Sign in to follow this  
ChampagneDragon

Can We Talk About The Lag On Indy Now?

Tonight in alliance chat, four people left early because the lag that has appeared lately has made it impossible to do certain tasks. This seems to have started with the last patch. It's not just around Haven. I am the only one at my deed and I quit grinding because I got sick of sitting there waiting to see if an action actually happened.

The de-synch issues have also become unbearable. Lead horses, you have no idea where they are to stop leading them. Stand on top of something, and it says you're too far away. Try to load critters into cages, they show four tiles over, so you have no idea where they really are. Leading they show as way off to the side, or completely invisible..

Is this only Indy? 

• Like 5

It's been ongoing for a bit now, but we're investigating what's causing it. It's not related to havens landing but we'll be doing polling checks. A restart is planned tomorrow morning and we'll be going from there. 

• Like 2

Its unbearable. My bud just logged off because he can't mine with the lag. Myself and my other bud went to Xanadu to hunt, and another is heading to Cele to his deed because he can't play like this anymore. The lag is worse than Xanadu.

• Like 2

Yeah, great a bandaid on a bleeding gash. I hope this gets sorted.

• Like 2

Can someone come and open the door to my room for me so I can reach my bed and log off? 

• Like 2

There's been lag on inde ever since the halloween drop updates timeframe though (i don't know why the yearly graph keeps moving the start later into the year, it used to show its start in oct)

lag-year.png

• Like 2

I would love a lot if the devs could comment a bit about the lag issue, the recent one as well as general lag and latency issues over all of Wurm, including Xanadu, and give a larger image of the problems and work requirements around it. Beside the legitimate reasoning about lag hardships there is so much rumour, misconception, and bickering about that topic that a bit more transparency might help a lot for more factual discussions.

• Like 5

To be honest, lag on Xanadu has worsened again as well. 

Sailing is impossible without constant "You are out of sync" messages. 

Riding a horse is impossible without constant "You are out of sync" messages.

Controlling a wagon is impossible without constant "You are out of sync" messages.

Fighting has become even more of a gamble, because you stand there and suddenly 20 attacks happen at the same time and either you or your enemy/enemies die. Helping each other out when fighting with multiple alts and healing spells, etc. is impossible. 

Taming has become even more of a hazard than it was before. One moment you stand there taming a champ, you move out of the pen, a minute later you are suddenly dead. 

Doors and gates opening is ALWAYS, without exception, delayed at this point, no matter the time of day you're playing. 

Even while walking or going at slow speeds, the server can't keep up with your actions as of late. It happened a bunch of times that I moved along a path without any error messages and suddenly found myself a ways back after getting reconnected.

Chatting becomes aggravating because your responses don't go through, or all pop up at the same time.

Disconnects are so frequent - I have logs where dozens of disconnects and reconnects happened not even minutes apart. 

I have tested my own internet, especially at the worst times of lag, and I have found no issues. Other people always experience the same issues when I write about it. I'm not sure what is going on, but I highly agree with @Ekcin- it would be great to have some official comments about the issue and what we can expect short-term and long-term. I understand issues like this are difficult to solve, but reading back through the forums, lag has been an almost constant part of the game. Might it be time to switch server hosts? Replace some old code? I don't know the cause, and I won't pretend to know the solution, but I know that this is a serious problem and nothing to just shrug off. I would be more than happy to get a response from the developers as to why this is happening and what steps or time-line we can expect on it. 

I obviously play the game a lot, so my reports are not to discredit anyone or anything. I mean to do nothing but show how severely this situation impacts us as players. However, I do have multiple premium characters, and due to the lag it becomes impossible to play them efficiently. At this point, it is even an impossibility to play my main alone efficiently. This is an issue, as I pay for a service that is not being provided - the ability to play - and this is interfered with by all of the server side lag. 

We are occasionally reimbursed with a bit of Sleep Bonus, which is only useful when we could actually efficiently use the one we had before, which is also something that is not possible at the moment. Using sleep bonus at any point is a waste, because the time in between actions is insane, and actions are often stuck for minutes on "finishing" before the next action even takes place. So, while this is done with great intention, as long as the servers are still so unstable, we can not even use our reimbursement as we should, which is really a shame. 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Retrograde said:

It's been ongoing for a bit now, but we're investigating what's causing it. It's not related to havens landing but we'll be doing polling checks. A restart is planned tomorrow morning and we'll be going from there. 

This situation should have been publicly addressed months ago. Waiting until your customers get so pissed off that they have to come here to get this kind of lip service, is simply more poor customer relations. 

*in before roll-back to mid October to remove an update that may or may not be the cause 

• Like 1

Moved from Xanadu about a year ago because of lag, now im on Indy struggling with the same...

Where to run now? Maybe other games probably as some people do  ?

• Like 1

Yep. Logged in after the "maintenance" and it now takes 20 seconds to get through a door. This is starting to get insulting.

*logs off*

• Like 1

4:30 GMT +1 server had 30 sek lag spikes as all the time, the server is now getting to a point it is wast of time to log in.
I am sad now I spend real money on silver to make a deed on Inde, I am told by the others this lag is something new, what gives me hope.

I biggest concern is I have 3 new players on my deed, not even a week old players, and they get this lag as there first impression of the game.
I think it is great we get 5 hours sleep bones from time to time, but what dos it help when I wast the sleep bones on lag spikes?

I don't want to sound to much of a cry baby, but me like Wurm, me like to play Wurm ?

Supper happy to game bag to the game after 5 years brake, like a total new game, you guys do a damn good job with the game, now let me play it hehe.

• Like 2

raise premium by 50 cents and buy a better server pls. i want to actually play :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Willslaphansien said:

Moved from Xanadu about a year ago because of lag, now im on Indy struggling with the same...

Where to run now? Maybe other games probably as some people do  ?

No lag on Epic! :D

• Like 1

Well, killed the server until further notice.  That's one way to kill the lag.  Hope this gets fixed soon.  No hurries, as long as it really gets fixed.

Please tell us what was causing the lag once you solve the issue.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, John said:

"secretly the plan all along, to lag them all so we go to epic" :D

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Vroomfondel said:

Well, killed the server until further notice.  That's one way to kill the lag.  Hope this gets fixed soon.  No hurries, as long as it really gets fixed.

I can only agree, kill the server and forces on fix the problem.

I like that the problem is getting fixt so I can have a nice game, then get in to the lag fest there is at the moment 

Even on the smaller server of Deliverance there are random times when the game will just freeze for up to 30 seconds or so. So I think this situation may be game wide but just not as excessive as on Independence now. On Deli I guess this temporary freeze up started about a month ago. There has been a lot of tinkering done to "improve performance" with recent updates so my speculation is that the current situation is related to that.

=Ayes=

6 hours ago, John said:

To be fair Elevation has been hideous since the tower update

lag-year.png

• Like 2

hard to notice that when theres 0 people there and if there is he's probably afk

• Like 4

And this is how my bison ran tonight trying to go down the road. Believe it or not, this was from Valyrian Steel to Harmony Lake, until I got the dreaded f[22:41:26] Your position on the server is not updated. Please move slower. 

DNbnw1A.jpg