Sign in to follow this  
Ekcin

Remove ql Penalty on Branches

I recognize that branches found when foraging (it is not unimportant to raise that skill as a number of herbs and materials such as sassafras, nettles, nutmeg, cocoa bean, mushrooms, and woad can only be won by forage/botanize) are almost completely useless except for fueling a furnace with. At my carpentry skill of 87.9 and woodcutting skill of 62.7, with a ql 70 carving knife, ql when creating a shaft or kindling (the 2 things reasonably craftable from branches) I get a ql of 8.59 from a ql 51.3 branch. As branches date from the very beginnings of Wurm, I suspect outdated historical design behind that wierd behaviour. Please change.

Edited by Ekcin
addendum
  • Like 1

In the grand scheme of Wurm, branches are actually pretty recent. They seem to be intended as a last ditch effort for people who lost all of their tools and are building back up from nothing (crude axe/knife). Train up your woodcutting if you want good QL wooden items.

Sigh .. I was not speaking of my woodcutting skill which is ways better than my foraging skill. I also get iron rock from foraging which is widely useless now and I indeed discard it. But it has no ql penalty, though iron rocks are no less common in foraging than branches.

But for beginners who do a lot of foraging - and be it for the coins - the iron rocks provide relatively good though tiny lumps which are better than their mining skill for quite a time, so they are truly useful for them - and were for me til my mining became much better than my foraging. The branch, in comparison, is useless soon, as even a complete beginner will soon cut trees with ways better quality. And no, a better ql branch would not replace the need for woodcutting like the iron rock does not replace the need for mining. It would just be a gentle help for those beginners. And I fail to see any reasonable cause against.

Currently the only branches found through foraging are birchwood branches.

As someone who has acquired a fair few branches through foraging and more recently through archaeology, I must say I love the range of different branches now available through arch/restoration.

There is currently a demand for some of the rarer wood-types for pegs, shafts, wood-scraps and all these can be made from branches.

Some of these branches are quite challenging and time consuming to piece together through arch, so what I would like to see, is the same (or similar) wide range of wood-types for the branches found by foraging, as currently found through arch. 

I think it makes logical sense to find the same (or at least similar) branches in the present day, as the ones recovered through archaeology. Just a thought. :) 

• Like 2