Sign in to follow this  
SolidDrake

Making a comeback to the game after many years...

And seeing all the changes to the game makes it a little bit overwhelming for me. I played back when the only servers where Wild and JK-Home, and even then I was quite low-level and non-experienced with the game. I have read a little about the new server clusters and derived any info that I can from the wurmwiki, and so my first question to you guys would be: Should I pick Freedom or Epic cluster? Why/why not? I wouldn't mind some PvP eventually, but I have also read that some people don't like the PvP anymore. Why is that? Also, It seems like the map dumps have been removed from the pinned threads:

The dropbox links seem to be dead.

Final question: What server would you recommend me playing on? I would like to play ideally on a server that has a decent amount of people playing at any given time. Thanks!!

Edited by SolidDrake

Well, playing since bit more than a year (a few weeks visit to Wurm in 2012 not counted) I can offer but limited advice.

Wild is gone, there are the Epic and the Freedom/Chaos clusters. As to PvP: there is an active community on the Chaos Server (inside the Freedom Archipelago, but distinct PvP server), and another, probably smaller one, on Epic. There the MR population is nearly gone at the moment and no more able to participate in PvP to my knowledge and observation while JK and HOTS still are there in more or less significant numbers.

Epic can be reached from Freedom over portals, and a distinct PvP character is created. No objects can travel between Freedom and Epic. Chaos can be reached from Freedom by ship and vice versa, and items are indeed shipped between both worlds, and many Chaos PvPers have their safe deeds on Freedom.

So you have different ways to live in both worlds. Most players, to my observation, practise PvP at best casually. But there is a not small number of those who do it and have fun with.

As to maps, refer to: https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Astronomy_and_geography

Edited by Ekcin

Pretty much everyone (except few people) plays on the freedom cluster. If you want to prepare to pvp, north xanadu or pristine might be a good choice (hunting). You can pm me ingame or on the forums if you need to ask anything.

32 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

28 minutes ago, Maiev said:

Many thanks, friends. Maybe I will start on any of the freedom islands then (depending a little on where my character is located atm). Is there a way to check the player counts on each server?

Welcome back! :)

Most of the smaller Freedom servers are active communities, yet there is still plenty of space to deed if you look around.  Xanadu being quite a bit larger has 'hotspots' of dense community around the spawn towns and also has large areas with low population.

Most of the folk in these communities know at least one person in one or more of the Chaos PVP factions, I recommend spending a bit of time on Freedom, and ask around :) 

I can't speak for Epic myself, but it's easily accessed via a stone portal you can build anywhere on Freedom.  All the Freedom islands are wonderful and easy access to Chaos too, so I really hope you find somewhere nice to settle for a bit on Freedom to skill up before deciding whether and where to head to PVP. 

Main thing is - have fun! Glad you're back :) 

55 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

By the way, how does one go about knowing where various settlements are located on the map? I'm thinking in the event I join a village and need to know where to go

32 minutes ago, SolidDrake said:

By the way, how does one go about knowing where various settlements are located on the map? I'm thinking in the event I join a village and need to know where to go

When you get invited to a deed, it will ask you if you want to teleport there. You just need to be on that server.

all map dumps here:   https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6J_aGQ6URL8UURFN2VadWxtSWs

for Deeds/Settlements use community maps :

Celebration:  

Spoiler

Celebrationmap.png?dl=0

Deliverance: 

Exodus:  

Independence: 

Pristine: 

Release:  

Spoiler

release%20map.png?dl=0

Xanadu: 

Edited by AlmostSolitude2

2 hours ago, Ekcin said:

in bot-chat enter !who

Ekcin you may want to use a spoiler for that huge picture lol 

you can also use waystones on the roads to find the deed you are looking for. a lot of deeds are connected to them 

13 minutes ago, AlmostSolitude2 said:

Btw, do you know if there are any community map for deed settlement on Chaos?

Edited by SolidDrake

@AlmostSolitude2Why dont you have the mapdump of the most important map? ?

@SolidDrakeIf you are used to pvp and want to continu that there are quite some action on Chaos, The Epic cluster is rather dead tho.

I wold recomend WU or TC on Chaos if you want in one of the bigger kingdoms with aktion, Panda if you want to be a underdog.

57 minutes ago, AlmostSolitude2 said:

Ekcin you may want to use a spoiler for that huge picture lol 

removed it. sorry. in preview it looked quite normal.

The map was a joke, becaus there are no comunitymaps over Chaos, there for the ? in the end :)