Sign in to follow this  
Niki

This game is flawed! Balance PVP.

So if you play on freedom this 100% won't be a issue for you unless you enjoy sparring at impalong or something but if you play on pvp servers it's a real threat. The current PvP meta slightly forces you into a priest role, if you're not a priest you're worthless fodder. Melee combat isn't what chaos and epic is about anymore. It's about priest spellspaming your opponent with everything from afar, having no real threat wearing leather armour that gives a 30% casting bonus.

The damage on these spells is over-tuned even still. I realize there was a recent pass at balance but it changed absolutely nothing really! There isn't enough diminishing returns and checks in place, and the resistances are too short.  A group of 20 picks a target and tells them exactly who to spellspam. Seconds later that enemy dies. At least with archery you can block arrows, why can't we block spells? Heals take to long to cast and are easily interrupted by a super short cast of tangleweave, the placement of a LoF is so tricky and difficult because of this + the timer.

All in all, Sindusk and others devs who made this content, I respectfully have to admit this is some of the worst game mechanics I've ever seen in a video game. A lot of the priest stuff was a improvement for the game yes. However, I feel like pvp got zero balance and it's just zerg storm of spells. Changing the gameplay like this was a mistake and should of stayed as a Wurm Unlimited Mod. Question for devs, do you play any other PvP games for inspiration or just Wurm? If I wanted a Harry Potter simulator I'd play one. Wurm PvP should be melee with just a hint of priests. Not priests only.

Please balance PvP. The wizard meta is a joke. This isn't fun. Personally It makes me not want to login or play Wurm.

There is more to address and hopefully others chime in and give feedback. Thanks.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Niki said:

A group of 20 picks a target and tells them exactly who to spellspam. Seconds later that enemy dies.

is that any different than getting slapped by 20 huge axes with a bunch of truestrikes? if 20 people decide they want you dead you're probs gonna die regardless of what they fight you with

seems more like battles with larger numbers are happening, and you're looking for an excuse for why you lost them, priests were always insanely strong for pvp, nothing's changed.

• Like 11

If I remember correctly some unpopular med paths had elemental resistance. Doesn't that work against spells? 

guys pls nerf weapon damage, if there are 20 people on me i die too quickly

• Like 15

yeah but u can block 20 people, maybe, theres a possibility

for a bit at least

but 20 spells, cant really use a shield to block those.. just try and get out of range or break LOS

Edited by Oreo
  • Like 2

[20:15:53] <Niki> do you guys have a life

[20:15:59] <Niki> bunch of nerds

[21:01:10] <Niki> pls fix the WU art if you made it

[21:03:39] <Niki> stop using inferno [21:03:45] <Niki> im going to get it nerfed

[21:05:21] <Niki> i dont think spellspamming is fun and engaging

I think your ideas / suggestions are clouded by bias and judgement not based with any rational sense of reason honestly.

Edited by Firecat
  • Like 3

A few points.

Damaging spells can also be interrupted by tangleweave, as well as breaking line of sight.

If you've come up against a 20v1 situation and immediately died to spells (after the last update with balance changes to spell damage and resists), I'd be interested in those logs. The idea behind resists is that it gives a severe diminishing returns for stacking multiple priests against a single target.

If you have 20 people doing a coordinated attack against a single target, should that person really survive?

• Like 16

As Budda said

If you have 20 people doing a coordinated attack against a single target, should that person really survive?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Budda said:

A few points.

Damaging spells can also be interrupted by tangleweave, as well as breaking line of sight.

If you've come up against a 20v1 situation and immediately died to spells (after the last update with balance changes to spell damage and resists), I'd be interested in those logs. The idea behind resists is that it gives a severe diminishing returns for stacking multiple priests against a single target.

If you have 20 people doing a coordinated attack against a single target, should that person really survive?

Good effort m8, but don't bother explaining it to Niki. We did... over and over.. She doesnt understand 'losing' so she'll always come up with something.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Niki said:

A group of 20 picks a target and tells them exactly who to spellspam. Seconds later that enemy dies.

Do you have any examples? I'd really like to see that

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Budda said:

as well as breaking line of sight.

Not trolling, but how are we supposed to do this in open PVP?

Would Stone walls work, or be a possible rework? (Don't block movement due to bugs, just LoS for arrows and spells)

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

is that any different than getting slapped by 20 huge axes with a bunch of truestrikes? if 20 people decide they want you dead you're probs gonna die regardless of what they fight you with

seems more like battles with larger numbers are happening, and you're looking for an excuse for why you lost them, priests were always insanely strong for pvp, nothing's changed.

Truestrike is overpowered and I'd say it's in need of balance also.

7 minutes ago, Firecat said:

[20:15:53] <Niki> do you guys have a life

[20:15:59] <Niki> bunch of nerds

[21:01:10] <Niki> pls fix the WU art if you made it

[21:03:39] <Niki> stop using inferno [21:03:45] <Niki> im going to get it nerfed

[21:05:21] <Niki> i dont think spellspamming is fun and engaging

I think your ideas / suggestions are clouded by bias and judgement not based with any rational sense of reason honestly.

Don't take stuff I say/banter out of context.

7 minutes ago, Oreo said:

yeah but u can block 20 people, maybe, theres a possibility

for a bit at least

but 20 spells, cant really use a shield to block those.. just try and get out of range or break LOS

We should be able to block spells like arrows, all I do is run to get out of range to break the spell. The range is too high especially with things like inferno.

6 minutes ago, Budda said:

A few points.

Sure but doesn't make it fun. Tangleweave takes too long to cast even. You should remove at least 50% of damage and increase favor for damage spells. Or make melee stand a chance, that would involve giving shields spell blocking.

5 minutes ago, Vomusu said:

Do you have any examples? I'd really like to see that

The dirt bridge on our last pvp against your kingdom. Perfect example.

Works kinda good as it is now tbh.

I was really suprised about the range on a certain of these spells though.

• Like 1

I've love to see path of insanity and priesthood be mutually exclusive. You can either be a monster melee warrior, or a leather-clad spellcaster, but not both.

• Like 1

I tried to warn Sindusk about reverting meta back to priests being overpowered and the insane necessity they were to win we had years ago (think being bl in like 2013~) when I was testing his balances to spells before I quit the team , but he said this is what he wanted and then quit anyway too.

But you know, if magic is meant to be as strong as melee, then those things called armor and shields need to have the same effect vs magic that it has vs melee.  Almost like that thing called archery, where shields and armor matter as well.  Make your soul strength and armor affect damage taken by aoe spells (firepillar etc), and shield/armor/soul strength affect damage taken by direct target spells (fireheart etc), and you probably don't even need resistances at that point?  Have your spells like fireheart be comparable to small weapons, spells like worm brains comparable to medium weapons, spells like smite comparable to huge weapons, and cast timers/cooldowns become the balance vs the fact you can cast it from a safe distance vs melee attacks

• Like 5

With the priest overhaul the pvp combat and how much use different med paths have changed significantly. I think there is ought to be a free meditation path transfer because of the priest overhaul which effected pvp a lot and also brought new mechanics like heal resistance (which didnt effect most of the healing before the overhaul) and spell resistance. 

Edited by Maiev

2 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

I tried to warn Sindusk about reverting meta back to priests being overpowered and the insane necessity they were to win we had years ago (think being bl in like 2013~) when I was testing his balances to spells before I quit the team , but he said this is what he wanted and then quit anyway too.

But you know, if magic is meant to be as strong as melee, then those things called armor and shields need to have the same effect vs magic that it has vs melee.  Almost like that thing called archery, where shields and armor matter as well.  Make your soul strength and armor affect damage taken by aoe spells (firepillar etc), and shield/armor/soul strength affect damage taken by direct target spells (fireheart etc), and you probably don't even need resistances at that point?  Have your spells like fireheart be comparable to small weapons, spells like worm brains comparable to medium weapons, spells like smite comparable to huge weapons, and cast timers/cooldowns become the balance vs the fact you can cast it from a safe distance vs melee attacks

Good post Gary, thanks.

2 minutes ago, Maiev said:

think there is ought to be a free meditation path transfer because of the priest overhaul which effected pvp a lot and also brought new mechanics like heal resistance

Path of insanity gets unlimited free swaps off to other paths, you can swap to other paths if you want on a med rug, you jsut have to grind again if you swap back to insanity.

This update made path of love less useful with the healing resistance , path of power being more useful because of the very powerful spells, path of insanity becoming more powerful in pvp if it effects spell dmg and in pve regardless of spell dmg because the reduction is more important with healing factors being not as useful as before. 

How is a free transfer from insanity because of a much older change a fix for all this? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Niki said:

The dirt bridge on our last pvp against your kingdom. Perfect example.

I mean logs.

i think most people are overlooking something here....

there are 2 groups actively pvp'ing on chaos atm, one of these groups is against the spell rework

the other one knows how to adapt to a different meta, are we done?

• Like 9