Sign in to follow this  
Farmerbob

Another meaningful use for wood scraps is needed

How about a way to use masses of wood scraps to create small amounts of fertilizer?

The Mulch Pile would be built similar to Coal Piles.  Lots of wood scraps, and require some other organics as well.  Maybe some dirt or logs.

Over time the mulch pile would degrade, creating fertilizer.

Fertilizer could be used to enhance the growth rate of crops, grass, trees, bushes, etc.

Viola!  A viable use for the incredible masses of wood scraps that most of us generate.

Side benefit:  Less server side cleanup of hundreds of thousands of wood scraps that are never used for anything.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, VelvetSun said:

+1

Maybe add worms to help degrade and add nutrition.

We have wurms, dont we?

Good idea!

Woodscraps are also perfect candidates to accomplish the "sacc almost unbelievable number of items" journal goal...

1 hour ago, Elwood2 said:

oi,leave mah scraps alone! -1

I knew Elwood would be all over this one.

• Like 1

I am not liking this "fertilizer" idea. Why? It may encourage the Devs to nerf the current crop growth, harvest quantity and quality to compensate for the slight gain that this fertilized would provide. I have seen this time and again when adding new "benefits" to current functions. It is either a net sum minimal loss or a zero effect with more work added in this instance for growing crops. Remember way back when when crop harvest numbers were not effected by tending the fields? Same samie would happen with this "fertilizer" thing.

Why not let us make winding sort of paths (pavement classification) from them as some others have suggested and pictured. It would be pretty hard to nerf anything with this suggestion. Anyway, I find woodscraps very useful to put into bulk bins for fuel in the public mines that I maintain for others. Unless some guy at Haven's Landing decides to take them all and create kindlings to sell to others that is. Oh yeah, 1000's kindlings can be made from them too which will raise woodcutting skill. They are pretty useful I would think, contrary to your closing statement. Heck, some even make those goofy pass through "fences" from them.

=Ayes=

• Like 2

It's useful for paper production. First we need to add a watermill which was a medieval technology. Since rivers are not added and probably never will be, this could be placed near a body of water - and we'll assume it works. The woodscraps will be turned into paper pulp then can be made into corrugated cardboard and then made into cardboard boxes. Alternatively this update could improve the taming skill even!  Tame a wildcat and put it in the box now it's a passive house cat. If it fits it sits. 

• Like 1

so many scraps rip'd from the wurm-iverse with repair 6250...

If you're having too many of these.. you're not using them, that's the problem, not the lack of uses, you could...:

- make paper

- make kindling

- could be used for repairing grind like in the 6250 repairs goal

- woven fences as decoration if that fits anything around you

- burn them

- burn them

- burn them

- burn them

- burn them, combine a stack up to 96-98kg~(it's capped) and BURN THEM 

So many options already. (Well .. 5.. and I'm pretty sure this was not meant to be more than fire fuel, It's just SAD.. that we have to convert scraps to kindling to start a fire..)

+1 for "rough kindling" from scraps.. maybe adding a bit of difficulty for the scaps to act as kindling or no difficulty added.. to start a fire with just scraps instead of having to make kindling and than lit the forge/oven/smelter/still/kiln/whateverelse.. for all the not so important actions that do not produce better ql from this..(hq kindling and campfires for example);

It's probably next best use for the scrap's future imo.

Edited by Finnn

Woodchips/mulch would be interesting as an option on which to grow trees/bushes instead of grass.

• Like 3

On 2/9/2019 at 12:01 AM, LionIX said:

How about woodchips as a way to farm mushrooms?

open your own suggestion for mushroom farming this is a good idea 

• Like 2