Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

New HotA System

Overview
Coming soon, a new iteration of the Hunt of the Ancients mechanic will be coming to Chaos and Elevation. This new iteration utilizes the full potential of each map by creating randomly placed points of interest which can be contested by players. Alongside that, Hunt of the Ancients is no longer an event that occurs for a short span of time each day. Instead, it will become a core part of daily PvP gameplay, and will be active at almost all times. Finally, it was designed as a system that will be accessible to groups of players of any size, whether it be a massive kingdom or a mercenary group of players.
New Battle Camps
The focus point of the new Hunt of the Ancients will be Battle Camps, which are generated at random locations once per day.

• Every day, a new Battle Camp will spawn at a random location on the map. They cannot spawn within a village, under water, or on extreme slopes/mountains.
  • New Battle Camps start neutral, and can be conquered by using an action which takes 5 minutes. If a camp is already claimed by an enemy kingdom, it must first be neutralized, which takes 5 minutes as well. A notification will be sent to the whole server when a camp is successfully neutralized or claimed by a kingdom.
  • When four Battle Camps are conquered by a single kingdom, a HotA statue is created at the most recently conquered Battle Camp. All four camps that were controlled by the kingdom are removed from the map. Any neutral camps, or camps  claimed by other kingdoms, remain in play.
  • Battle Camps are now containers, and have a slim chance of generating moon metal lumps at certain intervals. This chance decreases as more lumps are generated, so holding onto a single camp for an extended period of time has diminishing returns.

When claiming a Battle Camp, the goal would be to defend it for the moon metal lumps it generates, as well as keep it controlled until you can obtain three other camps. For this reason, the following mechanics will be in place:

• When a Battle Camp is created, it forms a 40x40 zone around it.
  • Players cannot terraform inside the zone unless it is claimed by their kingdom. When claimed, terraforming slopes are limited to 40 steep.
  • Players cannot create or continue fences inside the zone unless it is claimed by their kingdom. When claimed, locked fences will not unlock for enemies when an allied player passes through.
  • Players cannot place mine doors in a Battle Camp zone.
  • Players cannot place deeds or extend deeds into a Battle Camp zone.
  • Players cannot construct or expand buildings into a Battle Camp zone.

This system is currently available on the Baphomet test server, which is our Chaos PvP test server. 

To get to Baphomet from Oracle, take the Portal at the starter deed Here We Go Again. 

We have also added the ability to spawn horses (complete with 99ql 103 woa gear)  and change kingdoms via the test menu, and see the locations of battle camps via depot light beams, these will not be in the live version.

Feel free to leave all feedback and comments here, we'll work with all of it to ensure it's going smoothly before it goes live. As usual, this is a public test thread so please keep everything on topic as best you can, off topic posts will be removed. 

So, fences will still be everywhere on Chaos/Elevation?

Edited by Oreo
  • Like 2

• Players cannot terraform inside the zone unless it is claimed by their kingdom. When claimed, terraforming slopes are limited to 40 steep.
  • Players cannot create or continue fences inside the zone unless it is claimed by their kingdom. When claimed, locked fences will not unlock for enemies when an allied player passes through.

Should take both of those out no one should be able to do anything inside the zones regardless of it being spawned in the influence of their kingdom. I could already see this going the same way HOTA was. Also either WU or TC going to be splitting up in groups to conquer and keep control of several of them at the same time. Already see the ability to fence it in and to be able to dig as a disability to everyone else, seeing how people complained about TC having a couple of deeds very far from each other as cheating on Hota. Imagine what they will say when they see a concentrated group of TC fencing out a small area, they will be even more hesitant then before. Although 40x40 is a decent size and I don't see anyone even TC going to the extreme of fencing out a surface that big. All in all i'm interested to see how it plays out but at the same time my expectations for it's success are low. But I do hope the my expectations are not the outcome and this does have success even if it's temporary like Hota was.

• Like 1

since it takes a lot longer to win now, does that mean working up to 99ql lumps on winning will take longer?

are fences etc gonna be removed when the camp despawns or are the pvp servers gonna have weird 40x40 fence crop circles everywhere

I hope the fences would be insta removed otherwise more crap clogging up Chaos map which is already chock full of old deeds and tunnels and crap ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sn00 said:

Not a fan of the idea.

I'd scrap it.

agreed

• Like 1

+1 i kinda like the idea. it certainly encourages pvp more than HOTA in its current form.

I think it would be better to not allow any building/terraforming within the 40x40 zone, period. Keep it a natural landscape. See how that goes. If for some reason players start fencing the entire 40x40 zones, there could be a 45x45 increased off-deed decay zone that remains for x days based on how long it takes 80ql offdeed structures to decay, for example.

Idea sounds great on paper though. Perhaps we could set a couple timers in here for a more group-oriented testing session (for example, Wednesday 7pm US Central time those interested could login to compete on the test server, and again at say 12pm US central time next Saturday).

DA

• Like 5

Although not perfect, I think it's a much better idea than the current hota and only time will tell just how good or not it is

• Like 1

remove the the terraforming by owned kingdoms and fences etc.. make it so no one can build  anything.

just give the owned kingdom the CR buff the camps always had.

Otherwise everyone going to spam ###### around it will make ppl not want to pvp there.

• Like 7

+1 remove fences, really isn't needed, can't fence current hota like that and people *would* go out and fight if there was more balance among the teams

Don't think it encourages more or less the pvp.

Edited by Mclavin
  • Like 2

*feed back  on the system so far

Camps should spawn guards as the old tower system use to during the cap to create disruption/delay and to stop alts/solo caps being so easy.
No reason for an alt/solo player to be able to disrupt and claim territory so easy. If this isn't implemented then the whole system is a no go as alts will be logged out near by to just cap back and fourth.
I just sat afk through a 5 minute cap.

*No message that the camp had STARTED to been capped in deaths, this should be a every 1 minute message in deaths.

*[10:06:06] A group of fighters see the strategic value of this place. It is made from birchwood. It can not be improved. Ql: 90.0, Dam: 8.0.

^ Question - Does a battle camp take damage over time to where it will vanish?

Edited by Mclavin

Yeah now that you mention it, the fences are rather... If i wanted to wait for my enemies to leave their hop id just go to their deed, there's no need for that here, remove them

Battle Camps are now containers, and have a slim chance of generating moon metal lumps at certain intervals. This chance decreases as more lumps are generated, so holding onto a single camp for an extended period of time has diminishing returns.

---

I think when you cap 4 battle camps you should get the MM in a hota statue too. I mean what if we cap 4 battle camps in 5 minutes? You're basically implying the game would be don't win hota until you get x amount of mm generated, but thats a slim chance. I feel like we're going to be getting more MM at rifts, which isn't good.

I would consider keeping the sparkles after the test, even if it's just to say MM has spawned inside. I think it's more fun to know where to respond instead of just looking for something that will move every x days.
This is for PVP so let's get us to the location and get us fighting. 

Edited by Mclavin
  • Like 1

Whilst the current hota isn't the best when 1 kingdom can Control the area - it gave me reason even as JK to go out and get it, despite the huge risk of death vs MRC.
I was guaranteed a lump of MM both glimmer and addy and a hota statue for a reward, teleported to deed.

Now the kingdom who returned daily to complete the hota, would get long term reward of increased quality of MM to a point where your alliance would generate 99ql lumps on every win.

My questions are: What makes you think this is worth going out and dying for, if chance for the MM every kingdom seeks is slim and put in my inventory, not teleported to deed
and not even guaranteed to be there when I go look, even if I fight my way to the tower itself, when we can go rift on freedom in saftey and possibly generate more MM weekly that way?
What do kingdom get for getting wins on this system? Do the lumps stay at 99ql for the current alliances, or will this be scraped and random ql will be generated?  

This is test so please give us the details and don't be cryptic over the following:

MM QL and how often MM spawns per day and the weight.

thanks @Retrograde

Edited by Mclavin

Map is pretty big, How many camps will actually be spawned at one time? Can two or three kingdoms actually have 4 camps each?

• Like 2

I think there should only be 4 camps per (game) so you can't just avoid contesting. I hope for example five won't eventually spawn. 

Edited by Mclavin

If every day spawns new battle camp... how many battle camps are limit?

so every 4 days you get a chance to win the big reward if i understood right and if by some miracle you conquer all 4(could be easier with more camps). Small groups could barely conquer one and hold it if only 4 camps.. larger kingdoms can just divide and conquer or just wipe the floor with them. I am saying this, even if all players were equal in skills and gear its impossible unless other kingdoms are inactive. They usually are not and are provided with far better gear and numbers.

Fences might help smaller groups to hold their ground.. that is if they ever get a chance to conquer it and then chaos would be full of fences...

hopefully this system would be more randomized than rifts so you cant predict where it spawns and set traps there before even the camp.

Edit... current hota systen is bad, but i dont see this much better tbh.

Edited by Themystrix

40 minutes ago, Mclavin said:

I hope for example five won't eventually spawn

"Any neutral camps, or camps  claimed by other kingdoms, remain in play"

sounds like they'll just spawn endlessly and when you win you take the 4 your kingdom had off the map, so it'd be possible for every kingdom to have 3 capped with neutral ones lying around, for example

So if I get this right.. in a few weeks of spawns every kingdom can have 4 camps of their own, milk the first 3 as much as possible and then cap the 4'th one for the hota statue, then repeat, and never have to interact with the other kingdoms since those are also doing the same in "their" lands ? If the point of the new hota is to make it so that the mm loot not be held by a single kingdom, then i guess that will work but it doesn't really help with creating more pvp.

I would like to see a system that would actually make people compete to find and cap battle camps.. and especially go and cap other kingdom's camps.. maybe make it so that when a kingdom caps 4 camps, all the camps on the map disappear or at least turn to neutral again. Also only the kingdom that is the owner of the camp can collect the mm from it, nobody else should be able to.

I'm going to try it on the test server and see how it works, and will get back with feedback..

Just an idea, keep all MM that spawns inside of the camp unmovable. When a kingdom wins, any MM inside their 4 battle camps gets teleported to their capital, along with the hota statue -- or wherever the last conquered battle camp was, if you want to promote the idea that they can be intercepted with these goodies. This encourages people to conquer enemy battlecamps that have been held for awhile, and enemies to defend these battle camps. It'd also help keep away certain forms of alt abuse.

Edited by williamwierd
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Themystrix said:

If every day spawns new battle camp... how many battle camps are limit?

8 hours ago, Mclavin said:

I think there should only be 4 camps per (game) so you can't just avoid contesting. I hope for example five won't eventually spawn. 

8 hours ago, Mojo said:

Map is pretty big, How many camps will actually be spawned at one time? Can two or three kingdoms actually have 4 camps each?

One will keep spawning every 25 hours and all other camps take 2 damage when a new camp spawns so the limit is more based off how much damage they take. If a kingdom wins hota all other neutral/camps owned by other kingdom stay on the map and continue to work as normal it is more of a never ending event now. So you could in theory win hota 2+ times in 1 day if there is a lot of contested/neutral camps around.

13 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

since it takes a lot longer to win now, does that mean working up to 99ql lumps on winning will take longer?

The lump quality is no longer based on your win record.

9 hours ago, Mclavin said:

I think when you cap 4 battle camps you should get the MM in a hota statue too. I mean what if we cap 4 battle camps in 5 minutes? You're basically implying the game would be don't win hota until you get x amount of mm generated, but thats a slim chance. I feel like we're going to be getting more MM at rifts, which isn't good.

I would consider keeping the sparkles after the test, even if it's just to say MM has spawned inside. I think it's more fun to know where to respond instead of just looking for something that will move every x days.
This is for PVP so let's get us to the location and get us fighting. 

You will win a larger amount of moon metal in a hota statue like normal, if the amount is to low for the effort that can always be adjusted. The sparkles are not going to go live, you should be out looking for them they can't spawn in water or on crazy slope so they shouldn't be to hard to find.

7 hours ago, faty said:

So if I get this right.. in a few weeks of spawns every kingdom can have 4 camps of their own, milk the first 3 as much as possible and then cap the 4'th one for the hota statue, then repeat

The chance for lumps goes down very fast after the first few, farming them shouldn't be much of an issue and if it is can easily be adjusted to make it not worth holding off on a win for it.

9 hours ago, Mclavin said:

MM QL and how often MM spawns per day and the weight.

thanks @Retrograde

The camps don't have a set schedule for MM lumps its very random and becomes harder every lump it spits. It gives 1 50+ quality lump with the metal picked at random each time the random numbers line up for it.

The final reward from winning is not fully decided yet it will be a larger amount of moon metal at the least.

13 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

are fences etc gonna be removed when the camp despawns or are the pvp servers gonna have weird 40x40 fence crop circles everywhere

12 hours ago, Rhianna said:

I hope the fences would be insta removed otherwise more crap clogging up Chaos map which is already chock full of old deeds and tunnels and crap ?

9 hours ago, Gladiator said:

Yeah now that you mention it, the fences are rather... If i wanted to wait for my enemies to leave their hop id just go to their deed, there's no need for that here, remove them

As far as fences go I'll bring it up for discussion, so no comment on that yet.

• Like 2