Sign in to follow this  
shamflam

new fresh server

Hi all, 

I wanne suggest a new server to be added maybe one the size of indy. I know a lot of people would be against it cause the playerbase is already pretty much spread out but hear me out.

I wanne be able to create a deed on a "fresh" piece of land where not everything has been terraformed already by other deed owners. It has been a lot of years since the last server has been added. I had a realy hard time finding a spot that was  untouched and the only place nowdays you can find these spots is Xanadu. All other spots that look ncie either have been mined out already or have been terraformed and frankly look like ######. So give us a new untouched place where we can shape the land to our desire and where we don't have to spend the first month undoing the ugly terraforming someone else did. This is mainly the reason why I moved to Xanadu and still there all the nice spots have been occupied before already and nothing realy seems natural, this is even worse on the smaller servers. I am a recently new player and would love to be able to see a server grow from the start (starting new tunneling projects, see the starter villages grow, etc. I kinda feel left out on this and I'm sure a lot of other newer players feel the same. I dislike WU and would rather have this fresh world in WO but sadly this option is not avaible atm. 

or better yet make it so that the terraformed land decay's and turns back normal like it would irl having these huge terraformed mountains sticking out in the wilderniss just doesnt look verry natural.

I think the playerbase is already pretty much spread out and thats a good thing, adding a new server wont make this much worse tbh.

Edited by shamflam

If they ever implement a new server I would expect something like a hunting server with the option to build a small cabin. You'd be able to terraform a 10x10 space at maximum but only if you placed a deed. Mining/tunneling would be allowed. With this server should come new styles of building such as log cabin.

I personally don't think we need another massive server either. Indy sized would be very good I think. People over the years including myself have asked for a place like this, it would have zero obstacles like fences or bridges or weird terraformed dirt walls. It's simply a place to relax and train in the wilderness. New mechanics should be added, I'd expect something like this to have a massive update like the Xanadu patch. You could do a lot of clever things like add taxidermy skill, tanning racks and some new creatures "Foxes" etc or monsters to hunt. I'd also like a frozen biome where people can hunt mammoths or something.

Edited by Niki
  • Like 4

We have servers with an average playercount of 2-3 players / day (Elevation). I really don't think, no matter how many suggestions you make, that they'll even take it seriously.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Niki said:

If they ever implement a new server I would expect something like a hunting server with the option to build a small cabin. You'd be able to terraform a 10x10 space at maximum but only if you placed a deed. Mining/tunneling would be allowed. With this server should come new styles of building such as log cabin.

I personally don't think we need another massive server either. Indy sized would be very good I think. People over the years including myself have asked for a place like this, it would have zero obstacles like fences or bridges or weird terraformed dirt walls. It's simply a place to relax and train in the wilderness. New mechanics should be added, I'd expect something like this to have a massive update like the Xanadu patch. You could do a lot of clever things like add taxidermy skill, tanning racks and some new creatures "Foxes" etc or monsters to hunt. I'd also like a frozen biome where people can hunt mammoths or something.

I liek this idea aswell but I'm asking for a new fresh place to build and progress on, something like that wouldn't be able to be done on a hunting server. 

either do that or make terraformed lands decay and slowly turn back to normal aswell. Maybe the decay of buildings should also be increased so it would be more lifelike.

Edited by shamflam

There's so much empty space on Indy itself I don't really see why we need another large server like it. What is the real difference between terraforming procedurally generated terrain to your liking and terraforming previous terraforming to your liking?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

We have servers with an average playercount of 2-3 players / day (Elevation). I really don't think, no matter how many suggestions you make, that they'll even take it seriously.

It's all about selling the idea, Xanadu brought a ton of people into the game because of the advertising Rolf & Friends did. Try again but this time have all the improvements implemented. 

Not trying, or thinking this is a bad idea is probably a bad idea! You need to promote growth if a game is to grow even at it's lowest. What's that saying? You've got to crack a few eggs to make an omelette.

Edited by Niki
  • Like 1

Really the only new type of server I would like to see is one with *no aggressive mobs on it*. This would offer something truly different and peaceful for those who wish not to have to deal with them. Think about it, every other type of gameplay is offered on the other servers but this. My bet is that a good number of people would be drawn to it as well as a portion of new players. All other actions there would be the same as on other servers. Size: Independence or below.

=Ayes=

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

well the oportunity to start on a new fresh server has been given to the older people before, why shouldnt the newer peopel get to experience this aswell?

Edited by shamflam
  • Like 1

-1, I'd rather see erosion of untouched landscapes. Unfortunately afaik Sindusk was the only one with any interest in this matter (Or the only one to openly express it.), so I doubt well see anything like it soon. Here was an example he posted. 

Edited by Budzilla
  • Like 9

3 minutes ago, shamflam said:

well the oportunity to start on a new fresh server has been given to the older people before, why shouldnt the newer peopel get to experience this aswell?

well, there was lots of people on small amounts of servers in the past, now there's small amounts of people on large amounts of servers. it's not a old vs new it's a the game doesn't have the population for more servers and there's better things for them to be doing then trying to spread the population thinner

plenty of untouched land on both indy and xanadu

• Like 3

on freedom the smaller isles are not very populated..... freedom chat did not happen hardly at all when I lived on exodus (luckly i was in an active alliance)

xanadu is too laggy to live on and not wanna kill oneself

Indy is a good size... lots of open land.. good chats in Freedom

I would love to revisit old days of glory and explore a new land..... but in the end I moved back to indy

I see lots of good ideas set forth in this post, such as advertising and then refreshing life on the server.. 

I would love to see a new land indies size with a fresh start with current skills set to explore by boat access...  but without a fresh influx of players and no advertising it is probably a very bad idea

5 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

well, there was lots of people on small amounts of servers in the past, now there's small amounts of people on large amounts of servers. it's not a old vs new it's a the game doesn't have the population for more servers and there's better things for them to be doing then trying to spread the population thinner

plenty of untouched land on both indy and xanadu

yes but all the infrastructure is already there like bridges, highways, canals, major starting zones. Like I said the population is already spread out pretty much and adding a new medium sized/small server wont change that or make it worse, in contrary I think a lot of people would come back to the game to check the new server out so it would bring in more people, at least for  the first few months. after that it would stagnate but the newer server would still draw in a lot more people then a server like celebration. and like I said its more about the experience of working on a fresh server. 

• Like 1

The only way in which that would make sense to me personally is with a complete overhaul of Epic or perhaps even a replacement. There's plenty of space for players on the existing servers.

+1 Put Epic in the trashcan where it has rightfully belonged since stillbirth, and give freedom a new server for all the refugees to move to

jk freedom doesn't need another server regardless, just delete Epic please so I can stop hearing people whine about it

• Like 2

I really wonder why are you so afected by touched land? And so highly praise untouched , fresh servers over it? Any land can be brought to desired shape, both touched and untouched. Mines can be collapsed, reinforcment removed (although i hope there is easier way), height can be lowered or added samo on old or new land, and can be the same fune, or even greater to bring some older area to desired shape...

If new server is to be added i hope it would be hunting server without ability to deed on it...

• Like 2

Come to Affliction, we have plenty of untouched land. Unless you by untouched mean untouched by mycelium.

Anyway, we can't constantly have new servers come out to give people "virgin land". Look where that has led us - everyone spread across mostly unpopulated servers.

i'd rather see them implement some code that makes dirt slowly flow towards natural shape if it's far enough from a highway and there is hardly any player activity in the area, it may not create dirt to fill the land to what it was, but it would at least round out the steep slopes and such to make it somewhat bearable to look at.

also a bit offtopic , but why it takes 5 -7 planks to repair a fence that takes only 3 planks to make in the first place? 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ayes said:

Really the only new type of server I would like to see is one with *no aggressive mobs on it*. This would offer something truly different and peaceful for those who wish not to have to deal with them. Think about it, every other type of gameplay is offered on the other servers but this. My bet is that a good number of people would be drawn to it as well as a portion of new players. All other actions there would be the same as on other servers. Size: Independence or below.

=Ayes=

I would say, if you do this make it a smaller sized server, like Deliverance or those others that are 1/4th the size of Indy, and 1/16th the size of Xanadu. Also make it a "fresh start only" server, else all of the bored level 99s will sail over and terraform it on Day One, then get bored and sail back to their "real servers"  once every square inch has been refoedmed three weeks later.  If they have to start with a new untwinked character, they won't get bored as fast, or they may switch back to their regular server after a few days when the "novelty" has worn off. Maybe unquarantine it after 6-9 months (I forget how long Pristine and some of those were quarantined.. but something like that).  If in fact it gets overcrowded, then maybe another tiny sized server a year or two year later. And wait till they have finished all of their main overhaul (I think most of it is done now -- new graphics engine, check; new tutorial system, check, new UI .. well, c"coming soon" maybe) and make it part of their advertising for  Wurm Online: The Reawakening

(I was going to call it Wurm 2.0, but that reminds me too much of those delightfully fake youtube videos lol)

My initial reaction was 'noooooo new servers, no no no',  but i think there is some good argument for it bringing in new players (and many former players) once they eventually get into "relaunching" / readvertising the game. They have finished most of the major things on their checklist; I am imagining probably "new content development" is going to slow down once they get all of their major overhauls wrapped up. A new server and new players will help soften the sting of slower new content development

I think in addition to a "super carebear server,"   a "superhardcore server" would also prove very popular. Everyone starts with only a flint and steel, and aggressive mobs are 10x the normal server.  The type of beginning they will remember for a long long time.   Again, these are very small servers and designed to provide gamestyles not available on the established servers, even if it is mostly about soft versus treacherous terrain, and a world full of cows and sheep versus one overrun by champion trolls and worse IE, no major CODE changes. 

Most veteran players really really do not want to start over, but most new players really really do not want to start a game where everyone else is a good 10 years ahead of them.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

I think in addition to a "super carebear server," a "superhardcore server" would also prove very popular. Everyone starts with only a flint and steel, and aggressive mobs are 10x the normal server.  Again, these are very small servers and designed to provide gameplay mechanics not available on the established servers, even if it is mostly about soft versus treacherous terrain, and a world full of cows and sheep versus one overrun by champion trolls and worse IE, no major CODE changes. 

I think this could work if the server were temporary, and you could bring back something especially nice to Freedom/Epic at the end.

See also:

• Like 1

lol, no...

xana killed population for all for smaller servers.. no xanadian is going to leave the lagadu for a new piece of land, why bother having another big empty server with 20-200 deeds that are just hunting villas?

Isn't it better to get a new mechanic to collapse caves to get new rng tiles.. than a brand new ghost server?

As for terrain erosion... I'll pass.. rather see half-usable road than none, if it bothers me.. I'll ***** remove it and make a new one and live with the enjoying feeling that once there was an annoying road *somewhere* and now that is NO MORE :)

As suggested.. indy's quite big and BUMPY, you'll probably have easy time to find a spot where you can get wild and terraform all day/months long, just throw dirt all over the place it will make you feel better.

7 hours ago, Finnn said:

just throw dirt all over the place it will make you feel better.

It's The Wurm Way :)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

I would say, if you do this make it a smaller sized server, like Deliverance or those others that are 1/4th the size of Indy, and 1/16th the size of Xanadu. Also make it a "fresh start only" server, else all of the bored level 99s will sail over and terraform it on Day One, then get bored and sail back to their "real servers"  once every square inch has been refoedmed three weeks later.

Regarding your response here to my suggestion of a new *no aggressive mob* server. I am not liking the idea of restricting it to new accounts made for it only. The whole idea here is to make this server available to *anyone* who would wish to live on it. Fine and dandy if current players move over to it since this would be their preferred playstyle, not being bothered by aggressive mobs attacking them. This means also that no "uniques" would spawn there, which again would deter a lot of those types of players from settling on it. Great too if they find out this no aggro environment does not suit them and move off onto the other servers. Hopefully they won't return and the server will retain its peaceful status all the better for their departure.

The smaller size you suggest is fine as I live on Deliverance and find that there is plenty of room there to wander around if desired. Call it a "Carebear" server if you like for the lack of aggro mobs is worth any questionable label to those who would embrace this peaceful lifestyle. In contrast a "super hardcore server" can be simulated by attacking numerous mobs at the same time whereas a server environment totally restricted from any aggressive mob spawns can only be created by the Developers. Also of course I would be eager to move all my characters to it immediately and never again be distracted from doing the things I enjoy in the game by having to kill the aggressive pests that come my way.

=Ayes=