Sign in to follow this  
AJBlack

What happened to the Wurm Uni Kingdom Graphics?

I am well aware that there are two different types of MR and JK decoration flags - one old, one new. 

Logging in after the latest update, having purchased a package of 20 banners, flags, tall banners and 2 wagons, I was shocked to see the beautiful golden texture that matches my colors (gold and blue) changed into some purple and white stuff. 

Now, without meaning any offense to those who designed it - there is obviously effort involved with designing all of that, and I do not mean to discredit anyone for their work - I dislike the new textures. The flags can't deny a similarity to the Crusader flags, especially from afar or on low graphics settings, where the dark purple looks black. The banners and wagon, even on high graphics settings, looks more like the old wagons for MR or JK than anything new. And the entire spectrum of colors does not fit at all with my image of the PMK. 

Knowing that there are old and new kingdom textures for two other kingdoms, why did all of the items associated with Wurm University change their colors? Why not just introduce the new ones as new and keep the old ones as old? It's not exactly like PMK items are cheap, and I now have to devise an entirely new deed plan or try to sell these items for it to match. 

I'm not opposed to change, and if a kingdom decides to change their colors, that is very valid and up to them, in my opinion. However, it is also my view that that new change should not have such a huge impact on those not involved with the change - the buyers of the old graphics. 

Perhaps someone can explain to me why we don't simply have two different graphics now, or why the change was made in the first place? With a valid reason given it seems easier to understand than simply waking up to what you think is a bug until you learn it's permanent and intended. (Again, no discredit to anyone.)

• Like 1

the JK/MR old ones are a completely seperate kingdom, Jenn-kellon vs jenn kellon and mol-rehan vs empire of mol-rehan

you can only have 1 set of pmk items per kingdom, they can't keep the old ones without disbanding the kingdom and reforming it

• Like 1

Those aren't old and new. They are template and PMK.

Edited by armyskin
Autofill
  • Like 1

A problem seems to have arisen here which prompts me never to buy any PMK decorations (and in PvE, banners and wagons, beside their utility,  are exactly that, decorative items).

When I buy a rug, a carpet, a tapestry, or any other decoration, I choose it for its sight, and rely on this sight to remain the same. With the uncertaincy of a design which may change without warning, PMK items are out of the pool of acceptable decorations.

• Like 2

Unfortunately active PMK designs will always have that risk associated - you are safe with the disbanded PMK graphics though (which was not always the case in old times... on kingdom disband all designs simply vanished from game)

What does the new pmk art look like?  

The old one looked pretty good. 

Hello!

As the one that more or less approved the change to the new graphics i apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused.

But this is our kingdom and we can as stated do as we wish with it, (to a degree) and we wanted a new graphic that spoke more to the kingdom as it is in it's current form, and have been planned for allmost 2 years, just that it was not untill now we came up with a design that spoke to us.

Sure it will not fit everyone, but we can not realy ask every person that have a wagon / banner / tent in the game how they would like OUR kingdom how it should look.

Our plan was not to piss of ppl that have bought items, but to please ourself and how WE want it to look.

• Like 7

My intention was not to taint or scold your work. As far as I had a glance on it, it seems carefully designed and done. That holds true for the old ones as well, though.

And as far as I can see (with the many PMK banners and wagons all around Freedom) the sale of PMK items has been a not insignificant income source for the PMK. So you should also be interested not to abhor future buyers by the incertaincy that their ware may change without warning or chance to do anything about.

Could it be arranged that PMK decorations only change on Chaos, and are frozen when owned by a non kingdom affiliated Freedom dweller?

There is only one entry per PMK for graphics, so any item that uses that will use the latest version.  If the PMK chooses to change their graphics, then all items of that type will update.  Unfortunately, the game does not make any provision currently to 'freeze' the graphics of an item - essentially, the old graphics no longer exist in the game as they've been replaced by the new ones.  This probably won't change, as I can see some issues it would introduce.

Ultimately, it is up to the PMK as to what their graphics look like, so there's always a chance that a kingdom-specific item will change appearance in the future.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tedzogh said:

Hello!

As the one that more or less approved the change to the new graphics i apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused.

But this is our kingdom and we can as stated do as we wish with it, (to a degree) and we wanted a new graphic that spoke more to the kingdom as it is in it's current form, and have been planned for allmost 2 years, just that it was not untill now we came up with a design that spoke to us.

Sure it will not fit everyone, but we can not realy ask every person that have a wagon / banner / tent in the game how they would like OUR kingdom how it should look.

Our plan was not to piss of ppl that have bought items, but to please ourself and how WE want it to look.

I'm going to reply with 2 posts from another thread dealing with the same issue:

Post done by Aingelklaine, found here: 

13 hours ago, Thorinoakshield said:

I wonder - having seen the controverse and discussion in both Freedom and GL-Freedom - if it hadn't been a better idea if the players would have been informed in this thread or another about the (at the time) upcoming change.

That way the surprise wouldn't have been that hard for the owners of WU items, no matter if they like the change or not.

I got the feeling that most of the harsh comments I have seen in the past hours weren't because of the change, but more because the change was done without a warning and into something not everybody likes.

I do understand a PMK got the right to do so, however, I wonder if that PMK also has realized that when doing such a sudden change, they may actually loose a part of their customers?? Because right now most of what I've seen is only negative about the recent change. And I doubt that was the intention. Was it?

Thorin :)

At the risk of sounding rude, I am going to reply to your post here, friend. Please don't take it personal, I just have to clarify my initial post which seems to be a little unclear.

This shop is not a business. Its a means for us to provide to the player community with PMK items which are often sought after by the PVE community to decorate their deeds while at the same time seeking supplemental funds to help alleviate the expenses of running a kingdom. Its a mutually beneficial transaction between two players. Once that transaction is done with, our business is concluded. 

The loyalty of the kingdom is to its members, not the PVE community. We are a PVP kingdom on the Wild Cluster, and the decisions relating our kingdom are a matter of internal policy. No kingdom needs to or is expected to discuss decisions with the Freedom population before implementing it, nor is there a need to make any announcement to "appese" the customer base. Why? Because we are not here to make wagons, banners and flags. We are here to pvp. The decision was made after discussing it with members to change the art and it was submitted to Saroman. It was subsequently approved and uploaded into the game. That is that. It is not the first time a pmk changes its artwork, nor will it be the last.

There will be no refunds to players for the changes to the art on our pmk items. The reason why is because we have no way to truly track how our pmk items got to to you as a customer. If we started issuing refunds, we'd potentially be paying for kingdom items we never sold, as former and current members can make kingdom items on their own and pass them on without our knowledge. Even if the transaction was recent and could be verified, those funds are likely spent already, used in kingdom matters such as funding deeds and buying materials or gear. The only recourse players that are dissatisfied with the change have is to sell the item to other players as it is their right. We apoligize for any inconvenience the change has caused you, but the members of the kingdom choose their new art. Utimately, their opinon is the one taken into consideration as Wurm University members are the ones who wear the tabard.

Hopefully this was clear enough to explain our position in the matter. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to any of our leadership. From now on, please stick to the purpose of the thread. Discussions regarding the changes in kingdom art are not the purview of a Merchant thread.

Thank you for your patronage and we'll see you in game.

And my reply to that:

Angelklaine, since you don't understand common English, I make it easy for you:

1) I don't give a ###### about refunds.

2) In my post I never asked for a refund;

3) In fact, I even have never mentioned REFUND in my post

4) If you want to change the template of your items, go ahead

5) If you do that without informing your buyers; expect a shitstorm like you got now

6) If the Dev-team PROPOSE a change to how PvP is going to be played, you - and many other PvP players - usually comment at it that changes shouldn't be done without consulting the PvP community, that the current changed would kill the PvP community etc.

Yet, as the same time, you're arrogant enough to tell us, YOUR CUSTOMERS!!! to either accept the change to the PMK items or get rid of the items if we don't want them.

Tell me, if you as a player got WU PMK items, started the game after the update and saw that during  that update the line "Adjusting new WU PMK template" passes your screen; first thing you do is wondering what is going on.

Then when you see what the template is like, you head over the forum to see if you perhaps missed any anouncement of WU, telling their buyers the template has changed.

However, NON OF THAT happened. NONE!!

In fact, the wording you use sounds bloody arrogant to me. You're basically telling your customers to shove off, because the only reason we're here is to support your PMK by buying your items.

Has it EVER occured to you there are also players in  this game who like to collect the PMK items because they like the design? Has it also occured to you that because of YOUR arrogance, new buyers may reconsider buying WU items, simply because they (WU) change things without informing the public; being the public the potential buyers or the ones who already had items.

Has it EVER occured to you there may be players who right now don't want to buy WU items anymore, because, hey, before you know it, they change their template to a shitty-brown colour with a big turd at it and they won't tell us.

The WHOLE point of my previous post was to wonder why NO-ONE of WU even bothered to tell their customers about an upcoming change of template.

You basically gave me - as well as others - the answer, which is:

"Because we give ###### about our customers. As long as you buy our stuff, we can do what we like."

And because of that, I expect dropping sales in WU items, as you just lost the trust the players have in WU.

I do hope this is just  the stance of ONE person, and not of the whole of WU.

Thorin :)

Edited by Thorinoakshield
  • Like 1

Unless somebody has a written agreement from WU leadership in which they promised to never ever change their graphics, nobody deserves a refund.

2 hours ago, Tedzogh said:

Hello!

I can respect that, which is why I asked as politely as I could. Thank you for getting back to me on it. :) If I had my own kingdom, I would want it to represent what I want it to as well. 

2 minutes ago, Beanbag said:

Unless somebody has a written agreement from WU leadership in which they promised to never ever change their graphics, nobody deserves a refund.

Just to clarify here, I am not looking for a refund. I was simply asking what's going on, why the textures have changed, and why no new ones have been added while leaving the old ones intact. I did not ask for a refund at any point in my text.

Fortunately, all my questions have been answered by the community. I had no idea it wasn't possible to have two textures for a kingdom, I didn't know that MR and MR was different for example, and I didn't know why WU changed it in the first place. Now I know and I am content with it. Sad, but I will accept the change and happy that all my questions have been answered.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, AJBlack said:

Just to clarify here, I am not looking for a refund. I was simply asking what's going on, why the textures have changed, and why no new ones have been added while leaving the old ones intact. I did not ask for a refund at any point in my text.

I realize. That wasn't pointed at you.

this only happened once ever and it was with the JK-c kingdom this is there old wagon:

ZSl35wd.png

that said, i think the old WU art should remain in the game but i don't think it'll ever happen.

What should happen is the art should be interchangeable on individual items if there was a previous version of the kingdom art - with a right click menu "change art" 

Edited by Niki

4 minutes ago, Stoffe said:

So what about when Panda and VD changed? 

Minor changes you mean? It wasn't noticed by the community.

If something needs to change, it needs to change. Never going to make everyone happy.

This does make a good case study in how NOT to introduce or explain change though in my view. Quite frankly, I can't imagine that a worse attempt was even possible.  Yeah, it was that bad.

Would love to hear what others plan to do re buying WU stuff. Is the trust broken to such a degree that this is going to hurt WU in the wallet?  As I don't buy PMK stuff, my opinion doesn't count, interested in what people who do buy PMK items think.