Sign in to follow this  
wipeout

Why? "Lowering the floor further would make the cavern unstable."

When and why was this added? it pretty much makes it impossible to go down more then 224-225 steep in an area and prevents any kind of deep big caverns from ever existing

Im asking this as i had a project i was working on of hollowing out a giant giant cave on a mountain under my deed but now encountering this(it used to not exist) kinda ruins that plan but it also left me curious when was that added and why as i dont remember it ever being bought up

Now i can understand dropshafts are evil but i just made a 985 drop shaft still so that change doesnt stop dropshafts so why is it in place? is it because of houses in mines? like why cant we be dwarfs living in giant caverns ?

This is because of the cave height limit of 256. The reason for this is because cave height is stored as a byte. 

There was a discussion on this some time ago:

Hope that helps a bit 

Thank you and it does i have replied to that topic now as well and i hope that some day we might be lucky enough to see that change

changing a data type is a very serious thing though and can trigger tons of side effects. I would be happy too if that one could be implemented without stability issues.