Sign in to follow this  
Wulfgarr

Make Archery Great again

So with many new changes in pvp and combat area (the epic amour changes, priest reworks) the archery has been left out. My idea how to make archery great again and sorry for freedomers but this pvp suggestion(feel free to offer feedback tho) is to make the pvp in to rock - paper - scissor. So the current meta dictates that the side with more priests win. The why is priests bonuses, nukes and heals. My problem with that is that there is no real downside in pvp to be a priest and no actual counter except - get more priests. So my suggestion. Make it so that when casting spell the priest equips his statuette (like in animation) with 2 hands and is not able to block arrows or parry hits. I think there should be a buff for 30% less damage thru arrows for archery so it wont be totally OP.  Additionally i think you should not be able to parry with bow, which would make it so that in melee range with a fighter, bow is also a big risk. 

So what would that change? It would make archery as a real actual counter for priests. At the moment you can see in the past battles the front line guys sitting there casting and there is no actual counter as the range for some spells are 10+ tiles. This new suggestion would make it  so that everytime you cast, you make a target out of yourself and only having priests does not win you battles anymore. It will be more about timing, positsioning and teamwork. Need a LoF, get your fighters ready to engage the archers if needed. Need to protecte someone, but they are spell spamming, archer them. Is your priests getting hit by archers, rush them in melee and protect your priests. Of course i think there should be some changes so for example priests would get a bigger buff on leather/cloth and archers in studded. All of this should make it so that there will be a counter to every way of fighting and every way would be useful. I think these changes would affect all kingdoms chaos/epic and thus i am interested in the feedback of this idea. 

So please add constructive feedback and please no KvK.

2 minutes ago, Wulfgarr said:

Make it so that when casting spell the priest equips his statuette (like in animation) with 2 hands and is not able to block arrows or parry hits.

+1. This makes sense; I was actually surprised it's not already like this. (This could apply to sorcery staffs, as well).

Could also allow for more diverse mechanics (say, verbal spellcasting: significantly weaker than a full channel of power, but faster, and no need to stop blocking/attacking).

4 minutes ago, Wulfgarr said:

I think there should be a buff for 30% less damage thru arrows for archery so it wont be totally OP.

Is archery -already- OP? All you're doing is making priests more vulnerable while casting, don't see any reason to nerf archery overall for that.

Granted, I'm familiar with anti-archery spells in other games, and I'd like it here if priests were physically weak like mages in other games, but spellcasters are also monster SotG melee beserkers. :( (Gah! Why, Wurm, why!)

5 minutes ago, Wulfgarr said:

Additionally i think you should not be able to parry with bow, which would make it so that in melee range with a fighter, bow is also a big risk. 

Why nerf archery here too? Makes sense you could parry with a bow, maybe even whip out a knife.

• Like 1

if anything just lower the block chance while casting spells

• Like 2

Honestly?  Keep this a PvP server only change, and everyone will likely be very happy (hunting solo as a priest would suck otherwise).

Remember, archers massively outrange priests, so any counter to them is going to have to cover a lot of ground while being bombarded by priests.

I like the idea of priests having a tougher time blocking hits while casting. I don't however think the current system is broken, though. I don't see fights (and I'm in most fights, I think) where people are winning because of priests. So while I like your suggestion, I don't think it is going to change your ability to win fights since it will just add another meta for you to adjust to.

Melee still trumps long range spell casting, because you can't move while casting spells. You might see 1 guy casting a spell while a group of fighters rush a target. Most people don't stand still when bodies are dropping, in my videos. They're swinging a big stick instead. Spell spam is not the "problem" at the moment. So I disagree that this change will solve the proposed imbalance, because I just do not see this imbalance anywhere in real fights atm to begin with. Where are people dying to spells? I actually am clueless on where that is coming from. If anything, I've seen pillar spells used like normal, less healing spells being used than normal, and some skirmishes initiated by a shard of ice to inflict hurting status on a called target. I'm not seeing 20 priests nuke people. I'm seeing a ton of coordinated axes dice people up, even people trying to cast LoF, etc. Actually, I'm seeing a few of your guys get butchered while casting LoF or Scorn of Libila, even without worse chances of blocking while spell casting. So if anything, I'd expect this change to make stuff harder for TC based on recent fights. It would also be harder for WU casters, but that is realistically only a few people per fight and once the rush begins no spells are being casted except by maybe 1 guy in the back, hard to reach.

I like the suggestion about harder to block while casting. I've actually lost 1v1s to priests because they tank well and cast heal on themselves mid fight. This might help with that. I don't see it addressing any imbalances associated with priests in huge group fights though, because most of huge fight damage dealt is melee, not priest damage spells.

1 hour ago, Etherdrifter said:

Honestly?  Keep this a PvP server only change, and everyone will likely be very happy (hunting solo as a priest would suck otherwise).

Why?  So that trolls don't pull out a bow and shoot you?

58 minutes ago, khatanka said:

Casting spells are short range.

Archery are longe range.

FYI, casting is not only short range, and archery is not only long range.

Shard of Ice: Ranged offensive spell, you can cast it over a distance of 10 tiles.

Fireheart: Creates a burn wound at the chest, has a 10 tile range.

Short bow: This weapon is best used at 5 tiles range, or 20 m when looking through a spyglass.

Medium bow: This weapon is best used at 10 tiles range, or 40 m when looking through a spyglass.

I don't know the limits of some of the newer spells, but I suspect also about 10 tiles. Inferno is about 12-13 tiles.

Edited by Xallo
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2019 at 12:09 AM, Roccandil said:

Is archery -already- OP? All you're doing is making priests more vulnerable while casting, don't see any reason to nerf archery overall for that.

Why nerf archery here too? Makes sense you could parry with a bow, maybe even whip out a knife.

I agree with the other points so will answer to these.  First of all currently archery is useless. After you dehorse the enemy you should not take out the bow as it is supereasy to block them. So i think archery is far from OP. 

Well maybe make it low parry rate(tbh i think it might be now low already)

On 2/9/2019 at 12:37 AM, Rakki said:

if anything just lower the block chance while casting spells

That wont do it. Or it has to be significant enough so you cant stay in front line casting spells wihtout anyone being able to touch you IMO, but ty for feedback. 

On 2/9/2019 at 2:56 AM, Deathangel said:

I like the idea of priests having a tougher time blocking hits while casting. I don't however think the current system is broken, though. I don't see fights (and I'm in most fights, I think) where people are winning because of priests. So while I like your suggestion, I don't think it is going to change your ability to win fights since it will just add another meta for you to adjust to.

Melee still trumps long range spell casting, because you can't move while casting spells. You might see 1 guy casting a spell while a group of fighters rush a target. Most people don't stand still when bodies are dropping, in my videos. They're swinging a big stick instead. Spell spam is not the "problem" at the moment. So I disagree that this change will solve the proposed imbalance, because I just do not see this imbalance anywhere in real fights atm to begin with. Where are people dying to spells? I actually am clueless on where that is coming from. If anything, I've seen pillar spells used like normal, less healing spells being used than normal, and some skirmishes initiated by a shard of ice to inflict hurting status on a called target. I'm not seeing 20 priests nuke people. I'm seeing a ton of coordinated axes dice people up, even people trying to cast LoF, etc. Actually, I'm seeing a few of your guys get butchered while casting LoF or Scorn of Libila, even without worse chances of blocking while spell casting. So if anything, I'd expect this change to make stuff harder for TC based on recent fights. It would also be harder for WU casters, but that is realistically only a few people per fight and once the rush begins no spells are being casted except by maybe 1 guy in the back, hard to reach.

I like the suggestion about harder to block while casting. I've actually lost 1v1s to priests because they tank well and cast heal on themselves mid fight. This might help with that. I don't see it addressing any imbalances associated with priests in huge group fights though, because most of huge fight damage dealt is melee, not priest damage spells.

I think after the buff to magic dr it was changed quite a bit, but still the issue is there is no counter to priests except another priest. I think this could make coordination even better as all sides can be good at archery - mage - melee aspects and switching between it. 

On 2/9/2019 at 5:09 AM, khatanka said:

Casting spells are short range.

Archery are longe range.

Should try new spells, some are 10+ tiles. I think upto 20 tiles so yeah.. this is wrong statement.