Sign in to follow this  
Finnn

Alliance teleport (call it however you want..)

Clearly that is not dead which can eternal lie.

The argument laid out above still holds, it needs a cost per use.  The cost doesn't have to be high (charging up a gate with magic, source, or maybe even specially prepped rift hearts), but it does need to exist.

On 2/21/2020 at 10:09 AM, elentari said:

Then how about building portals in pre-defined locations on the map based on topography?

Let's give a practical example for Deliverance.  4 portals could be built.

Link here: https://imgur.com/a/vrrUs3A

They would work as follows:  You can use any portal to any other portal.

Limitations : They work as charges. Each teleport consumes 1 charge. You get 1 charge per 5 points of Soul Depth. Cooldown timer is 24 hrs for charges. Ex. a 25 SD player can use portals 5 times a day.

You cannot use them in combat.

You can use them if mounted or riding a cart/wagon/ship transporter but the charge cost is doubled.

You cannot use them if other people are embarked as passengers.

Requires premium.

Benefits? Get to rifts faster, get to locations faster, easier hunting without compromising the travel aspect of the game.

Gives a reason to grind nature skills.

Eases travel and trade.

Server wide projects to build them. Mat cost should be high and require many skill types. Rewards for those involved in building them : titles and things like that. Portal Builder for ex.

Thought of it, but it's somewhat restricting, and stationary teleports made by players make more sense as game literally is .. make anything from nothing.... I added the dump-moonmetal and other valuables into it.. to make a sink for valuables also for a reason

I LIKE THE IDEA WITH SoulDepth charges or w/e... it's easy enough to grind, and I cant really think of myself to use this more than 4times.. like going to A or B and back to where I came from(home), meaning.. event and maybe work/help/get-help by friends in the same day or chain of few days..  

- New Characters have already 15 or 19.50 SD at start... they'll just get 3-4 teleports at this.. which makes it barely any restriction if brand new alts created .. could use it; I do however like the idea of maybe 1 teleport for f2p characters per day if there are limitations;

My way to evade limits for newbs.. was again.. alliance controlled system:

...making it so.. you can use a,b,c,d,e.... teleports if you are part of that alliance..

- if not.. you need permission added to be allowed,

- if not.. "well travel on your own.. you're not welcome here"

- gives you a reason to play nice,

- gives you a reason to part of something,

- gives you a reason to make friends even if you aren't a deed owner or part of the alliance..

- you could make use of all that by not being a bad rep person/having permission to use it all or parts/(which again puts a lot back into players, rather than OP system letting you use it all however you like)

I was mostly hoping this to be completely free for alliance members.. and keep the value of it only into it's creation, it will be much less used and useful if it costs you every time you have to use it.

I did think 'a lot', pulled it all in like 30 min but, but obviously thought of only a few workarounds which I tried to wrap with a self-healing system or permissions and linking within a network of it's own group/read alliance/; 

Interest in such feature is obviously there, as this is far from first or last post about such mechanic, newest idea for teleportation to static place/s is this one:

1 hour ago, Etherdrifter said:

Clearly that is not dead which can eternal lie.

The argument laid out above still holds, it needs a cost per use.  The cost doesn't have to be high (charging up a gate with magic, source, or maybe even specially prepped rift hearts), but it does need to exist.

No it doesn't, you want example? Priests do not pay for favor it's 2x faster regained, passively, even offline, you get to charge favor and do bulk actions like digging, mining, refueling for free at no cost essentially if you regain what you invest by doing nothing.

What were you saying that things need a cost?

Not everything in the game needs a priest or magic tied to it.

Lore does not explain much about existing teleports like epic/jackal or ability teleports.. these could be scrapped with a Libila's return to freedom and be called Lib Domain wells or what the ... ever around that, lore is created easily.

You're the one of few that insists this needs a cost or priest involved to bring misery to people, I do not agree, people should be able to forge their own means of easier play as the game progresses.. obviously new players can not have bulk of moon metals or skills to make this, they need to get gud in the game to be able to one day have their own deed with such feature - end game content...

"Pay to win is a problem"? Wurm allows it.. you can buy any amount of silver on your day 1 and buy a castle built by somebody else, gear, furniture, priest services, no longer a character but with good toss of money you can run 50x 2silver alts for 100 euro and hyper sermon on your own in a week.

symbolic cost?

Players could make use of their STP like on niarja, the more you have the more you can use the teleport, giving you reason to be active and get better to be allowed to lift your own restrictions, lets say I have a bit over 2 or 5 or 15mil stp.. let me teleport 2-5-15 times a day, keep reset of the limitation to the 16hour reset timer to be more fun... let me do daily cycle telportation around the server at that point..

Is that OP? Can you do it with alliance network and priest in every deed passively regaining favor? yes? How is this different than? it already exists, should we nerf that??

I'm pretty supportive of the idea of portals between starter towns, especially in Xanadu; the time required for travel really can be prohibitive, and I think some realism can be compromised for the sake of fun and QoL.

I'm less on board with portals set up within* alliances. If they aren't prohibitively expensive to use, then I think they run the risk of cutting into the realism of the fantasy medieval setting a bit too much. Geographical boundaries were a reality of the past, and I appreciate Wurm's simulation of that. My fear with allowing alliances to build these kinds of networks without significant maintenance costs  is it runs the risk of that realism being replaced by competing networks of stargates that completely defy spatial limitations. Especially when you add the comparison people have made to trader deeds.

Regarding the point 'but I want to do stuff with my friends': try living closer to your friends, or even living with your friends. Accept that you need to compromise between the freedom of isolation versus the pros of being part of a community. It's not about being a "care-bear," it's about not insisting on having a your cake and eating it too.

* edit

Edited by KharnovKrow
Wrong word
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Finnn said:

No it doesn't, you want example? Priests do not pay for favor it's 2x faster regained, passively, even offline, you get to charge favor and do bulk actions like digging, mining, refueling for free at no cost essentially if you regain what you invest by doing nothing.

What were you saying that things need a cost?

Not everything in the game needs a priest or magic tied to it.

Lore does not explain much about existing teleports like epic/jackal or ability teleports.. these could be scrapped with a Libila's return to freedom and be called Lib Domain wells or what the ... ever around that, lore is created easily.

Quick point of order here.

Favor does not regenerate while offline, not sure where you got that information from.  Also, it regenerates a lot slower than you'd think, any form of useful casting can't really be done with passive favour regeneration, so you have to sacrifice a lot of cloth squares/cordage rope.

Also, two of the suggestions for cost were directly NOT priest unique.  Source is available to everyone, and rift hearts likewise.

The argument for cost isn't related in any way to linking priests in to everything, it is linked to the idea of perpetual gates eventually overunning servers to the point roads are no longer useful.

source is quite scarse and quite expensive.. it's a lot more valuable than favor;

favor on it's own is priest content, with right knowledge and shenanigans.. there's plenty of free favor in the game to gain and use, if you have access to a few specifics.. / still requires actual priest account that is premmed to use = extra expense, making it not cheap/

Rifts suck in general(with the time when they spawn&location).. once bunny hearts get turned into something useful... expect a shitshow to start.. people just be collecting and hoarding them to sell to others... making this.. dead content locked by greed and hoarding.. idea was to help social interaction, not work against it

So why are you against something that brings something good for everybody in the end and in it's core idea have no cost besides the material/resource sink for it's creation, something that any character in the game could also do?

You never want to play with friends or allies?

You always want to pay for simple things?

Why do you want to be punished and charged when you just want to interact with friends? I don't get it...

5 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

The argument for cost isn't related in any way to linking priests in to everything, it is linked to the idea of perpetual gates eventually overunning servers to the point roads are no longer useful.

None of the above 3 pages stops anybody from using a horse to explore... it enriches the game, does not put limits, well permission system adds some for a reason to limit extra/unwanted/ use of this

too lazy to check the OP it was posted quite long ago... but.. pretty sure I've put or at least thought of at least 1 of these per local.. or to scale the range at while.. once one of these is built.. another can not be...(with the exception.. of maybe GM allowed building or other way to add exception.. in the cases when 2 neighbors are living too close to each other.. and want one.. but the mechanics wont allow them to link with their alliance's network, besides that case.. there's certainly need to limit the building of such too often.. if the cost of resources isn't enough to just dump all over the map; I didn't think somebody's insane enough to pop 50-500 gems and 5kg moonmetal per teleport for no reason... and at the point somebody does that... it will be spending quite some fortune to do it.. where it's at the verge or premming several priests.. just to teleport around the map)

Roads are useful, you move faster on them.. bare foot/mount/cart/wagons/transporters.. should we ban boats from the game because they make no use of the roads?

Or stop mailboxes because "they are not fun" to have around and it will be better to use the roads to deliver items with wagoners or use human messengers?

Wagoners make use of the highway system which is built on roads.. and people find deeds with that system.. or send bulk goods on same server through same system.. but is that system perfect.. no..

Teleport with ability to move your mount/cart/wagon with you gives you the ability to save time from traveling.. when that adds nothing to your plan besides time dump; any other time when you want .. you can grab a cart/wagon and take the long road.. and find stuff on your path or kill bunch of creatures for cooking meat or loot; but some people do not like to explore.. they just want to be... and interact with others, maybe 1 proof of that is.. the fact that many do not exit their deeds...

"- BUT, this will stop people from moving around.."  pff, c'mon if you want to stalk somebody at deed A, you can stalk it at deed B, doesn't really change anything.. if somebody doesn't want to go past some local.. it wont go through it.. there's plenty of other locals and roads to use as it is.

add ven ture ,  i spend 30 min boating across servers to go rifting seeing interesting stuff n deeds along the way i boat to a close location park n ride the rest of the way ,set up tent n bedroll log if early for a while, when finished i go park boat in ocean n log if late, go home rl next day .     so to be teleport lazy i get my friends hey teleport me to rift wham ,then teleport me home wham, well that was fun , once i played wow long ago i walked everywere till mths later i got a horse unreal i thought made my year , now yrs later i see they fly and have lost the plot ,  back at wurm i stay at peoples places crash in there homes hiding from danger i have all over wurm its why i love the game , i class teleporting to rifts or slayings cheating no other way around it , 

On 2/20/2020 at 11:23 PM, Finnn said:

#rise #IGuess

Let's try again.. Give your thoughts about such transportation in wurm world

538f377d9aea89db8817bf3dce70f204.jpg

So, I personally read this as a potential Valrei mission structure, and a massive community undertaking:

• Would never come up on multi-Kingdom (non-Home PvP) servers, mostly because mission difficulty cannot conceivably get that high before maintenance server-restart.
  • Can only be built/continued during the active mission window.
  • Potential construction sites must be designated beforehand by the mayor of server Starter Town(s) or mission will not spawn.
  • Functionality should be cost-tiered and similar to mailbox
    • Spoiler
      • Free teleport of avatar-only - no items (same as death-respawn but without skill-loss - pick destination in the ether). Available as right-click/bindable -> Teleport for free with no popup. (If you misclick, teleport back for free and try again. ;))
      • Fast teleport (bindable) to opt to be charged one of several large, fixed sums of in-game currency, to reduce all the form-filling to one "Agree" popup.
      • Low karma cost of equipped-weapons/armour-only - not including equipped backpack or tent (no items from inventory except no-drop items)
      • Same currency cost as for mailing items for ONLY an equipped backpack, newbie items are exempt. (equipped newbie armour will be transferred to inventory on spawn for no cost)
      • Flat rate for tent in inventory - Starter tent is exempt.
      • Low marks/moderate karma cost for co-teleport of pet.
      • Currency cost for pet equipment co-mailing.
      • Low/common resource cost (to fuel Kingdom Portal) to co-teleport a dragged, empty small cart. (Use Get Price)
      • Scaling resource cost to teleport the contents of the container.
      • Flat rate per empty, nested container type - backpacks/barrels/small chests/jars/barrels etc.
      • Content percentage tax for mailing liquids.
      • Moderate/rare resource cost to co-teleport a commanded, unhitched, empty large cart. (Get Price/Use a rare)
      • Scaling marks/karma cost for co-teleport of led animals.
      • Currency cost for led-animal equipment co-mailing.
      • Separate/additional resource cost for loaded items of the container.
      • Flat rate per empty nested container type - crates/rafts/large chests/racks etc.
      • Content percentage tax for mailing bulk goods.
      • High/supreme resource cost to co-teleport a commanded, unhitched, empty, wagon/creature transporter. (Get Price/Use a supreme)
      • Flat rate per creature cage
      • Marks/high karma cost for co-teleport of caged creatures.
      • Very high/fantastic resource cost to co-teleport a commanded, unhitched, empty, ship transporter. (Get Price/Use a fantastic)
      • Flat rate per empty ship type.
      • Scaled Karma cost for total value of enchants/runes in the teleport shipment.

• May require an action timer and/or teleport queue position - still faster than traditional transport except at 'rush hour'- so as not to break the server with lag or disconnect the client. Remember how buggy mailboxes were? And you want to teleport animals/vehicles/goods by magic? Structure should remain 'in use' (like a bed) until everything has properly materialised at its destination.

• Structure should require a large flat area to be constructed on, to allow for multiple respawn points in case 1 account crashes or the player goes afk.

• If all respawn points are occupied, structure cannot be used by additional accounts.

• All Starter Towns on the server must have a neighbouring, completed Kingdom Teleport structure, before any additional Kingdom Teleports can be built.

Oh no this was never intended by me at least to be a pvp content, even if it's not blocked to use when enemy is in local.. it's possible to collect a lot of people from 1 place to another and start a 'raid' or w/e from there, not that it prevents other than saving time to move from A to B( pretty much the whole point of it.. but lets just face it.. pvpers normally want no changes or w/e they want.. I'm giving them the power to ask for it,  tl;dr it was not intended as any pvp content);

* Seems like you've skipped reading the whole.. build on deed and control who can use it part(mainly as alliance perk construction, not for free use unless somebody outside is permitted to use 1 or more nodes), that alone puts a lot of limitation to who can (ab)use it and to a large part manages the movement through it on it's own and it's network.. it was meant to be pretty much like alliance system but with teleports rather than deeds.. either locked to deeds within alliance or not.. again upon consideration.. how to be implemented and managed from settings for the network of teleport spots.

You're already paying for a lot of things(karma is rarely used as it's much harder to get than spend), this can work with cooldown and have less/more usages per day or w/e time period based on your powers.

Initial thought was easier way to get from A to B to assist with something and get back, but same movement allows all kinds of other activities obviously, moving mount/carts etc is(was) not included.. but would be nice, else it promotes mount/vehicle sharing.

Don't think you need huge area or sleeping spots etc.. it's probably easy to reuse summon/border crossing or w/e of that sort code to move from A to B.. with or without your mount/vehicle.

just my thought, implementation is out of my hands

I'm sure something like this could be cooked up, adding more restrictions and control to it and usage cost/cooldown per player or per portal.

It works while mounted on a vehicle or an animal (just have to remount after teleporting so branded horses or lead permissions on destination deed are a must).

One scenario i could see being grieffy is if someone places something like that in a pen and visitor doesn't have enough karma/money/tokens to teleport back but i'm sure a requirement can be added that it's adjacent to a highway, much like a wagoner, in which case it can't be blocked by fences etc.

By default the deed only has to be connected to a highway network for it to work, doesn't matter where the connection happens. Portal can be placed anywhere, not necessarily near a highway.

In current state it doesn't quite match the suggestion but bulk of the good work is done there.

Li4PWor.png

5 hours ago, Finnn said:

* Seems like you've skipped reading the whole.. build on deed and control who can use it part(mainly as alliance perk construction, not for free use unless somebody outside is permitted to use 1 or more nodes), that alone puts a lot of limitation to who can (ab)use it and to a large part manages the movement through it on it's own and it's network.. it was meant to be pretty much like alliance system but with teleports rather than deeds.. either locked to deeds within alliance or not.. again upon consideration.. how to be implemented and managed from settings for the network of teleport spots.

Yeah, you got me. Instead of writing "-1, I dislike x, y and z about your idea because a, b, let alone c", I just ignored the things I didn't like and talked about a version of it that I could imagine being in this game.

Kinda like haggling, but skipping the 'pretending to be insulted' part.

Spoiler

The pretending-to-be-insulted part:

XZQ5ijB.png

5 hours ago, Finnn said:

You're already paying for a lot of things(karma is rarely used as it's much harder to get than spend), this can work with cooldown and have less/more usages per day or w/e time period based on your powers.

I can't really see what there is to spend karma on, if you're not using it for Commune.

x3XQs5e.png

The only thing my list insists on the use of karma for, is travelling by KT whilst having your weapons and armour equipped.

And if Starter Towns didn't have a permanent litter of small carts languishing like abandoned shopping trolleys, that might be a problem.

So okay, you'd be asked to spend either karma or marks to co-teleport the very animals that might otherwise define the point of their existence as getting you from point A to point B.

Call that either an animal-rights advocacy, or a deity movement substitute - you're using karma to move animals around a map, instead of your deity.

There are breeders that cannot find people to give away animals to for free; therefore this is an opportunity to set up useful, free-2-take pools of animals at every KT, to support not having to spend karma.

You don't NEED the best animals, if they aren't going to be used to travel long distances through dangerous territory.

But the option is there, for those who have nothing better to do with small sums of karma or marks, especially if you've just spent all day looking for a wild, champ X animal for your zoo.

I deliberately didn't state any numbers for any costs - just the relationships between the costs and their relative sizes.

I basically see adding a fixed teleport network to Wurm, as the equivalent of asking to have a spirit-shipping port, along with all the customs and excise that would imply, to tie in with existing markets, player-shipping, Wagoners, and mailboxes.

Edit:

This does not mean that smaller/private versions could not exist, in addition.

Edited by Drayka

you only get karma from doing missions, and you cant just do them without spending some serious amount of time..

I dont get why you wouldnt like to pay 50copper every time you get on your cart or pay tax for having a cart or moving on the roads with that cart.. wait.. you do? hm

get it? if it's suggested to help something.. why should that be bleeding your currency being coin/karma/favor or w/e..  idea for it was to initially dump a bunch of silvers for it's creation in the form of one-time moonmetal sacrifice

• Like 1

I think you are hugely overestimating how much I think it should cost to use the basic service. I happen to believe in high-quality, community-funded public transport systems.

I am however trying to be aware of and respect, PvE horse/bison markets, mailbox mechanics, wagoners (even though I have NEVER used one, and never will), and the PvE fiscal economy (which I never succeeded in becoming part of and now have no interest in, since the PvP war economy is far more fascinating).

unless you need to transfer something with a cart/wagon.. it's faster and cheaper to use wagoner/mailing.. everything takes time.. most play just ondeed because of that, that walk from A to B takes you 20 minutes.. great, but you need to do it twice, you have only few hours to play and you've lost an hour doing nothing.. so entertaining and fulfilling your day;

wagoner and mailing system have plenty of furniture which you can not send with the magic of npc transfers.. that needs some sort of transportation to get from 1 place to another.. and involves a person doin it.. besides that.. do you spend few coppers or an hour to deliver a few crates of planks.. idk, your call(that already exists in the game, it's not changing much)

the reason I look casually at it is because it's a simple thing in many games and it's not blown out of proportion for what it does, it's speed travel exactly to save time, what you do is up to you, you can do the same thing no matter where you are, it's the time it saved you to move around; cooldowns etc.. can be set to limit whatever concerns 

+1 to anything that implies faster gameplay. While I do enjoy exploration, travelling the same roads gets tedious after a time. 

And while we do have the priest teleport thingy, it still relies on an external party for that mechanic to happen. 

Giving players the ability to build portals at the travel cost of karma / faith / fatigue/ sleep bonus / whatever you want would be a great way to reduce the long travel timers. 

1.  Bump

2. I keep thinking it would help limit this to "personal travel" if somehow at the destination the traveller was not allowed off-deed at the destination (so they would have to teleport back to their origin).

This will basically turn the game into instanced housing. What's the difference between travelling to a friends house in Runescape via the portal vs travelling to a friends deed in Wurm via the portal? Travel is part of the game in Wurm.

Also why would I be travelling all over the place doing missions for karma so I can teleport to a friends deed. When I can just travel there directly.

Edited by Idlamn
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

1.  Bump

2. I keep thinking it would help limit this to "personal travel" if somehow at the destination the traveller was not allowed off-deed at the destination (so they would have to teleport back to their origin).

this is more of a walkie-talkie network, not a direct line to anything in existence.. if you are on same channel or rather .. "group" you can go there.. idea is to not be able to teleport to places where you are not welcome, as to what you'd do there and if you can handle a bear or 50 .. before you find a wild mount in the area of goal is exploring.. entirely limited to player skill.. or other place having shared random mounts to borrow or you leaving one there, and so on

6 hours ago, Idlamn said:

This will basically turn the game into instanced housing. What's the difference between travelling to a friends house in Runescape via the portal vs travelling to a friends deed in Wurm via the portal? Travel is part of the game in Wurm.

Also why would I be travelling all over the place doing missions for karma so I can teleport to a friends deed. When I can just travel there directly.

no.

idk how runescape tp works.. but i'd imagine it's private shard lobby, and not a house in the actual world.. with the amount of the players rs have.. you'd need several maps just to give players space to have houses..

wurm is nothing like that

and this doesnt limit you what you'd do, you could travel and get a few kills, see stuff, loot or w/e you like to do while you're on the road, or you can save time if that's not a thing you like to waste and just be where you need to be to get todays goals going before it's time to delay them for tomorrow

I never suggested that this should be literally costing karma, coins, favor, reimping and constant maintenance.. players LOVE to hurt their time and resources, as you read above.. it's "great to use favor because it's free for some, but other need to call priests to charge the batteries or pay whatever coin/karma/resources", wogic is huge fairplay is the goal imo, but some want other to be in disadvantage so perks are in somebody else's yard

Edited by Finnn
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Finnn said:

no.

idk how runescape tp works.. but i'd imagine it's private shard lobby, and not a house in the actual world.. with the amount of the players rs have.. you'd need several maps just to give players space to have houses..

I was referring to Tricksters idea of allowing them too move only in the boundaries of the deed - cause they want to visit x or y deed right? Well without that limit then it can be used to just teleport across the map. It's much easier to teleport to Greymead from your deed near Glasshollow (just a made up example), then do your business in the vicinity, teleport back. Yeah sure meeting with other people might be a small part of it, but still.

Just posting to make one point.

I think it would be a mistake to tie any kind of fast travel mechanism to Alliances. I say this for a couple of reasons:

• players are currently free to use an alliance simply as a way to select a group of people to keep in touch with, in a long range dedicated chat group
  • players are currently free to use an alliance as part of the permissions system
  • alliances tend to be based in a particular geographical region

Tying travel to alliances — or rather, limiting travel to within one — distorts and complicates the matter, and reduces players' options. I mean, you're going to want those other deeds to be a long way away, otherwise what's the point? So say goodbye to regional alliances. You're going to need to consider who's in your alliance again. It may not be worthwhile to restrict it to people you know well, and trust, unless they can afford to found deeds in far-flung corners.

I see absolutely no problem with that, you build construction, you do not build one.. you manage and limit who can use it and dial in to get there or from there somewhere else - entirely up to you or how I imagine it to be working best, just like you enable or disable priest spells ondeed.

While it's "alliance" thing, you have some trust in all or most people, if you put teleports from/to random places.. you're bound to deal with some odd and annoying consequences eventually.

It's simplified for a reason and additionally there should be permission controls, or not.. I just threw some blueprint what should work well and cause least drama if any ever.. and then it's 1 click to solve it.

planning alliance around tp points seems 🤪(probably the 1st time I find this emote best explaining series of sentences)

This seems a bit exclusive to the rich and the elite who, because of their long-term presence in the game, already experience many perks above and beyond what other lesser mortals can experience.  The mention of using this for trading would also impact the need for the wagoner network, providing even more benefit to those already in the lead.

The fact that it's on-deed and related to/controlled by alliances reinforces this disparity.

The usefulness of a fast-travel system should reduce the time spent traveling to open up more of the map in a shorter playtime without allowing you to instantly jump from where you want to start to where you want to end.  What we currently have now is one extreme.  This proposal is the opposite extreme.  We need something in the happy middle.

Amadee said it best, and the whole post is worth a re-read:

On 1/27/2019 at 6:03 PM, Amadee said:

Meh.  So many people believe that fast travel means that people won't travel any more, people won't explore, people won't be as social (as if they are now, lol), people won't <insert some activity people want to force onto others here>.  I often wonder if those that believe that have actually experienced it in a Wurm game.  Using other games as an example is useless because, you know...different game and all that. 

Having experienced fast travel on the wu servers I've played on that have it in one form or another, I've found that the opposite is true.  Some have highway portals tied in to the highway system. Some have mark/recall runes like in UO, some have set portals in strategic locations, etc.  But the thing they all have in common is that they completely debunk the myth that fast travel would be harmful to Wurm.

People can gather & be sociable more easily so...they do. 

People can get to far sides of the map to explore or hunt, (and *gasp* able to get back home within their allotted play time on any given day), so...they do.  

People can easily get to markets, starter towns, and/or merchants on other people's out-of-the-way deeds so....they do. 

People can go help a friend or even a stranger who needs help, even if they're on the far side of the map, so....they do.

People can <insert any activity that people would like to do but usually can't/don't/won't in wo because they just don't have the time>......so they do.   lol

What I have seen is that people are so much more social, and I see more people out off their deeds doing various things, on the servers that have some form of fast travel than on the ones that do not and in wo.  Granted I've not played every wu server but these have been my observations on the ones I have played on. 

With all that said though, I don't like the idea of exclusivity being placed on travel as proposed in the OP.  It should be for all, even the unwashed masses.  lol

+1 for some sort of fast travel

-1 for placing any sort of exclusivity or roadblocks on it

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Zakiah said:

This seems a bit exclusive to the rich and the elite who, because of their long-term presence in the game, already experience many perks above and beyond what other lesser mortals can experience.  The mention of using this for trading would also impact the need for the wagoner network, providing even more benefit to those already in the lead.

The fact that it's on-deed and related to/controlled by alliances reinforces this disparity.

The usefulness of a fast-travel system should reduce the time spent traveling to open up more of the map in a shorter playtime without allowing you to instantly jump from where you want to start to where you want to end.  What we currently have now is one extreme.  This proposal is the opposite extreme.  We need something in the happy middle.

Amadee said it best, and the whole post is worth a re-read:

What makes you not rich and elite? Just like any other part of the game there's cost to build it, and maintenance or accessibility is only limited to your own rep.. you'll either be allowed to use it or not.. be nice, get far.

There's nothing that limits you if permission controls allows who can do what, you'll be able to be in biggest kingdom and server(lets say freedom and on xanadu) and have lets say 50 deeds in the alliance.. half of them having tp points.. but if most or all do not like to share access to you.. you can keep playing 'elite' and be unable to make use of any of it and have a decorative stone or look for different alliance just to tp from a to b.

As I thought of this.. it was not to be used by just about everybody who get to touch the construction.

I have obviously 0 control of implementation, only sharing my concerns how it's better executed to keep things simple and w/o troubles.

Wont affect wagon network at all.. unless you want to teleport 20-30 dirt at a time somewhere.. or similar amount of logs per hop.. and spend your day bouncing between deeds for or no cost. Crate deliveries are heavy things in crates.. last I checked.. players can not pickup crates.

If somebody's leading anything.. they'll find ways to keep the lead anyway.. let them, it's not like you can stop them, if they are ahead of you, this wont make them better, if anything you get same abilities to do same things.

ok lets read it and comment on it:

On 1/27/2019 at 8:03 PM, Amadee said:

Meh.  So many people believe that fast travel means that people won't travel any more, people won't explore, people won't be as social (as if they are now, lol), people won't <insert some activity people want to force onto others here>.  I often wonder if those that believe that have actually experienced it in a Wurm game.  Using other games as an example is useless because, you know...different game and all that. 

Having experienced fast travel on the wu servers I've played on that have it in one form or another, I've found that the opposite is true.  Some have highway portals tied in to the highway system. Some have mark/recall runes like in UO, some have set portals in strategic locations, etc.  But the thing they all have in common is that they completely debunk the myth that fast travel would be harmful to Wurm.

People can gather & be sociable more easily so...they do. 

People can get to far sides of the map to explore or hunt, (and *gasp* able to get back home within their allotted play time on any given day), so...they do.  

People can easily get to markets, starter towns, and/or merchants on other people's out-of-the-way deeds so....they do. 

People can go help a friend or even a stranger who needs help, even if they're on the far side of the map, so....they do.

People can <insert any activity that people would like to do but usually can't/don't/won't in wo because they just don't have the time>......so they do.   lol

What I have seen is that people are so much more social, and I see more people out off their deeds doing various things, on the servers that have some form of fast travel than on the ones that do not and in wo.  Granted I've not played every wu server but these have been my observations on the ones I have played on. 

With all that said though, I don't like the idea of exclusivity being placed on travel as proposed in the OP.  It should be for all, even the unwashed masses.  lol

+1 for some sort of fast travel

-1 for placing any sort of exclusivity or roadblocks on it

Speaking from experience.. after seeing a few games and finding common issues and solutions.. you can certainly add 2 and 2.. and get a 5 easily, as depends what you aim to provide with the content.. freedom to the player to do what it wants/needs to do today or delay tasks with filler content like traveling and navigating for hour/s, because that's what some think is good content. If you want to experience the trail - road's there, if you don't have the time or do not want to find stuff you do not care about.. you get to skip and enjoy what you enjoy.

Social aspects.. you'll socialize and talk with whoever you like to contact and interact with, if you find 20 new people on the server in your local, do you go and creep over them.. see what they do and start conversation with every single one of them?

It's like a talk about STAIRS vs ELEVATORS.. and somebody just wants to keep the stairs as the only best way to get something done.

Sure it works.. but is there better way to do it, should it be the only way if alternatives exist and better things are yet to come?

Allowing anybody to move around will allow shady stuff to happen, that should not be a thing, while you keep it locked to permissions, you're limiting what happens from and to your deed, both on and around it.