Sign in to follow this  
Finnn

Alliance teleport (call it however you want..)

Alliance teleport (call it however you want..)
- 50 gems or 500* with gems being converted into *new* gem-shards using JS skill at 1:5-10 pieces with varying ql lower or higher within some range of gem's ql; why so few gems.. unless you're an alt-lord.. having 500 gems is 3x endgame dream)
- 5kg moonmetal (cheap enough for rich-er deeds/alliances, not so much for every gawd damn deed to have one)
- 20-30-50? source crystals; these are also kind of uncommon unless all you do is mining all day(and night)
- 500 marble bricks
- 500 slate bricks
- 500 mortar
- 500 electrum (will give players something to do and hate about making this, also remember making it :))

How? 
*Science*

90 masonry + 90sc + 90js to start and work on such creation?

Why?
Why not?

Why not?
Priests can do this, so why not? ... 
Point of this is to have alliance teleports from keypoints(rich enough deeds, markets, ...)

Teleports could work for:
-  deeds within the alliance 
-  (maybe markets/starting towns)
-  also other places with the same structure(making it possible to make friends with other alliances and places to use the feature)

This does not kill priest ability, it lets people move around with the same flexibility;

Priests still have their perk to summon people to THEIR random location; 

What it promotes is a bit more freedom when it comes to playing with friends and other people you want to help or trade with(besides the casual playing with new/old friends, diggers/miners/priests/etc.. anybody who have to travel somewhere to do it's job.. will be using it for trading/work also)

Currently without 'anchor' teleport to return where you were summoned from.. only way to return back is to get a ride/sail home or borrow whatever means to get home safely, making simplest and fastest alternative to return home - teleporting with path/karma ability for these who could use that.

Hmm seems like teleporting around is nothing new, why not expand on this feature with this structure?

Have an opinion?

Care to share?

• Like 2

-1 (edited for reasons given below)

On the one hand, this would make a great alliance project.  It'd be a great endgame goal for players.

On the other hand, I think we need a bit longer to see how the existing teleportation with priests pans out.  So far, it is mostly used to rescue returning players, and new players who get lost on foot.  It offers nothing towards commerce; we can't teleport to the places our casts are needed after all!

There would also need to be a ton of permission updates ("who can teleport to my deed", "who can teleport from the teleporter", etc)

Edited by Etherdrifter

It is a very convenient way to deliver goods to the priests location and cost no cash.

I am gonna +1 suggestion as I would really like an easy way to organize alliance gatherings in our capital.

Edited by Cecci
  • Like 2

I ain't about the teleport life sadly, cool and well thought suggestion though.

Mmmm nope. I am all about enabling teleports within the game but not on this basis of exclusivity to "Alliances" only. Suggested materials required are extremely excessive as well. Even skills required are 1 inappropriate in the case of JS and 2 unnecessarily high SC.

Back to a more reasonable enabling of teleports is exactly on the same basis as the Epic teleports, making them easily available to all players who choose to build and then use them. I see this suggestion as so extreme in mats and creation requirements that it is just an overcompensation in difficulty as to make it seem appealing to the Developers sense of difficulty equals value. That is the wrong direction to go with regards to enabling teleports on a common basis to all players within the game.

=Ayes=

• Like 2

The idea is well presented, but personally I can't jump on the wagon with it.

I just can't see that any other server but Xanadu is big enough for such a request, and a "powerful" item like this should not be added only because of one server. After all, we choose to live on this huge island. Nobody forces us.

Additionally, any price you put on an item will eventually be cheap enough for every gawd damn deed to have it. Prices drop, people get richer :)

Instead of asking for more instant travel options, players should take the most out of what is available already. Priests. The day "summon soul" spell was announced, I said to myself "wow, that's a whole new service sector".

A server wide group or association of priests. Make a list with names, locations, map, usual gaming times. Set up some basic guidelines, agree on the price and conditions. There's our portal system!

That's what Wurm is all about. From players to players.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Shmeric said:

Instead of asking for more instant travel options, players should take the most out of what is available already. Priests. The day "summon soul" spell was announced, I said to myself "wow, that's a whole new service sector".

A server wide group or association of priests. Make a list with names, locations, map, usual gaming times. Set up some basic guidelines, agree on the price and conditions. There's our portal system!

I'd be on board with that :D

• Like 2

I have to agree that only Xanadu is so big that it is a long journey to get to the allies.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Finnn said:

Currently without 'anchor' teleport to return where you were summoned from.. only way to return back is to get a ride/sail home or borrow whatever means to get home safely, making simplest and fastest alternative to return home - teleporting with path/karma ability for these who could use that.

or like, you have your own priest that can summon soul back to your own deed?

there shouldn't be any form of teleporting, karma, summon soul or anything like that, you can see it in any other mmo, you introduce all these fast ways to get around and 95% of the map is unused because everyone travels to the best spots for quests/grinding/whatever and completely ignores the rest. what's the point of having a giant world if you just teleport from deed to deed

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

there shouldn't be any form of teleporting, karma, summon soul or anything like that, you can see it in any other mmo, you introduce all these fast ways to get around and 95% of the map is unused because everyone travels to the best spots for quests/grinding/whatever and completely ignores the rest. what's the point of having a giant world if you just teleport from deed to deed 

I've seen that in other MMOs, too, but I think 95% even as a ballpark estimation/facetious remark is exaggerated. More importantly, those are other MMOs where a map parts appeal is determined by the developers, while in Wurm is in the rare unique, or at least very rare, position where it is player driven. So I'd answer your question with "So that there's land for people to explore, hunt and build on if they wish so, not as a dull, overextended sightseeing tour when your current goal is something entirely different." Some form of commerce will still rely on roads being made through these lands aswell.

I'd further one up this with a counterquestion: What's the point of playing an MMO where directly interacting with other players possibly consumes so much time that it takes up a whole play session to travel alone?

That's just my 2 cent on "no teleport at all". I'm more on board with Shmeric on this, though starter town portals for Xanadu wouldn't be the worst thing. Either way, the comparison to other games is lacking to me as only being able to bring your inventory is a given in them, but when it comes to commerce, exchange and transportation of goods in Wurm, this is a severe limitation. If it wasn't, I'd fully agree with you that it shouldn't exist.

Meh.  So many people believe that fast travel means that people won't travel any more, people won't explore, people won't be as social (as if they are now, lol), people won't <insert some activity people want to force onto others here>.  I often wonder if those that believe that have actually experienced it in a Wurm game.  Using other games as an example is useless because, you know...different game and all that. 

Having experienced fast travel on the wu servers I've played on that have it in one form or another, I've found that the opposite is true.  Some have highway portals tied in to the highway system. Some have mark/recall runes like in UO, some have set portals in strategic locations, etc.  But the thing they all have in common is that they completely debunk the myth that fast travel would be harmful to Wurm.

People can gather & be sociable more easily so...they do. 

People can get to far sides of the map to explore or hunt, (and *gasp* able to get back home within their allotted play time on any given day), so...they do.  

People can easily get to markets, starter towns, and/or merchants on other people's out-of-the-way deeds so....they do. 

People can go help a friend or even a stranger who needs help, even if they're on the far side of the map, so....they do.

People can <insert any activity that people would like to do but usually can't/don't/won't in wo because they just don't have the time>......so they do.   lol

What I have seen is that people are so much more social, and I see more people out off their deeds doing various things, on the servers that have some form of fast travel than on the ones that do not and in wo.  Granted I've not played every wu server but these have been my observations on the ones I have played on. 

With all that said though, I don't like the idea of exclusivity being placed on travel as proposed in the OP.  It should be for all, even the unwashed masses.  lol

+1 for some sort of fast travel

-1 for placing any sort of exclusivity or roadblocks on it

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Amadee said:

People can get to far sides of the map to explore or hunt, (and *gasp* able to get back home within their allotted play time on any given day), so...they do. 

This. Long travel times generally mean I don't go at all, because it's difficult for me to commit to the sequential time required.

• Like 3

I think travelling in wurm as a "necessity" and as a major part of the games economy has long been lost due to the multiple bad features such as mailing, wagoneers, karma teleport etc. One more feature that goes against the wurm's mentality won't harm the already dead travelling aspect of the game.

+1 from me for that reason only. 

• Like 2

id still like carriages where it uses the highway system and you can pay for the ride somewhere. It would be ideal that you do not even have to stay logged in, but it will take time just like wagoneers. 

• Like 7

On 1/27/2019 at 6:07 AM, Shmeric said:

Offering teleports to north xanadu b16, you pay you hunt! Getting back home is your own problem! :D

Alright,

I pop into this game every few months after playing hardcore for about four years straight.

Each time I see more and more being slashed and cut away from the games core.

Karma teleport, server borders leading to anywhere, now you want to teleport to anything.

You understand a large portion of attraction to this game 'was' that it offered the sense of longing adventures and travel, I can't really fight anyone on it because the only people that are left playing are the ones that are loud enough to sway the opinion of the other twelve or so loud people, and eventually this will probably get added.

I really wish people would understand and take to heart the suggestions and feedback from people that have been around for ten years when they say "this just isn't wurm", and then fade away because they can't really care enough to flesh it out; and because I know for a fact you don't understand why it 'isn't wurm'.

Edited by Cornchips
  • Like 5

On 1/27/2019 at 5:29 AM, Gladiator said:

fast travel kills games -1

losing ships due to glitches on travels is a reason why some people have left. Poor cave collapsing on ship...

Guys, if u want to teleport around just play Skyrim for 10 hours, get bored of it and come back to Wurm. This isn't the place for that ######

• Like 7

Wurm is supposed to be a slow, yet rewarding game. Teleportation doesn't belong in it, and especially not permanent portals.

This would, as far as I'm concerned, make several bridges, tunnels, roads, ships pretty useless.

If travelling is such an issue, settle closer to others. That is what has happened on my server, where most folks are concentrated around the starter deed. Anyone who settles further away has to build roads and bridges, breed horses and equip them. If I could teleport, all that would be completely useless.

• Like 2

@Cornchips, teleport is not in the game and path ability to pop around the map at random places have been in the game for so long, nobody complained about that, have they(?), some even shared how exciting it is to travel and explore that way.(huh? interesting)

You can not blame the lowering player-base to something that isn't a thing, and there's already a trend that nobody have figured out, least that's you.. as you said you aren't even around much. You come and go and you have some idea what happens with the game? I doubt that. Plus pvp vs pve player-base huh.. HUGE difference in the numbers. Also nobody said this have to go to epic or chaos as content, no need to be salty.

I can also speculate the reasons for why some have left the game, but that's just derailing and have nothing to do with this suggestion.

@John maybe, but that have been broken with on demand favor summons some have several priests and can teleport you around the map all day long at the cost of few corns.

Not really.. it's to just teleport YOU alone.. no animal leading/carts/wagons/boats/*no heavy lifting*, that limits what you move around, making roads just as useful, you have to travel to hunt and get your loot back.. if you have to deliver horses or goods with wagoner - you'll still use the wagoner.

If your point is that character's inventory can be abused same can be done with priest summon, this is no different, you have to stretch a leg a bit more as sketchy priests can summon other alts around behind closed doors while "teleport stone/crystal/whatever" will be somewhat more public.

Settle around spawn town? Why be a care-bear when you can play your in own way and make use of the sandbox part, forge your play style. Have friends all over the map and interact with them more often, don't just make a small village circle of well known people and stick to that small community, expand the interactions, if travel time have stopped you before, this is a way to lift that limitation.

Priest network(taxi) commented above, it's unreliable(for me), we have ~small player base, and you are forced to keep track of who plays in what timezone, and what time frame, where the priest is at the moment when you need it, you have to interact with several people to get somewhat close to where you want to go... *madness*, is it not easier to make more use of your time and just go to that constant let's say D15 or whatever.. where a teleport stone could be and teleport to T11 where your friend/work-contract is? Just like that on demand you have your new path to get something done when you need it, no guessing, no reading schedules of priests, no PMs no nonsense, it's just a brand new way to travel when you have to be somewhere else.

As for hunting, you can travel the same way and borrow or buy/rent a horse for hunting.

If people like to spend 30-60-90-120 minutes on the roads instead of actually doing something else, well they can do that, but also can skip that when needed.

This is just more freedom IMO.

• Like 3

On 1/28/2019 at 2:31 AM, Wulfgarr said:

id still like carriages where it uses the highway system and you can pay for the ride somewhere. It would be ideal that you do not even have to stay logged in, but it will take time just like wagoneers. 

This. This is it. 

I like this suggestion because it gives you the option to snooze and move if you have to without the risk of being attacked or whatever else can happen out in the wild to an unprepared traveler. And a small monetary fee for transport based on location would be an ideal money sink. 

I also agree with @Amadeethere is not much 'socializing' happening outside of the GL and freedom chats and the average deed owner gets a bit antsy when they have random people around their place although some will welcome you with open arms. But the idea of "teleporting" around seems a bit iffy and too quick imo. I personally love the size of Xanadu because it reminds me of the real world... some of it is not even explored yet and those that dwell into the wild take some risk. The teleporting would indeed help those more casual players getting around but at the same time it would eliminate a big potion of the "survival" aspect of the game when you can safely travel anywhere without even risking anything.

I'm reminded of the Lloyd's Beacon spell from Might & Magic 6:

Lloyd's Beacon lets you place a marker at a location you want to teleport back to in the future. Just how far in the future depends on your skill and ranking in Water Magic. Cast this spell whenever you wish to either place a marker or return to one.
Normal: 1 Beacon, decays in 1 hour per point of skill
Expert: 3 Beacons, decays in 1 day per point of skill
Master: 5 Beacons, decays in 1 week per point of skill

7 hours ago, Finnn said:

If people like to spend 30-60-90-120 minutes on the roads instead of actually doing something else, well they can do that, but also can skip that when needed.

This is only true for one server in Wurm. One large, laggy, mountainous server where people willingly choose to live. Those people can also move to smaller server and reduce their travel times from 120 to 20 minutes to any corner of the map. 

The quoted argument is really weak in any case. "Hey, give us magic wands so we can make 10k bricks in a second and those who want to do it the old way, can still spend days and weeks on it".

• Like 3