Sign in to follow this  
Kswords

Remove the Lag from Independence

Remove Haven's Landing being the spawn point and tutorial for noobs.

Ever since this was implemented/built we've had very long backup lag and laggy action timers.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

That's not how any of this works! 

Perhaps you could explain to everyone the cause of the new found lag that people on Indy have to suffer through?

• Like 1

Could have sworn I read this thread yesterday and it was already locked.

I bet it has something to do with Haven, check the scripts in the area that replenish/resources and things.

Also I noticed a lot of excess in decoration items while exploring that area, might be worth cleaning those up.

Edited by Niki

1 hour ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

seems like it spiked after new tutorial, somethings causing lag

LAg actually started earlier, around the 22nd november update:

On 11/23/2018 at 2:20 AM, DevBlog said:

PatchNotes.png

• New: New horse colors added.
  • New: Hens and Roosters can now be white, black or brown.
  • New: Added Statue of Tich – can be crafted with marble shards. Metal versions are available through archaeology.
  • Change: Show death reason on corpse description for Cared For creatures.
  • Change: Added the ability to care for a creature while it is caged.
  • Change: Hell Foals and Unicorn Foals grow faster on pvp servers like normal Foals
  • Change: You should no longer waste a full sap harvest if your bucket is full upon beginning the harvest action.
  • Bugfix: Unicorn foals will no longer lose their name when transitioning to adult.
  • Client bugfix: Fixed glitchy lighting on terrain decorations

The post Patch Notes 22/NOV/18 appeared first on Wurm Online.

The havens landing update wasn't until 17th of December, so there's something else at play

http://prntscr.com/md3snm

We are Investigating, but it's happening across all servers and isn't really something to suggest.

The zones don't impact it, they're tiny zones thst run once per hour and make minimal changes. As said too the lag started before those changes. 

That does seem to support the Nov 22 start for the lag:

lag-year.png

Just curious, what happened last May? 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

Allow me to make a speculation on the Indy lag.  I'm not really sure this is possible, but it's a thought I had.

With Xanadu lagging bad all these years, the devs decided to try and move some of the Xanadu server checks and calculations over to the Indy server (and or other servers) for processing, in an effort to reduce the lag on Xanadu.  This has caused an increase in Indy lag and spikes.  The devs aren't trying to figure out what is causing the added new lag, they know what it is. They're trying to figure out a way keep the Xanadu checks and calculations processing on the Indy server, and not have any lag.  So I would think we're stuck with it until they either figure that out, or they revert the added Indy processing back to the Xanadu server.

Does that make sense? I don't know.

31 minutes ago, Gumbo said:

Ofc. The devs are so evil ?

D

39 minutes ago, Gumbo said:

Allow me to make a speculation on the Indy lag.  I'm not really sure this is possible, but it's a thought I had.

With Xanadu lagging bad all these years, the devs decided to try and move some of the Xanadu server checks and calculations over to the Indy server (and or other servers) for processing, in an effort to reduce the lag on Xanadu.  This has caused an increase in Indy lag and spikes.  The devs aren't trying to figure out what is causing the added new lag, they know what it is. They're trying to figure out a way keep the Xanadu checks and calculations processing on the Indy server, and not have any lag.  So I would think we're stuck with it until they either figure that out, or they revert the added Indy processing back to the Xanadu server.

So if the devs close down Xanadu instead of trying to make it run smoother how many of the ppl living on Xan would move to Inde and just create natural lag by increasing the  number on  players playing on it?

I would say pretty high since Inde would be the largest of the remaining servers.

So it's sort of pick your poinson situation.

As for the lag must be something with the lighting thing or the chickens something related to the chickens must be the chikens.

44 minutes ago, Gumbo said:

With Xanadu lagging bad all these years, the devs decided to try and move some of the Xanadu server checks and calculations over to the Indy server (and or other servers) for processing, in an effort to reduce the lag on Xanadu. 

That's not even remotely possible with wurm architecture, and even if it was it would be much easier to get a new separate server and "move" processing to it.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Cipacadrinho said:

how many of the ppl living on Xan would move to Inde and just create natural lag by increasing the  number on  players playing on it?

people living on the server doesn't cause that much lag, indy used to have multiple times more people than xanadu, and elevation is the laggiest server with 0 people on it

its more mobs and item polling

Edited by Oblivionnreaver
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, bdew said:

That's not even remotely possible with wurm architecture, and even if it was it would be much easier to get a new separate server and "move" processing to it.

If you say so. I don't know the setup at all, but was a thought I had and shared. Yes, much easier to get a new server, if it's in the budget.  ;)

I don't think the budget has much to do with it, you can get a very beefy server for say 100eur/month which is chump change even for CC. I run 3x 2048x2048 maps on much smaller budget.

The main problem is that 95% of wurm processing is strictly single threaded, and extremely sensitive to IO latency too. Just splitting the processing to separate threads would improve performance a lot but would require lots and lots of non-trivial work. Separating it into another process that can run on a different machine is probably completely unfeasible without a serious rewrite of the whole architecture.

• Like 1

You know, I completely agree.  Get haven landing off indie, bring it over to the SW part of Xanadu.  If you don't want the lions share of new player influx, we will gladly take it for you.

Also, you know what?  I very much doubt it would increase our lag by much ^_^

• Like 1

The lag on Indy is becoming unreal. I am spending more time waiting for doors to open than I did on Xanadu, and my deed mate today got the message to move slower while he was standing still...

I don't know what's going on but its ridiculous.

4 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

The lag on Indy is becoming unreal. I am spending more time waiting for doors to open than I did on Xanadu, and my deed mate today got the message to move slower while he was standing still...

I don't know what's going on but its ridiculous.

Is good news! It means Heaven's Landing is pumping in quite a few ppl?

Just now, Cipacadrinho said:

Is good news! It means Heaven's Landing is pumping in quite a few ppl?

No.

On 1/28/2019 at 8:04 AM, Oblivionnreaver said:

people living on the server doesn't cause that much lag, indy used to have multiple times more people than xanadu, and elevation is the laggiest server with 0 people on it

its more mobs and item polling

Getting laggspike on the action timer every 10-15minutes is quite frustrating.

The lag today is much worse than it was last week.

hmm... I wonder what i'll spend the sleep bonus on when the hamster has an aneurysm.

The lag is getting worse by the day. Will it get to the point of unplayable until its made a priority

• Like 1

so is there any news on whats going on in indy, worse lag than xanadu currently lol

guess i picked the right time to abandon that server

I agree.. the lagg on indy last 24 hours is making the game unplayable for me

EDIT - I don't agree to remove haven, but i agree the lagg has been silly last 24hrs

Edited by LumpyGravy