Sign in to follow this  
Finnn

Alliance teleport (call it however you want..)

How would "reciprocal" permissions work?  In other words, what if you have permissions at this end but not that end?  Is there a way of knowing that?   

I can foresee one problem, whereby someone in a network of portals locks theirs behind gates etc, so that anyone porting in can do nothing but port out again, while the owner has access to all the "open" ones.

(Still in favour of the idea, just nutting out details)

Edited by TheTrickster
post saved while still typing

10 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

I can foresee one problem, whereby someone in a network of portals locks theirs behind gates etc, so that anyone porting in can do nothing but port out again, while the owner has access to all the "open" ones.

maybe link them to the highway system somehow? it already has protections that force waystones to be accesible

that's design/dev decision if they decide to pickup the idea and implement it with some depth to permissions

I'd allow return to home deed or you should similar to alliance perms be allowed to use at least homedeed tp, that should always allow you to return home at the very least, this just halts any issues with being stuck somewhere, rest could be limited by w/e owner decides;

"phone system", just you have a home-gnome operating it.. call it Spock/Scotty/etc.. and yell at it to beam you up.. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

maybe link them to the highway system somehow? it already has protections that force waystones to be accesible

not really an issue to allow you to list/search other deeds for perms if deeds outside alliances/groups are to be linked as feature.. but hw system is public and links anything that is linked.. you can find anything, that suggests teleporting anywhere, I personally do not like that idea; that also limits 'hermit' deeds which are off the highway system to be unable to use such feature at all if it's bound to hw links

23 hours ago, Finnn said:

Wont affect wagon network at all.. unless you want to teleport 20-30 dirt at a time somewhere.. or similar amount of logs per hop.. and spend your day bouncing between deeds for or no cost. Crate deliveries are heavy things in crates.. last I checked.. players can not pickup crates.

From the original post/proposal:  "What it promotes is a bit more freedom when it comes to playing with friends and other people you want to help or trade with(besides the casual playing with new/old friends, diggers/miners/priests/etc.. anybody who have to travel somewhere to do it's job.. will be using it for trading/work also)"

Left unspecified is exactly the impact the proposal intends to have on "trading".  But if there isn't more than the "20-30 dirts or similar amount of logs" then you can hardly say it's of benefit to trading, so there is clearly more intended than the amount a single person could carry.  Other supporting posts suggest the same.  Taken to the extreme, you get instant transport of goods directly between deeds, which is bad.

23 hours ago, Finnn said:

Social aspects.. you'll socialize and talk with whoever you like to contact and interact with, if you find 20 new people on the server in your local, do you go and creep over them.. see what they do and start conversation with every single one of them?

Y'know, that's kinda how you meet new people and make new friends.  See people in Local, say hi, strike up a conversation.  No, you probably shouldn't walk up to their buildings and stare into their windows while holding butcher knives.  Then that would indeed be creepy.

If you get off your deed and look around, then yes, you will meet new people; there are so many people in the game who don't use the chat channels and who are just as amazing or even more amazing than those who do.  If you choose to be friendly and are willing to strike up a conversation, you can make new friends.  If you never leave your deed, but just teleport around to your alliance deeds all the time, the server will seem a little smaller for you, but you won't actually interact with and meet anyone except your own group.

I agree a fast-travel system is insanely useful to the point of perhaps being a necessity given the size of the servers and travel times related to that.  However, I think it shouldn't encourage or enable continued isolation within a multiplayer game, nor should it be such that only the wealthy can afford it and dole it out to others at their whim.

Popping around between deeds with little to no effort and lording your travel network over the heads of the less fortunate doesn't feel like a direction I think the game should take.

You don't have to know or interact with everybody. Thinking otherwise is good, but in the end, you were in school, you were in college, you were working at several places, how many of the people in these 'worlds' did you meet, talk with or go out to hang around for a game, event, beer after work? All of them? VERY SMALL amount of them?

Do you see a pattern for your social interactions?

If you want to go out and be social - this isn't stopping anybody in any way, if you want to explore - door's over there, just pass through the gate and explore, small or bigger map, all the same.

What is 'less fortunate'?

Suggested materials aren't too high at all, cost should probably be higher just to discourage people from creating tp points at every next small deed and stick to one on their main deed.

Wagoner network over highway links exists for so long now, how do people still charge for delivery?

Seems like afk (ro)bot deliveries work just fine and there are still people exploring and delivering to address..

• Like 1