Sign in to follow this  
Angelklaine

Does "Carry more than average" do anything on Bisons?

My friend and I are working on maximising productivity on our Bison. According to the wiki "Carry more than average" increases carrying capacity if I remember correctly. My belief is that on a 5 trait bison, the "Carrying more than average" trait is useless, since you can't ride them or put equipment on them. 

Is there anything else this trait affects we may be missing?

"Carry More" trait gives them additional body strength, much like "Strong Body".

Even if they are not being "ridden", in most cases they are used to pull a wagon, and that wagon may be loaded down with stone, fallen trees, bricks, etc. 

A stringer animal can pull a ladened down cart at a faster pace than a weaker animal.

If you are not using the animal to pull heavy vehicles then probably you don't really need 5 speed bison.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

2 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

"Carry More" trait gives them additional strength, much like "Strong Body".

Even if they are not being "ridden", in most cases they are used to pull a wagon, and that wagon may be loaded down with stone, fallen trees, bricks, etc. 

A stringer animal can pull a ladened down cart at a faster pace than a weaker animal.

If you are not using the animal to pull heavy vehicles then probably you don;t really need 5 speed bison.

Is this actually a thing? I can't tell the difference when a Wagon is loaded from when its not. Hrm. Need to test this.

Weight doesn't affect pulling vehicles. Body strength does have effect on pulling speed, but it's the actual skill of the creature - unmodified by weight-related traits.

Ok so for riding purposes, 5 speeds make a difference (and possibly only if the rider is heavily weighed down?)  -- but for pulling vehicles you only need a 3-speeder with fleeter and lightning and strong legs?  

And you have told me before, BDew, that Spark only gives a longer lifespan to horses, and has no effect on bison (which seems to match my experience in taking a leave of absence and returning to find my only animals stuill alive were the horses with Spark)

2 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Ok so for riding purposes, 5 speeds make a difference (and possibly only if the rider is heavily weighed down?)  -- but for pulling vehicles you only need a 3-speeder with fleeter and lightning and strong legs?  

And you have told me before, BDew, that Spark only gives a longer lifespan to horses, and has no effect on bison (which seems to match my experience in taking a leave of absence and returning to find my only animals stuill alive were the horses with Spark)

(4) 5-speed horses, no gear 11.52 / 14.41 with lightning

(3) 5-speed horses and (1) 5-speed bison, no gear 12.24 (6.29 on 20 slope) 

(3) 5-speed horses and (1) 4-speed bison + TB, no gear 12.24 (6.29 on 20 slope) 

My deed mate weighted the wagon down as much as possible. So yeah, unless i'm missing something "It can carry more than average." and probably "It has a strong body." (since it also modifies strength) have no effect on bison.

I would say @bdewis correct. It does nothing on bison pulling wagon.

On 1/29/2019 at 3:25 AM, Brash_Endeavors said:

"Carry More" trait gives them additional body strength, much like "Strong Body".

If you are not using the animal to pull heavy vehicles then probably you don't really need 5 speed bison.

Traits do not affect characteristics such as Body Strength. Some traits affect their carry weight limits, but that's it. Otherwise, you could have a traited sheep pulling a wagon, and it probably would affect hitched speed.

Here's what the traits do in terms of movement speed and carrying capacity:

• It has fleeter movement than normal: +10% speed
  • It has a strong body: +10kg carry weight
  • It has lightning movement: +20% speed
  • It can carry more than average: +20kg carry weight
  • It has very strong leg muscles: +10% speed, +10kg carry weight
  • It looks very unmotivated: -30kg carry weight
  • It has malformed hindlegs: -10% speed
  • The legs are of different length: -30% speed
  • (Ebony black color): +2.5% speed

Hell horses have an ebony equivalent; I believe it's "molten" but I'm not 100% sure.

Animals absolutely do not care about the weight of a hitched vehicle, so traits that only affect carry capacity (carry more, strong body) won't matter in that case.

Speed-related traits kick in when the horse passes a Soul Strength skill check, and turn off if they fail it. The opposite is true for negative traits; it can pass a Soul Strength check to not be affected by something like "malformed hindlegs". Hell horses have much higher Soul Strength than normal horses, so they pass these checks much more consistently. Unicorns, bisons, and other animals that aren't horses, don't do these checks; the traits are always in effect for them.

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 5

Bump for a new related question:

Will Strong Body / Carry More help reduce the normal speed penalty of horses wearing barding while pulling a wagon?  Is barding considered part of "carry capacity" ?

Since some like to dress up their ponies even if impractical on pve servers  ...

Goldbarding1.jpg

The traits that affect carry limits only affect the max weight they can carry, so whatever inherent penalty they get from a barding should still exist, sort of like how the armor penalty on a player doesn't consider their Body Strength.

It could be worth testing, but I'm pretty sure this is the case.