Sign in to follow this  
Ekcin

Improve journal's backtracking abilities

I know that this may be not that easy to implement, and I have no idea how hard. But at the moment hundreds of long term players are creating small and large carts, build a house, a 2 story one, a guard tower etc, many of them have done a number, often a large number of times. At the end of the day the lands of Wurm will be littered with other fleets of slowly rotting carts etc. , the guard towers being of some use at least. 

The journal seems to have taken in account a few previously accomplished tasks, but with most even veteran players are treated like completely new beginners. There should be a way to prevent that, at least in a longer perspective. Mind that there are thousands of recently inactive accounts, a considerable part thereof logging in here and then. It would not be great to turn all Wurm into a cart parking lot. I do not even think of if same will happen with all kinds of ships.

• Like 1

Unfortunately this isn't possible due to how it tracks them. 

Just like personal goals, each item is a specific achievement, with adding new goals we've had to add achievements tracking things that weren't previously tracked. We have zero way to track any player building a cart before or anything else. 

Some are tracked because they had existing achievements, but for the new ones they'll all need to be done again. 

• Like 1

For the carts / etc a one-time database sweep checking the sig on the specific items could do it - but I suppose it is not an easy task either :S

We would better have a way to easily destroy unneeded carts we own (I know, I know, lava -but my horses die on it if they clip outside after entering a mine).

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

Also about priest journal. Why priest with 100 faith wants keep 100 sermon? I assume all priest with 100 faith already kept 100 sermon to achieve 100 faith.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, monsterix said:

Also about priest journal. Why priest with 100 faith wants keep 100 sermon? I assume all priest with 100 faith already kept 100 sermon to achieve 100 faith.

Can confirm.

Just going to keep sermoning my housemate till she dies from religion overdose now XD

-1 to this though, yes it is a pain in the ass, but at least it is someting to do.  70 prayer is my bugbear on the list...

7 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

Can confirm.

Just going to keep sermoning my housemate till she dies from religion overdose now XD

-1 to this though, yes it is a pain in the ass, but at least it is someting to do.  70 prayer is my bugbear on the list...

Yes i can agree on that 70 prayer skill is pain in the ass.

Good points made Ekcin. Maybe one thing that would help with the excess of these unneeded items created would be to add the ability for the creator or owner of them to click and choose an option like "Demolish" which would instantly destroy them. Regardless, this would be a good option to have anyway.

As for Guard Towers, there are really not a lot of spots left to build them on smaller servers such as Deliverance. I have probably built 10+ of them over the years with my various characters and to now need to wander into the wilderness with my main guy to search for a spot to build one just to complete this "goal" once again makes little sense. No doubt I will not even waste my time building another one I have no use for.

I know on some WU servers once a Guard Tower is completed a GM will come out and check it to see for payment to be made. Maybe something of this sort could be done in WO since all Guard Towers will have the creators name on them, so it is easily confirmed by that.

=Ayes=

I note that the "participate in 10 missions" goal doesn't appear to be checking the Epic mission achievements that already exist.

EDIT:

Specifically, the "Epic Finalizer" achievement. I've got toons with well more than 10+ of those; would be very nice if they counted.

Edited by Roccandil

+1

I'm sure there are some good backtracking workarounds for many of the goals, especially some of the priest ones. I can see why devs wouldn't waste time on workarounds for goals that can easily be completed, but in the case of the extremely difficult ones, every effort should be made to give credit for prior completion.

Regarding the Cast a Global Spell goal, for example, even if there are no server-side traces, why not just use Niarja's record? It really irks me that I haven't got credit for the two global casts I've already done.

Credit for the Hold 10/100 Sermons goal and the Receive X through Prayer goals could be applied retroactively by making statistical assumptions based on current faith and prayer skill. If a player has 100 faith, they've definitely held over 100 sermons, so give them credit for that goal. If a player has, say, 60 prayer skill, it can be safely assumed they've already received 100 gems through prayer. These numbers are just for the sake of simplicity; let someone with insight into the formulae involved determine the exact thresholds.

The lack of retroactive credit feels like a slap in the face to players who already completed these goals before the journal roll-out. Please change it.

You know, as much as I'd love to agree with the people screaming for retroactive credit on journals..... I can't do it.   This is the first taste of new players being on the same page as people that have been playing for years, and it is laughable how quickly people complain.

All the talk I've seen on the forums about new players never catching up to the accomplishments of veteran players.... now they can :)

1 hour ago, Wargasm said:

You know, as much as I'd love to agree with the people screaming for retroactive credit on journals..... I can't do it.   This is the first taste of new players being on the same page as people that have been playing for years, and it is laughable how quickly people complain.

All the talk I've seen on the forums about new players never catching up to the accomplishments of veteran players.... now they can

This guy screaming has been playing for 2 years. Said priest achievements were completed in only in the last few months, i.e. just before journal was rolled out. Hope that contextualizes things a bit for you.

And sorry (not sorry), but denying one group their achievements is a really poor way to create equity. I'm all for levelling the playing field somewhat in favour of newer players, but you do that by giving them a leg up, not by stomping down the older players.

Edited by Gwyn
Added second paragraph