Sign in to follow this  
Ayes

CoC Enchants Degrading Rapidly?

Starting about a month or two ago I have noticed my CoC tool enchants are rapidly wearing down compared to the past. I am not sure if it is just my imagination or maybe because I have been doing more mining with them but they start at 94 and after a few sessions they may be down to 89 already. Then it's not long to 83 and time to buy another decent 94 or so again. I noticed my less used ones on rake and grooming brush took a -1.00 too. I just sometimes examine them to see if they are the same as labeled by me. So I am suspecting that some increased enchant use degradation has been sneakily applied to them. What says youze?

=Ayes=

enchant decay is completely rng, so you'll have random days where you lose more enchants points than others.

There was a change a while back. It changed so that every action has a single chance to reduce the enchant. It used to be that every 5 seconds during an action there was a chance to reduce the enchant. It sounded like this would actually reduce enchant decay overall for longer actions but increase enchat decay in some situations. One such situation occured when the action was less than 5 secs because before the change you wouldnt loose any enchants ever.

So it may be that before the change you experienced less decay if most of your actions were less than 5 seconds. This was deemed unintended by the devs so the system was changed.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, McGarnicle said:

There was a change a while back.....

Thank you for the explanation. I do seem to recall this change but didn't pay much attention to it at the time because I was mainly playing WU. Now that I am mostly playing WO I have been using my tools a lot more once again on a few characters so I guess this is why I am noticing what I pointed out. Although for mining with a CoC pick the actions are normally over 5 seconds and there is where the CoC wears down a lot. Although I have a newbie guy who I raised farming to 60+ and his rake CoC has taken about a 5 point hit too since starting.

=Ayes=

Currently: mine 2 and a half 5k+ sandstone veins watch your coc drop from 94 to 83(always repair at tile full(around 1.9 damage))
In the past before change: mine 18 5k+ sandstone veins watch coc drop with 1 maybe 2 points

In the past coc lasted way longer then woa did granted now it seems to be a bit quick at times but if we do heavy duty we should see heavy wear
Also try keep any pickaxe above 30ql as under 30 it drops rapidly from what i have seen

Now the change is a good thing overall although it might be a bit to tough at times but hey thats bad luck for us i guess

5 hours ago, wipeout said:

Currently: mine 2 and a half 5k+ sandstone veins watch your coc drop from 94 to 83(always repair at tile full(around 1.9 damage))
In the past before change: mine 18 5k+ sandstone veins watch coc drop with 1 maybe 2 points

Yes, this is a good example of what I was talking about. Way overkill now on the CoC degradation from use. While benefiting that small portion of the playerbase that make silver/money from enchanting, it is costing the majority of the playerbase to pay more to play the game if they want the significant benefits of skill gains that CoC enchanted tools provide. Unfortunately this is just another example of the game design that focuses upon providing players the "opportunity" to make silver/money from playing it. No wonder then that some would defend changes such as this being beneficial. Very disappointing.....

=Ayes=

• Like 1

[2019-02-07] [01:12:24] You start to mine.

[2019-02-07] [04:30:00] Circle of Cunning has been cast on it, so it will increase skill gained with it when used. [88] dropped from 89 after 3h20m of mining

[2019-02-07] [06:05:50] Circle of Cunning has been cast on it, so it will increase skill gained with it when used. [87] dropped again after 1h30m

[2019-02-07] [11:07:03] Circle of Cunning has been cast on it, so it will increase skill gained with it when used. [86] 5 hours

did 2 more hours of mining after that and no more drops, , that's about equal with what enchant decay has always been.

3 points of coc over around 12 hours of almost non-stop mining as i queue up 8 mines at 12-20 seconds, so around 1 point every 4 hours of non-stop mining. a 90coc tool costs what, 60-70c unless you're getting ripped off, you're replacing it after it drops 10 points so that's 40 hours or so of use for under a silver, you could turn around and sell it for around half what you paid for it. doesn't sound very expensive to me.

you're acting like 80coc is some garbage that you have to throw out lol, that's better than the average persons tools. if you care that much about staying 90+ on enchants, make a rare skiller shovel, enchants last 5x longer on rares

Edited by Oblivionnreaver
  • Like 1

Enchant decay change happened roughly 1.5 year ago. Formula for it:

(1 - (1 - 1/(y * 30))^(max(1.5, x/5 - 0.5))) * min(x/10, 1)^2

Wolfram Alpha link - chance for a tool to lose a point of enchant at enchant power 100, timers from 0 to 20 seconds.

0tQBggP.png

Previous system was checking if decay should take place every 5 seconds without consideration for action length, so actions lasting more than any multiple of 5 had significantly larger chance for enchant loss, while actions with timers below 5 seconds would never cause enchant loss. For example, action taking 11 seconds had two times larger enchant loss chance than 9 second action. In addition, if you was really unlucky it was possible to lose more than single enchant point in single action.

In new system enchant loss chance is calculated only at the end of action or if the action is canceled. There is no sudden jump every 5 seconds, so you don't need to worry about keeping your actions below 5/10/15/20 seconds to lower enchant loss. In addition, there is a special curve for timers below 10 seconds, greatly lowering enchant loss chance for them compared to the old system.

In general, enchant loss chance for actions lasting over 10 seconds should be similar in old and new system, and for actions lasting less than 10 seconds new system have much lower enchant loss chance.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Warlander said:

*snip*

In general, enchant loss chance for actions lasting over 10 seconds should be similar in old and new system, and for actions lasting less than 10 seconds new system have much lower enchant loss chance.

Thank you for that info and should is the keyword and does seem to hold true most of the time but then there are periods where within 600 shards mined you see a 2-3 power drop yet other times you go 1-2k and dont even drop 1 and no clue if ql matters in it or not but if so i just want to add i see higher drops of enchants at sub 25 as compared to above 25 these are just my observations

But going of what was said a mining grind from 70 to 95 and no access to priest can cost you as little as 2s all the way up to 12(if unlucky) if you want to keep your enchant power above 80 during that grind(and yes 80 is quite a bit worse then 95 >.> in this scenario) but that is the price we pay to grind skills and not an issue just something to be pointed out

I was using a coc 97 hatchet QL 1 and by the time I went from 78 woodcutting to 80 it was down to 92, and this was all in just one day. It seemed fairly odd. The same thing happened when I did prospecting from 28 to 70 in one sitting with a 95 coc QL 1 pick made of steel, by the time I was done it was 89coc All this happened in about 12 hours

• Like 1

On 2/8/2019 at 2:35 PM, Oblivionnreaver said:

you're acting like 80coc is some garbage that you have to throw out lol, that's better than the average persons tools. if you care that much about staying 90+ on enchants, make a rare skiller shovel, enchants last 5x longer on rares

Well yes, when a tool gets down to 80 CoC that equates to a 15% skill gain loss from 95 so I don't consider that worth being continued to use, unless maybe with some alt with very low skills. Over 95 enchants seem overpriced per value so I usually won't buy those either.

I never realized that on a rare item the enchants will "last 5x longer". Perhaps you are exaggerating a bit there? If this is the case then I can see they would be worth purchasing but I sort of doubt there would be that significant of a difference. I do have a rare pick I made some time ago so maybe I will send it off to get enchanted with CoC to check this out.

=Ayes=

Just now, Ayes said:

Well yes, when a tool gets down to 80 CoC that equates to a 15% skill gain loss from 95

41d3c7bf916ec7df5ad0839881d6ab5b.png

7.7% actually. it's a waste of money to replace your pickaxe until it gets to 70ish

33 minutes ago, Ayes said:

I never realized that on a rare item the enchants will "last 5x longer". Perhaps you are exaggerating a bit there?

5x rare, 10x supreme, 15x fantastic. i've done hundreds of hours with some of my supremes and most haven't lost any, some have only lost a point or two

• Like 3

Yes, COC is degrading rapidly but to make things worse I have noticed casting issues too. I have been casting COC for several days and have not been able to get a single 90+ cast. My priest has over 80 channeling and can’t get a 90 cast that is an issue!! I pay premium on two characters one priest and one craftier if my priest can’t cast why should I pay a premium when I don’t get anything out of it?

Just to follow up. Any one think it normal for an 80 channeling priest having a hard time improving a 20 cast?

1 hour ago, Roninn said:

Just to follow up. Any one think it normal for an 80 channeling priest having a hard time improving a 20 cast?

Yes.

Welcome to wurm's magic RNG

It can be really nice sometimes (3 90 casts in a row), and really mean during others (no cast above 50 at 80 channeling for over an hour).

If it's any consolation, you probably don't need to grind to 90 channeling as it doesn't make much difference.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

Yes.

Welcome to wurm's magic RNG

It can be really nice sometimes (3 90 casts in a row), and really mean during others (no cast above 50 at 80 channeling for over an hour).

If it's any consolation, you probably don't need to grind to 90 channeling as it doesn't make much difference.

The difficulty for CoC casts is 60. That's a pretty high difficulty compared to other casts so any priest is going to have a hard time getting 90 casts. Compare it to making a wagon, which requires 40 fine carpentry. You have a lot of fails even at 60 fine carpentry.

A 20 difference from the difficulty of a spell cast is not a lot. A 90 cast is not easy to get. That's like imping over 10 over. You will be there a long time.