Sign in to follow this  
Jola

white dye

The first kind of color that i wanted to apply on my armor and a house was white.

a fix would be awesome

I dyed my Knarr white, was a rather expensive mistake! 

I was told it was a bug for 4-5 years so would be unlikely fixed soon :)

+1 from me, although I imagine a lot of things would suddenly change white if it was implemented.

(Many things which people would not have wanted, such as used on wood just to make them all match or lamps for brightness, rather than actually wanting white wood - such as my knarr).

Edited by Vaelir

It's about time +1. I don't know what I'd paint white but Is there a reason for it to be broken for so long?

It's not even really a bug, just unfortunate consequence of wurm's color model (and well color theory in general)

Wurm's color are multiplicative, and since pure white = 1 - multiplying anything by 1 doesn't change the color.

They could for example change to an additive model but then black doesn't work. Or make it average which lets both white and black work but you can't get really vibrant colors and everything looks pastel. There isn't really an easy solution.

Moreover any change will also affect how already painted items look which will piss everyone off...

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, bdew said:

It's not even really a bug, just unfortunate consequence of wurm's color model (and well color theory in general)

Wurm's color are multiplicative, and since pure white = 1 - multiplying anything by 1 doesn't change the color.

They could for example change to an additive model but then black doesn't work. Or make it average which lets both white and black work but you can't get really vibrant colors and everything looks pastel. There isn't really an easy solution.

Moreover any change will also affect how already painted items look which will piss everyone off...

One solution I can see is making a new item called bleach (for example) that sets the values differently , this item would not be able to be mixed with the rest however.

• Like 5

+1

Yes they might need to create a special case for white or predominantly white dye. 

It is something that quite a few people want, and I hope someone will look into a solution. :) 

As Bdew said, it's more a result of how the colour system works. 

Sadly this isn't something that's easily done, as touching it would affect all dyes, which then creates more issues so it's not high on any priority list

Yes i can see everyone's 90ql lamps with high ql white shooting a white glow instead of strong clear light lol.

Edited by Toecutter

On 2/4/2019 at 1:28 PM, Vaelir said:

I dyed my Knarr white, was a rather expensive mistake! 

I was told it was a bug for 4-5 years so would be unlikely fixed soon :)

+1 from me, although I imagine a lot of things would suddenly change white if it was implemented.

(Many things which people would not have wanted, such as used on wood just to make them all match or lamps for brightness, rather than actually wanting white wood - such as my knarr).

I hope it was not sold to you ,i always told people who brought dyes off me and wanted large amounts of white that it will not work.

Applying 94ql white dye to a stone statue did absolutely nothing at all.

A dye / colour overhaul has been promised for years - would be wonderful to have this fixed, rather than more cosmetic stuff. ?

I'd love a white cart. Even if it was a new item like white paint which would work/ be made slightly differently rather than fiddle with existing dye system 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2019 at 8:54 PM, Toecutter said:

I hope it was not sold to you ,i always told people who brought dyes off me and wanted large amounts of white that it will not work.

Was sold to me by the OP lol :) Lesson Learnt and no hard feelings!

Think it was covered here:

On 2/5/2019 at 5:47 PM, Retrograde said:

As Bdew said, it's more a result of how the colour system works. 

Sadly this isn't something that's easily done, as touching it would affect all dyes, which then creates more issues so it's not high on any priority list

On 2/5/2019 at 4:45 AM, Sn00 said:

One solution I can see is making a new item called bleach (for example) that sets the values differently , this item would not be able to be mixed with the rest however.

+1

That really should not be terribly difficult to code, either, I bet.