Sign in to follow this  
Malena

24-hour lighting OPTION for deed owners

With the new rendering engine, we got a true difference of shadow and sunshine. Nice dark deep shadows contrasted with bright sunny areas. I LOVE IT.

However there is one problem, which is that any area that happens to be on the eastern side of a large mountain is in the shadow of that mountain for most of the day and it's so dark and dismal. 

So how to fix this without ruining the new rendering engine look? A 24-hour lighting OPTION for lamps on deed. Obviously the default setting would still be 12h, so it wouldn't change life for anyone who doesn't want to use it.

Any lamp on deed would have a new option in it's context menu to select either 12 hr lighting or 24 hr lighting. Why like this, instead of a global setting in deed preferences? Because you might not want all your lamps to do this. 

During my stream I was showing people what I meant: 

Edited by Malena
  • Like 10

+1 . I want to add that such option should be available for both blessed and ondeed lamps.

• Like 1

-1.  Lamps should only stay on 24 hours that are both on-deed and indoors.

3 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

-1.  Lamps should only stay on 24 hours that are both on-deed and indoors.

As I said in my suggestion, this is to propose an OPTION to turn them on for 24 if you want. Obviously the default would still stay at 12h. 

So my question to you, is how would this OPTION hurt you in any way? 

For me, it kind of hurts my game experience if I can't see anything. 

• Like 1

+1

I would love this as an option.  Being in the shadow of a mountain all the time just sucks now.  It can be downright gloomy.  Would be nice for indoor lamps as well.  In most cases you can see better indoors at night than during the day.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Malena said:

As I said in my suggestion, this is to propose an OPTION to turn them on for 24 if you want. Obviously the default would still stay at 12h. 

So my question to you, is how would this OPTION hurt you in any way? 

For me, it kind of hurts my game experience if I can't see anything. 

Okay, can I... the person sailing by that doesn't care about your Christmas lights, turn them off?  Then no :)

\

Just now, Wargasm said:

Okay, can I... the person sailing by that doesn't care about your Christmas lights, turn them off?  Then no :)

\

limit dynamic lighting to 1

boom they're turned off

• Like 3

I agree that shadowed areas during the day could use some lighting, but sunlight is generally so bright that in a lot of cases, the lamps would mean you'll have a blinding-white area there, if that place just happens to not be in a shadow that moment - and most places aren't in the shadow the whole day.

Spoiler

qqLT6I8.jpg

We'll be allowing permanently turned on lamps with the introduction of HDR rendering (soon), which will allow us to have a lot of light sources overlapping without the nuclear meltdown effect.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Samool said:

introduction of HDR rendering (soon), which will allow us to have a lot of light sources overlapping without the nuclear meltdown effect.

That is awesome looking forward for that!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Samool said:

I agree that shadowed areas during the day could use some lighting, but sunlight is generally so bright that in a lot of cases, the lamps would mean you'll have a blinding-white area there, if that place just happens to not be in a shadow that moment - and most places aren't in the shadow the whole day.

https://i.imgur.com/qqLT6I8.jpg

We'll be allowing permanently turned on lamps with the introduction of HDR rendering (soon), which will allow us to have a lot of light sources overlapping without the nuclear meltdown effect.

I think you are mistaken samool thats when the "sun" was rising

7dc1lqc.jpg

• Like 1

Now I understand why your forum avatar wears sunglasses.

*sigh*  The things these kids do on my deed when I'm asleep.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wargasm said:

\

Who has higher priority?

Person #1: Happens to sail by a deed that has it's lights on. Is not being forced to look at this deed.

Person #2: Has their deed on the eastern side of a mountain. Lives in darkness for the majority of the day. Spends most of their gameplay time on their deed, building, crafting, farming. Is technically hindered by their game play experience because they cannot see properly.

This is how it looks when lights are on during the daytime. I'm struggling to see the "Christmas lights" effect you speak of.

lighting.jpg

1 minute ago, Malena said:

This is how it looks when lights are on during the daytime. I'm struggling to see the "Christmas lights" effect you speak of.

Sail by Glasshollow.  Nuff said.

10 minutes ago, Samool said:

https://i.imgur.com/qqLT6I8.jpg

Samool I appreciate you chiming into this conversation, but I also struggle to see what you mean. 

In Wurm Unlimited where you can turn the time of day on in god mode, this is what it looks like during daytime with the lights on. This has nothing to do with the image you linked.

lighting2.jpg

I think what he means is large shaded areas, such as the side of a mountain.  (A steep mountain).

The Wurmian sun rises in the SW and sets in the NW (if I remember correctly) so you could be in darkness in broad daylight on the east side of large structures and terraformations.

Just now, Wargasm said:

I think what he means is large shaded areas, such as the side of a mountain.  (A steep mountain).

The Wurmian sun rises in the SW and sets in the NW (if I remember correctly) so you could be in darkness in broad daylight on the east side of large structures and terraformations.

Well if you look at the video I posted in my original post, that's exactly the issue here. My horse pens are in complete darkness because they are to the east of a mountain. And as you can see from the post above, it does not look like "christmas lights" when the lights are turned on during the daytime. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Malena said:

Samool I appreciate you chiming into this conversation, but I also struggle to see what you mean. 

In Wurm Unlimited where you can turn the time of day on in god mode, this is what it looks like during daytime with the lights on. This has nothing to do with the image you linked.

lighting2.jpg

make them brass ql 90's with different colors and you kinda get a disco effect  its quite nice and neat

look at the bottom of the nearest lamp the terrain is already way lighter now certain area's like glasshollow would become radiated suns like the pictures posted but proper placement of lamps would be nice but thats the thing proper placement

here is an example of what 20 light sources in a small area do(the one i posted up before and the one samool posted where in the hundreds  https://i.imgur.com/7mnF2mh.jpg

now currently in normal wurm this is how my dock looks like at night https://i.imgur.com/nX7Owoi.jpg https://i.imgur.com/gdtf8wH.jpg https://i.imgur.com/cOLyoYb.jpg
as you can see from those pictures proper placement is key but a lot of people will make beacons like i have at my dock and if they are on 24/7 well that could be quite bad

But once the new system samool is talking about is in then having that option will be nice if it doesnt cause a disco/sun effect anymore

And if it is an option for individual lamps, we could simply pick and choose which ones to have on all the time or left on the default 12 hr. 

• Like 2

Just now, Amadee said:

And if it is an option for individual lamps, we could simply pick and choose which ones to have on all the time or left on the default 12 hr. 

Now here's a good idea.  Similar to caring for animals, allow us to control individually which ones stay lit 24 hours a day.  And impose a restriction of like 1 lamp per X tiles, like a creature ratio.... because Christmas lights...

• Like 1

Spoiler

QaVV7Ue.jpg

That's how a sand tile looks with the sun at noon, a 70ql lamp on the ground, and a lantern in my inventory. Lamps tend to overlap a lot in some deed designs too, mostly the ones that were made before the modern renderer (so you could only see 8 lights at once). I'd like to avoid having too many situations like this, even if it's an issue already.

1 minute ago, moonpie said:

now currently in normal wurm this is how my dock looks like at night https://i.imgur.com/nX7Owoi.jpg https://i.imgur.com/gdtf8wH.jpg https://i.imgur.com/cOLyoYb.jpg
as you can see from those pictures proper placement is key but a lot of people will make beacons like i have at my dock and if they are on 24/7 well that could be quite bad

That's the problem, people can make the game look terrible with a couple dozen braziers on one tile and it's a lot worse during the day.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, moonpie said:

But once the new system samool is talking about is in then having that option will be nice if it doesnt cause a disco/sun effect anymore

Believe me, I have all the sympathy in the world for you folks out there who are dealing with the broken super glowy lamps. And it's awesome! It's great! It's wonderful! It's lovely! It's super that the wurm team are working on a fix for that.

Please explain to me how that solves any issues for the original issue that we're talking about: Being in the darkness.

To me, these are two completely different and separate issues.  

xDuImIT.gif

Messing with the lighting affects everyone, not just deed owners. I do want to do this, just once it won't have any downsides.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Malena said:

Please explain to me how that solves any issues for the original issue that we're talking about: Being in the darkness.

To me, these are two completely different and separate issues.  

If I understood Samool correctly, the devs are not against 24hr lighting, but want to wait with the implementation until HDR rendering is implemented in Wurm. That would mean he does not say no, but not yet, sorry, but soon.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Samool said:

xDuImIT.gif

Messing with the lighting affects everyone, not just deed owners. I do want to do this, just once it won't have any downsides.

Thank you Samool ❤️  For some reason, I didn't notice this part in your first post: 

"We'll be allowing permanently turned on lamps with the introduction of HDR rendering"

I think I missed that part because I got a bit worked up and frustrated because I felt that the thread was going completely onto the wrong track and taking focus away from the actual issue we "darkness dwellers" are dealing with. It felt like the focus was being shifted onto "christmas lights" and the overly glowy lamps. Which sure, is also a bad issue in the game! But still a different one! 

So now that I've got all my marbles again, I'm very very happy to hear that this option will be coming as part and parcel of the HDR rendering light fix. Do you guys have any plan on how that will be implemented?

• As an option in the graphics settings
  • As an option in the settlement settings
  • Or so you could set that for individual lamps

I dearly hope that it's the last option, because I for one would not want the lights turned on permanently in all parts of my island. Only those which are in the shadow of the mountain and also indoors as Amadee mentioned. For now I'm "solving" the indoor daytime darkness by replacing all my indoor lamps with candelabras. But they just don't feel right for outdoors.

Edited by Malena
  • Like 2