Sign in to follow this  
Malena

Branded animals are safer off-deed than they are on-deed

I have always assumed that if you have a horse which is branded to your deed and is saddled, it is safe to park anywhere on the same server and no-one will be able to steal it as long as the horses permissions do not allow. This however, is not true.

I had a situation happen recently where I discovered some of my saddled and branded horses missing from my island. I had just parked them all over the place, assuming they are 100% safe. 

However, since my settlement allows non-citizens to LEAD animals on my deed (a setting I need, because I have a horse market) this allowed someone to just come and snatch my own branded and saddled horses away. These horses had the Xmas gift saddlebags, so I was pretty devastated by this loss. 

The issue is the fact that the settlement permissions OVERRIDE the animal's own permissions. Surely this cannot be right?

I did some tests with a friend who has no permissions to my deed and he was able to lead my branded horse away. 

What makes this even more alarming, is that even if I could just make sure to park my horses inside of fences from now on on my own deed, what happens if I visit someone else's deed and dismount. If the deed owner changes the permissions of their deed to allow leading, anyone will be able to take my horse.

This needs to be changed so that animal specific permissions OVERRIDE the settlement permissions, and not vica versa.

• Like 12

This is a huge problem! What is the sense in branding animals if deed permissions will override the settings?

Because they are branded, even if they lead them away, your items should still be on the horse. So hopefully a GM can return your horses and items to you.  I would hope that anyone taking advantage of such a bug would have some severe consequences knowing the lead ability is unintended.

Edited by Seriphina
  • Like 3

I wonder now if branded horses are able to be tamed or killed on another deed that allows it.

If that isn't the case, you can track down your horse with the manage animals window, and it should still be where the current "owner" lead it to, inclusive its gear.

• Like 2

Malena, we will be contacting you to assist you in this matter.

This appears to be unintended.  The Devs are looking into it.

• Like 9

I need to check this now, as I am pretty sure that some of my alts who happen to own other deeds were not able to lead and/or ride my branded horses (which to me was pretty annoying tbh as I had to log in the main deed holder to give the individuals permission on each horse.)  I just assumed that my horses would be safe due to this.  Is what you are saying that if another deed has been granted "lead" permission on your deed, they can lead any horse off deed regardless of the horse being branded?

9 hours ago, Malena said:

what happens if I visit someone else's deed and dismount. If the deed owner changes the permissions

Great point! I'm glad this is unintended and will be looked at, hopefully fixed soon. Of course tho, Malena, you can still go get your horses back right? Using locate animal from you animal list? I hope so.

Thanks posting this, is a great warning to all.

TeeeBOMB

• Like 2

So those of you asking about the locate animal feature. That was the first thing I did, was to see if the stolen horses showed up "not on deed" anywhere. How sweet it would have been to track down the thief! But alas, I couldn't see them in the list at all. Either they were killed, died due to sickness or starvation (Because they were not venerable at the time at least) or taken to another server perhaps? How does the game actually behave if a branded horses is taken over the server border using creature cages? Does the animal have to be on the same server to show up on the list? 

Fairyshine: No, I have it set so that non-citizens may lead on my deed. This is so that customers coming to buy horses from my horse market can then lead the horses they buy away. And while they should be able to lead non-branded horses away, they should not be able to lead branded horses. And that's the issue here. 

Enki: Thanks a bunch. 

• Like 1

It seems to me that this abduction of a branded horse from deed is a malicious exploit  of that server vulnerability by the perpetrator. It would be good when GM and Devs could check the logs to identify and punish the villain in case the horse did not just vanish by a bug without player interaction.

Nobody can tell that he or she abducted a branded horse on deed with innocent motives. Such players ought to be punished.

• Like 2

Could not agree more with the OP. But I also want to add something that goes along with it. 

Creature cages unloaded onto deeded areas often cannot be reloaded by the owners because the deed perms overide the cage perms. 

I know Iam not alone in the frustration this has caused. 

• Like 3

On 2/9/2019 at 7:41 AM, Malena said:

So those of you asking about the locate animal feature. That was the first thing I did, was to see if the stolen horses showed up "not on deed" anywhere. How sweet it would have been to track down the thief! But alas, I couldn't see them in the list at all. Either they were killed, died due to sickness or starvation (Because they were not venerable at the time at least) or taken to another server perhaps? How does the game actually behave if a branded horses is taken over the server border using creature cages? Does the animal have to be on the same server to show up on the list? 

You cannot load them if they have gear - so should still be on the server. I'm not sure if the locate (from manage animals) will work if you are on the surface and the horse is in a mine...

EDIT: yes locate works that way too.

Edited by Jaz

2 hours ago, CrazyDad543 said:

Could not agree more with the OP. But I also want to add something that goes along with it. 

Creature cages unloaded onto deeded areas often cannot be reloaded by the owners because the deed perms overide the cage perms. 

I know Iam not alone in the frustration this has caused. 

I'm not sure it is a bad mechanic - but a pop-up question would be great to make sure you want to get your item stuck on the deed. Event notification will not work with the instant unload timer on deed.

• Like 1

I doubt anyone can kill a branded horse but they could park it on packed dirt and then it dies.  Which should be deemed griefing.

Edited by Fairyshine

On 2/8/2019 at 12:11 PM, Malena said:

This needs to be changed so that animal specific permissions OVERRIDE the settlement permissions, and not vice versa.

+1 /I kno' this is not suggestion section, but problem is well explained above/

Clearly this has yet to be addressed. As with Malena above, yesterday one of my citizens wanted to go to the dragon slaying, but discovered his horse was missing. He had left it in a pen attached to his house; branded, saddled, and ready to go. He tracked it down with Manage Animal, inside a locked pasture on a nearby deed. A very nice GM helped retrieve the animal this morning, but informed me that my deed settings allowed this to happen.

He has since put locks on his pen, but branded animals should not be leadable by non-citizens, just because my deed needs unbranded animals to be led for sales purposes.

• Like 3