is important since some servers need to fix up to 20 mods after some updates. ? 

Plus not too much of refactoring :P

Edited by Sklo:D

1 hour ago, Sklo:D said:

Updates every two months with a long enough beta phase (~2 weeks) especially before bigger updates would be appreciated. The length of the beta is important since some servers need to fix up to 20 mods after some updates. ? 

Plus not too much of refactoring :P

This is going to be a huge update. I want to be clear about our beta period once we release it.

@Keenansorry for you're lost and thank you for reaching out to your fans on what's going on.

us Unlimited people are grateful for everything that's been coming our way and can't wait for the new update and mostly to fishing update definitely since that was Tich's department that I've heard, many people are excited over it. 

Keep up the great work this is a very awesome game!

Great response, Keenan! Thanks so very much, that is exactly what I wanted to hear. The run down of the past few months make sense, but its even more understandable hearing it from someone on the team, especially you. Everyone on Wurm Unlimited is super excited for this update and I for one am very excited to hear it is very soon on the way.

The dev team gets a lot of slack sometimes, but the past few years of updates have been especially amazing. The player base is very involved in the progress and development of the game, and that's a huge reason why I love Wurm so much. It's kept me here these last seven years, and I am sure many more to come!

Keep up the great work!

Pleeeeeeeeze don't give us the removal of the in-game wiki and the opening of the web-page wiki every time we want to refresh our memory on something.  The in-game wiki is still working so far in WU, I'd love for it to stay that way. 

The opening of the web page is so jarring.  Especially when it's night time in-game. When I logged in WO the other day, I forgot and tried to open the in-game one out of habit, and that bright white page suddenly filling my screen stabbed my eyes and left me cursing.  lol.   Not to mention being suddenly wrenched out of the game is so immersion breaking.

If it sounds like I'm complaining, and if it sounds like I hate it with a burning passion...I am and I do.  :)

Edited by Amadee

On 2/21/2019 at 9:33 PM, atazs said:

Are you serious? WU has received a lot of attention since launch dates. Most games seem to be abandoned within a year to be replaced with a sequel to maximise commercial advantage but WU has been going for 4 (or 5?) years now. Your $30 or whatever has gone very far already.

one or two updates in a year is enough, i dont need each 2 month an update and fiddle with the servermods

I would like more than one a year.   Plus, the longer they drag out, the even longer they drag out, if you know what I mean...  We will end up with an update every two or three years and have zero priority for the dev team in that case. They'll just do WU updates if a staffer happens to get bored.

To me, a good generic target would be once every 2 months, adapted to the circumstances. Sometimes there is just not a lot of new content happening. Other times, it is relatively superficial changes (new horse colors) and bugs/graphics/ui rather than gameplay mechanics. Many regular updates need little to NO mods updating, maybe once a year an update gets really complicated. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

7 hours ago, Eject said:

one or two updates in a year is enough, i dont need each 2 month an update and fiddle with the servermods

It doesn't matter if you fix 20 mods once a year or 4 mods 5 times a year. Mostly stays the same, plus nobody is interested in a game which only gets updates once a year.

Update in the interval of two months is fine.

Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 2