Sign in to follow this  
Ozarkhippy

How far down can you mine

Hello

I want to open an underground harbor. I have opened a mine shaft and raised a ceiling up as far as I can go and mined down as far as I can go -14.5. But I want an area where the ceiling is higher. If I mine up until i cannot go up any further, then mine out a layer the size of the room I want. Then start mining down to the water again. will that work? I am concerned about starting out too high and getting this error. When mining the floor too low, (with an already high ceiling, before hitting the water level) you will receive the message Lowering the floor further would make the cavern unstable  

I want to open the tallest room I can

Please help

Thanks Ozark

Maximum height of a cave wall is 255, deepest you can mine below water is -25.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply's. 

So if I start at about 200 height  and mine a room say 10x10  down until I cannot mine down anymore will the cave walls show as only one tall tile?  If so what happens if I try to mine in from the outside above the water line?

Thanks for the help, Ozark

Edited by Ozarkhippy

It doesn't matter how you try, any attempt to make a tunnel with a height greater than max will fail. From inside or outside.

On 2/16/2019 at 7:14 AM, Ozarkhippy said:

So if I start at about 200 height  and mine a room say 10x10  down until I cannot mine down anymore will the cave walls show as only one tall tile?

By "height", do you mean the floor?  If the floor is at height 200, the ceiling is approximately 232.  If you want -25 for maximum depth, that puts your total height now at 257. 

The wiki entry on ships does say that you only need a maximum of -20 depth for the largest ships, in which case you're only at 252 height, so within the 255 maximum.

HOWEVER:  Unless you have a mining of 90, you are not mining completely flat.  This doesn't just mean that the floor is not flat, it also means the ceiling isn't flat.  This minor variation could cause issues if you don't allow some extra padding.  (Meaning don't go for the full 255 height.)

When I created my underground harbor, I started at 190 for the floor.  I had multiple alts doing the mining in the area.  Every time I created a tile whose floor was not level, I either mined a corner down or used concrete to raise the corner.  By the time I was done, I had a very large area with a flat 190 height floor. 

Then I started leveling the ceiling.  I had to change my leveling spot a couple of times, but ultimately I raised the ceiling only about three height so I was well within my padding.

After which, I mined one area down to height 10.  Then I would put a couple of alts using the Level command and a non-enchanted pickaxe while my main was doing more interesting stuff.  (Make sure to have large crates or be willing to pick up rocks, combine, and discard to get rid of them; you have to have space to mine.)

Why height 10?  So I wasn't standing in water and could regenerate stamina.  Then it's go back later and mine down manually to max depth.  I could have picked height one, but 10 worked out well because it is the height of stone I want for all of my walkways and docks.  This meant I could lower the entire area without thinking about the layout, then go back and carefully only submerge the waterways.

Good luck.

P.S.:  If you don't know, you can sacrifice rock shards to increase your rare generating window an extra 10 seconds every hour.  Make sure your Favor is completely maxed before starting.  About 1,500 rock shards of any quality gets you maxed out, with about another 100 per week.  The amount seems to vary if you have multiple villagers.  There's a wiki article.

Thanks for the reply Gorwst

So what I did is,  starting at 1 height already underground, mined up until I could not go up any farther. then leveled off and went a few more tiles. then turned right and mined flat for for 18 tiles . then turned right and mined flat for 15 tiles continued mining flat until I  ended up back where I started. then I mined out all the tiles in the middle. so the area is at 121 height. now I am mining the ceiling up, as far as I can go, 31 mining actions. So I am assuming the ceiling is at 152 height correct?. so if I add the - 14.5 which is all I can mine down below 0 for some reason that,s a total of 166.5 So it looks like I have about 89.5 height to play with. I was told the maximum difference between the bottom and the top heights is 256. Only about half of the harbor needs to go below 0,  so I'm thinking, that I can build house walls and a ladder to mine the ceiling up even more. If I do that, how many mining actions can I go up when standing on the second floor of a building  is it still 31?

Will the fact that I cannot mine down past -14.5, interfere with the corbita the wiki says it needs 2 tiles I think.

Thanks for the help.

Ozark

On 2/19/2019 at 2:16 PM, Ozarkhippy said:

Will the fact that I cannot mine down past -14.5, interfere with the corbita the wiki says it needs 2 tiles I think.

I have not personally tested the bigger ships in a shallower underground harbor, but my understanding from what others have said is that the wiki is correct and you need -20 depth to get the bigger ships through.

Where are you getting the -14.5?  You cannot have a half height in Wurm Online or Wurm Unlimited.  Are you maybe looking at your height while floating in the water?  If so, that isn't the correct height of the tile below you.

I recommend Bdew's Better Tooltips mod found here.  You can hover over the corner of a tile, even underground, and get the exact height.  The underground tiles show an extra decimal place for some reason, but it's still clear what the height is.  Makes life a lot easier.   Plus the fact that you can hover over any tile edge to see the slope no matter the tool you have out is helpful too.

I'll be honest:  I did not follow your description of what you did and the math it would make the height at.  If you have a cave wall that goes from the bottom of the water to the top of the ceiling, you can look at the slop and see if it's hit 255 yet.  That is the max.

As for mining the ceiling higher from a building, it is possible.  Since each floor of a building is 30 height, you should get 30 more mine actions.  Just remember that if you want a flat ceiling across the whole area, you want the maximum height over the deepest water.

One technique you can use is to mine up one corner and then Level the ceiling.  It's slower, you want to use a non-enchanted tool so you don't waste a good tool on it, but you can start it and leave it running while you do something else.  Just hit the command again when your stamina runs out and recharges.

Thanks Gorwst

Now I understand where the 14.5 comes from, I was floating in the water.  Thanks for the leveling tip, I didn't know I could do that. 

Now I am just waiting for an alt to be able to do erupt/freeze, to remove the unwanted veins.

Thanks Ozark