Sign in to follow this  
HexD

VoIP

It's been quite a few years since it was removed, I'm not entirely sure why it was removed but I think it would be great if the option to bring back VoIP was explored.

• Like 1

It was removed because they were using some software licensed by Sony, and their license to the software itself expired, afaik.
Would be nice to have in-client voice comms, but I'd want it to be a bit more configurable than last time.

Maybe with the inclusion of "rooms" or channels other than just proximity, this feature could see more use this time around. I'd certainly prefer to use it over discord.

I only ever seen this feature used twice in-game myself, once when epic came first came out and the second was to play music in local 24/7 from a island.

But it's like text chat it can be a positive experience or negative, so i'm kinda torn myself if it would be worth it.

VoIP was a good idea, it just was horrible implemented as usually in Wurm, which made it completly unattractive. And you had to pay for it.

World of Tanks had its own voice implementation, and it sucked. Nearly everyone used Discord/Teamspeak anyhow. (I note that WoT is a much better-funded game.)

What would VoIP offer that Discord doesn't?

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

What would VoIP offer that Discord doesn't?

IN-GAME voip *applause* *fireworks* *drums* *trumpets* *party*

*shrugs*

Using additional SEPARATE software adds extra complexity which some cant or wont bother with.

Slap voip, offer the option to turn it on/off.. let people decide.

Currently I go mad.. when some ret... uses fart emotes or uses small bells, only option is to completely turn off emote sounds and mute whole game for the ...... bell sound. Little things matter in other words :)

Just being able to speak to anyone you meet would be nice for the personal connection and not to mention not having to type all the time.. Also role players would enjoy that aspect of the game as it'd be more immersive and allow players to be more creative. Emotes can only do so much. Sure everyone uses some form of voice comms these days, but not everyone is on the same one and nor are they permissive of granting access to random people. So having a basic proximity VoIP in-game would just make sense and since we're simulating player head bobbing now we should definitely have player voices.

On 2/15/2019 at 2:07 AM, Finnn said:

...when some ret... uses fart ...

B-but that's the customary greeting for some of us provincial backwater islander hicks...