Sign in to follow this  
katnip2067

Garden boxes for farming

What if we could have garden boxes?  You could plant any crop in them and be able to place them above or below ground.  It would also be nice if you could plant grass and maybe even enchant the grass in the garden box, depending on whether or not animals would be able to graze on them.  This would be nice for the underground deeds and would make it less dreary for the cave dwellers.  They would be about the size of a tile and would require dirt, planks and nails to create them.

frHj19y.jpg

• Like 5

+1 above ground

I could see these opening up new deed design possibilities if they are free from the slope restrictions of normal farming (and they should be, within reasonable limits). Even if they are restricted to flat or almost flat terrain, more design options are always welcome.

-1 below ground

One word: photosynthesis. I could see a case being made for mushroom farming underground, but growing ordinary crops should only be possible above ground outdoors.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gwyn said:

-1 below ground

One word: photosynthesis. I could see a case being made for mushroom farming underground, but growing ordinary crops should only be possible above ground outdoors.

Valid argument. But: Appropriate lighting would (in rl) overcome that restriction. Question remains whether the devs would be willing to take the pains to implement a connex between cave lighting and plant growth (and possibly plant withering and eventual demise on lack of lighting), or would judge that such is too much work thrown on a topic of low if any priority.

This.. is a game though? Who cares about photosynthesis? It's not like being able to grow a few crops underground would break anything. If someone wants to be able to live underground in a sandbox game, they should be able to.. no? We have dragons and magic spells lol.

I like this idea :) 

If you're so against the underground thing. You could always make it so a priest has to cast on the garden box for it to work underground. Something like humid drizzle/wild growth.

Edited by Enuf
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Enuf said:

This.. is a game though? Who cares about photosynthesis? It's not like being able to grow a few crops underground would break anything. If someone wants to be able to live underground in a sandbox game, they should be able to.. no? We have dragons and magic spells lol.

Another word: balance. Dragons are extremely rare and difficult to kill. Using magic demands sacrifice (priest limitations, tome penalties) and/or huge costs (effort to gain channeling skill, faith; favour; tomes). So I guess my main concern would be that underground farming not become the new meta. With decent mining, it's actually much easier in most locations to create a vast perfectly flat area underground than it is to level the same-sized area above ground (what with pesky hills, rock layers, etc. getting in the way). If things were balanced to offset this advantage, say, by halving underground farm yields and/or doubling growth time or whatnot (exact figures up for debate), then hmm... I wouldn't object quite as much, especially as lower yields / increased growth times would be a reasonable gesture in the direction of realism. Still can't say I'm a fan of the idea, though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Enuf said:

I like this idea :) 

If you're so against the underground thing. You could always make it so a priest has to cast on the garden box for it to work underground. Something like humid drizzle/wild growth.

But you suggestion doesn't require magic  as alternative to something unnatural as growing in caves. Like Gwyn said atleast it has to be extra effort for lower gains apposed to the ones on sunlight. I would like mushroom farms and more uses for mushrooms though :)

Enchanted grass where animals can graze and mushrooms would totally be ok for me underground.

Specialy enchanted lamps that would imitate sunlight for X tiles for other crops, idk maybe... Plant enchanted lamp in corner and can grow crops on adjacent tiles for examples that wouldn't be that hard to implement.

Edited by kochinac
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gwyn said:

Another word: balance. ..With decent mining, it's actually much easier in most locations to create a vast perfectly flat area underground than it is to level the same-sized area above ground ..

I agree that this is a valid point. Still the variant that such underground farming would require lighting should be considered, also lower yield if any. Generally underground growth is not impossible even today, see trellises, and, to my knowledge, planters.

• Like 1

logically this makes no sense to grow in such below ground, but we have wogic

+1

+1 for the general idea.

-1 for being able to use them underground. Maybe have a requirement where blessed lamps of a certain ql need to be within X amount of tiles to grow?

Edited by Budzilla

I think longer growth time and less yield would be completely reasonable for underground and I also like the idea of the lamps.

..somebody's going to start growing wemp under violet lights now.. ?

or how about if libila could cast mycelium on the garden box for growing mushrooms?