Sign in to follow this  
baconator

Game crashes consistently with no message

My game crashes everytime I play it. Sometimes I can play it for a good few hours, sometimes not even 10 seconds after I open it, it will close by itself. There is never a "No soup for you" or other message explaining. I play through steam.

Computer specs:
Processor: intel core i5 
Ram: 8gb ram
Storage: 2TB space
Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 Ti

I've been playing since WU came out, 4k hours, and while I have had normal crashes happen before (meaning it gives the error message and log), this is a first for having the game close by itself, especially IMMEDIATELY on launch. 

If you need additional info or have a suggestion on how to fix the problem, please let me know. Thank you.

Do you have any HS_ERR_PID on your desktop or in your My Documents folder?

Or, actually, did you recently upgrade/install java and have it choose automatically? You may have the 32 bit version installed, please double check and report back.

I do not see HS_ERR_PID on my desktop or My Documents.

I have not updated java recently, but I am running 64 bit.

Do your java using garbage collector option enabled? This solve my problems.

>>Or, actually, did you recently upgrade/install java and have it choose automatically? You may have the 32 bit version installed, please double check and report back.

Since he is discussing WU, not WO, that should not matter since WU comes bundled with its own version of Java (beyond those like Rayanor who have manually changed their java defaults, which I would not recommend except for very advanced users). I know it gets confusing at times whether people are discussing WU or WO, even when posted in a specific subforum.  

>>this is a first for having the game close by itself, especially IMMEDIATELY on launch

I was noticing your computer specs are rather similar to mine, so it might be something that also causes a crash-at-launch for me as well ... or at least since I switched to a different monitor.  Check and see whether you are trying to run the game at fullscreen, especially if you have a 1920x1080 monitor. WU does not like fullscreen on certain resolutions and especially it seems that one (1440x900 is another problematic one). Changing to windows resizeable at a generic resolution (such as 1280x1024) then maximizing the window to fill the screen once loaded, should stop the crashes at launch and still allow you to run at your native resolution. On mine, if I try to start at fullscreen 1920x1080, it connects, starts to load the terrain, then silently vanishes. Sometimes I get a red crash box with the message that "Unexpected crash while playing The error was: <Cannot determine focused state of uncreated window>"   If I switch back to windows resizeable, i can load the game normally. When I searched through a number of posts with this issue, almost all ran at 1920x1080 or 1440x900.

Maybe this is not your issue though. See if you can find an HS_ERR_PID file with a filedate right after a crash. It should be located in   \steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmLauncher\

(I don't get an HS_ERR_PID file myself when I get this crash though).

Alternatively, look under /PlayerFiles/ for a file names console.charactername   which should report the crash, as well as some details on its cause.

When I get a crash for running fullscreen, mine says this, towards the end:

Login successful
Executing PlayerFiles\configs\default\autorun.txt
Execution aborted at connection 1, iteration 0
Run time 0s, local time Sun Feb 24 07:23:14 PST 2019
Destroying game window
====== CLIENT CRASH ======
Unexpected crash while playing
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Cannot determine focused state of uncreated window
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.isActive(Display.java:567)
    at com.wurmonline.client.LwjglClient.hasFocus(LwjglClient.java:570)
    at com.wurmonline.client.WurmClientBase.tick(WurmClientBase.java:710)
    at com.wurmonline.client.WurmClientBase.tickFrame(WurmClientBase.java:397)
    at com.wurmonline.client.WurmClientBase.runGameLoop(WurmClientBase.java:531)
    at com.wurmonline.client.WurmClientBase.runConnectionLoop(WurmClientBase.java:325)
    at com.wurmonline.client.WurmClientBase.runGame(WurmClientBase.java:304)
    at com.wurmonline.client.WurmClientBase.run(WurmClientBase.java:1597)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Exiting Wurm after an Error

Yours might say something different but should give us a clue what is wrong.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

I have the same, but i use 64 bit all the time. I do not use 32 bit, but i still have the described crashes !!!

To be on the safe side i downloaded the newest version of java, 64 bit of course, but the crashes happen all the time after about 1 minute !!

Just a reminder, this is the Wurm Unlimited troubleshooting section, for the steam version of the game only. It comes with its own bundled java and you do not need to download/install/fiddle with java as it is built into the steam bundled version.  Are you having issues with Wurm Online, or Wurm Unlimited?

Wurm Online appears to be currently having crashing  issues with the Modern Renderer, and people crashing with that are suggested to switch back to Legacy Render in the launcher graphics settings.

See this thread for more info:

Also, posting crash logs will help.

Look for a file in your wurm folder for a file named HS_ERR_PID and the same date as the crashes (don;t post a really old one)

This is where in the launcher you switch from MODERN RENDERER to LEGACY RENDERER.

Make sure you are not yet logged into the game (since you are crashing, that will be easy)

eao0iyf.png

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1