Sign in to follow this  
Gwyn

Allow Rare Bulks to be Binned (with Loss of Rarity)

As things stand, if you try to place a rare bulk item into a BSB, crate, etc. you are outright stopped from doing so and you get this message:

[10:51:56] The X would lose its rarity.

But sometimes a player really wouldn't mind the X losing its rarity and would prefer to have a plain X inside a bulk bin instead. Rarity should, and does, potentially grant advantages, but it should never create problems for the player as it does right now (I'm looking at you, awkward stacks of rare support beams, slabs, etc. and you, too, slowly rotting rare shards of all kinds). Not everyone uses religion and can sacrifice, nor do all of us who do have a deity care to sac rares for various reasons (one being that it can block food affinities and CCFP fills, another being that for many players good food is easy to get and rare saccables just aren't worth the fuss).

Proposal:

Put the event message above inside a pop-up window followed by the question 'Place it in the container anyway?' (or similar) and yes/no options.

• Like 1

+1

even though I would probably lose a rare by accident.

Maybe only add it if you toggle lawful?

Edited by Magg

Wouldn't it be easier to just move the item to somewhere else or just put it to altar for later saccing than answering a popup window? 

Maybe toggle on/off in profile a better option? 

+1 only if pop up message appear to confirm. Also same for enchanted ones. And allow to smelt enchanted items there are a lot of archeology junk I want to smelt for steel or bronze but can't because of useless enchants...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

I'd rather just allow rare items to be bulk stored.

Same here, but my suggestion assumes that's unlikely to happen, what with LMCs being a reliable silver sink (read: revenue stream for CCAB).

Edited by Gwyn
clarity

3 hours ago, Maiev said:

or just put it to altar for later saccing than answering a popup window?  

5 hours ago, Gwyn said:

Not everyone uses religion and can sacrifice, nor do all of us who do have a deity care to sac rares for various reasons (one being that it can block food affinities and CCFP fills, another being that for many players good food is easy to get and rare saccables just aren't worth the fuss).

You kinda missed the point there bud.

About moving it somewhere else: For what? Wait for it to decay and clutter the area in the meantime? Might aswell put it in the trash heap then, and why would you want to do that? It's like the system gave you trash by design if that's more encouraged, when it's supposed to be "valuable". Something isn't right about that.

That's not the only point where useless rares are rather a grievance than anything else, just like rare maple sap - giving you a basically useless kg of harvest at best (unless you immediately process it, which is not the usual case) or ruining a whole trees worth of harvest at worst if you don't immediately dump that ###### somewhere. Stupid rares certainly are a legitimate gripe.

Back on topic: +1 and I'd also have the same popup for enchants (Such as nails made from fragments, always a gamble with those buggers if I have to put them in some loose chest and forget about them until they're nearly dust.) [EDIT: A damn, @kochinac beat me to that addition, didn't read your post, sorry,]

Sure, I could just dispel them, but my priests have better stuff to do, honestly. With how much time that'd take in comparison to just trashing such materials(It's just a set of nails or a branch after all.), it'd go to the trash 100% of the time, which again does not really make sense that it should be this way.

Edited by Flubb
  • Like 3

Popups will just make it annoying for people who don't want to deal with more popups and just want the rare item remain in the inventory with others going in the bsb. Having an option to toggle on or off putting rares to bsb gives choice to everyone. 

-1 cuz I am not a fan of additional popups in the game and don't want to accidently click yes and lose the rarity of my item 

literally on day 2 you can have 10 faith(I *THINK*, but it was some trivial time like that) to be able to sacrifice a rare material that you have no other use for... ONLY if you could get the benefit of 100 nutrition..(some have 70ql+ food.. heated.. you're pretty much ignoring rare junk at that point)

--edit

there's no logical reason to not follow a deity in wurm... every single one.. offers some benefits, penalty is loss of faith? when you're not a priest WHO CARES for that... get the benefits

--edit

I see NO reason to kill a nice shiny object like a slab or support beam.. plenty of people will improve some and dump them around as decoration, if you don't want yours .. sell it to somebody who dreams to have a shiny laying around.. problem solved or gift it away if money's not the issue.

put a checkbox that's out of focus, or setting in profile.. and I don't mind if people would rather kill a 'unique' item and turn it into common junk

sure +1

-1 if there's just text + [enter] to go around the warning(accidents happen.. we all know how we waste path abilities when farming, etc...)

also +1 for archaeology enchant loss warning with same exception, enchanted branches/shafts are bigger pita to store when it comes to saving unique woodtypes.

Edited by Finnn

1 minute ago, Finnn said:

enchanted branches/shafts are bigger pita to store when it comes to saving unique woodtypes.

I believe that's because they're classed as weapons, not wood, and so pick up the weapon enchant archaeology template. I have no idea why they're classed as weapons (if you're doing arch, you probably not desperate enough to use a shaft or branch as a weapon).

Both are terrible dps obtions.. better slap things to (own) death instead, right now only option is to find and annoy the sh.. out of priest.. asking to dispell 20-30 branches/shafts so you can dump them in a bsb, pathetic no matter which POV you have on your end.

anyway w/o further derail.. +1 if there's no accidental rare/ench item loss to mourn after slight unintentional drag over a bsb.. anything preventing the sadness of path ability wastes gets a +1, cheers

no for example when you make wooden bulk rares stack this would make them disappear.

Craftable storage for rare items which will stop decay is a better option.  Currently they go to alts or magical chests or forgotten somewhere and poof! A craftable item which can store rare items would be great.

• Like 3

Yes Fairyshine, I was just thinking that rares could have their own storage solution - would be lovely to have a new attractive and functional way to store rares in bulk on deed. 

Perhaps we could have fancy high volume versions of rares bulk storage solutions available to purchase from the NPC?

Failing that, maybe it could be as simple as getting a priest to 'Bless' an existing BSB or FSB so it could hold rares,

or perhaps existing Rare/Supreme BSB's and FSB's could be made to also hold rare items? - find a use for the shiny bins at last! :) 

Plenty of good ideas in this thread.

Edited by Muse
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Niki said:

no for example when you make wooden bulk rares stack this would make them disappear.

Well, no, because you'd still have to actually click 'yes' in the pop-up to derarify them. And wouldn't the rational solution be to fix the current flaw, rather than allow it to restrict future changes to the game? I.e. simply make it so wooden rares don't stack with plains, which would be a nice improvement to see regardless.

4 hours ago, Fairyshine said:

Craftable storage for rare items which will stop decay is a better option.  Currently they go to alts or magical chests or forgotten somewhere and poof! A craftable item which can store rare items would be great.

That seems like a fine parallel, alternative idea, but it kind of misses my point. A rare item should only gain functionality, never lose it. Specifically, the loss of bulk storageability often creates extra fuss and bother. We shouldn't be forced to juggle rare bulk items into alternative storage if we have no wish to use them for anything other than their basic purpose. Say I make 100 support beams to put into a crate for wagoner shipping; I should be able to put those 100 support beams into that crate when I'm done. Moments of inspiration shouldn't force me to go and gather up extra mats to replace the one or two that turned rare, which I would still have to do even if your craftable rare container was big enough to hold support beams.

7 hours ago, Muse said:

Yes Fairyshine, I was just thinking that rares could have their own storage solution - would be lovely to have a new attractive and functional way to store rares in bulk on deed. 

Perhaps we could have fancy high volume versions of rares bulk storage solutions available to purchase from the NPC?

Failing that, maybe it could be as simple as getting a priest to 'Bless' an existing BSB or FSB so it could hold rares,

or perhaps existing Rare/Supreme BSB's and FSB's could be made to also hold rare items? - find a use for the shiny bins at last! :) 

Plenty of good ideas in this thread.

Hmm this got me thinking. What if rare crates, bsbs and fsbs could store rare mats without loosing their rarity? And supreme ones could store rare and supreme materials? We need more uses for most of uselles rare things, perks like this would be nice :)

• Like 3

This reminds me of "You think you do, but you don't" without the irony of the original source...

For 1.. there's NOTHING unique in rare bsbs etc.. or the creation of such. ( read: I see no reason to randomly spike the price of 1s valued containers to something high.. for a while... also.. it's a broken* idea)

- Broken*? How? Well.. if it's a bsb.. and works as a bsb.. you're a victim of the way it works, you can put 2 or 20 rare logs, some less than full weight.. eventually you'll lose 1 log or rarity roll(whatever, right? ok..)

- - you can.... also put 20 rare moonmetal lumps which aren't full weight either.. you'll be able to pull out .. 5-7x 1kg

":trollface: problem?" Trade of 20 rolls for .. 1/3 of that.. also.. ql averages.. some of the good ql lumps/logs or w/e.. will later be trashy low ql, in some cases worth less on the market.

You want to hoard 200 junk tiny items, buy a merchant it's ~6euro.. or use an alt.. costs at little at 2s for 0decay on 99.98% of the items in the game, well maybe 50% if we include the food variety

On 2/5/2019 at 10:55 AM, Gwyn said:

Same here, but my suggestion assumes that's unlikely to happen, what with LMCs being a reliable silver sink (read: revenue stream for CCAB).

Hmm. For anything rare stored in a BSB, I can spend 2 silver to make an alt that can carry them forever without decay. Granted, storage capacity is somewhat limited, but an LMC can only hold so many rare shards anyhow, and for 50s I can buy 25 storage alts.

For anything rare stored in an FSB, I can make a larder and stash it there. I don't really need an LMC for that.

Still hoping for rares in BSBs/FSBs! :) (And pelts.)

Edited by Roccandil
  • Like 1

-1 Rares are Rare and should be used, if you don't want arch tools drop them where you find them. 

There are lots of trash items and such that archaeologists find in real if, not everything you find belongs in a museum or will be useful. That's just part of being realistic. 

If its not something you like don't bring it home, trash heap it. 

As for the rares with no real use, sell them or sac them, if you don't want to sac them sell them to someone who does. 

I do think rares should be storable in general, like in the magical chest, why they should be forced to be used before they decay unlike others is a strange concept, I can see why the devs wouldn't want people to stock pile, but if I was actually finding rare components for say a wagon I would like the option to keep them until I can make a full wagon out of rares. Having a craftable storage solution which maintains rarity is something I could get behind.

My personal opinion - for what it's worth - is that items in Large Chests and Storage Units should not take decay on deed if upkeep is above 30days, and this should include rares. 

People who want to "stock pile" already do. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Vaelir said:

My personal opinion - for what it's worth - is that items in Large Chests and Storage Units should not take decay on deed if upkeep is above 30days, and this should include rares. 

I'd include weapon and armor stands in that, as well as the crates in crate racks and the barrels in barrel racks!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Muse said:

perhaps existing Rare/Supreme BSB's and FSB's could be made to also hold rare items? - find a use for the shiny bins at last! :)

This would be a great solution and makes a good deal of logical sense since yes, those bins are rare themselves. They should also then restrict any non-rare from being put into them just as the current regular bins do for rare items. Fair is fair right? Tit for tat and all that.

Let's just keep Priests from poking their noses into this situation as the arbiters of special solutions.

=Ayes=

I think that adding rare mats should be an additional option for rare bins. We have to allow for owners of rare bins to continue using them in the same way as before if they wish.

Edited by Muse