Sign in to follow this  
Jaz

Sindusk is missing badly, get him back!

While Sindusk's departure from the Wurm dev team is terrible, at least with his resignation many problems that are behind the scenes have been brought to light. Instead of berating the Wurm dev team's poor leadership, we should be encouraging change that will better the game we all know and love. Calls for protest and boycott will do nothing but hurt the game more. Hopefully no one here wants to see the dev team (and Wurm as a whole) fail. We need to encourage the restructuring of said policies so that the next volunteer developer will stay with the team and further the game.

Edited by Lei
  • Like 2

I mean, Sindusk does have a outdated Wurm Unlimited Server that I am sure if updated, would be a great place to play.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Sindusk resigned, issues and dramas aside, it's been 24 hours, I don't think the games missing anyone just yet

Sindusk had a vision of improving the game, and he was willing to take risks to frankly communicate with the playerbase, in a way no one else was (at least, not since I've been here).

As such, he represented a kind of synergy between players and developers to work together to improve Wurm.

-That's- what's missing.

• Like 13

22 minutes ago, necroe said:

Losing a good staff member always hurts, look what happened when we lost @RedBaron_Johan

Yeah but this situation is totally different.

We lost him because of the same inane policy and secrecy that have been the frustration of the vast majority of players for a long time now. Seeing it being a contributing factor to the loss of a dev in my opinion deserves the criticism and pain.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FranktheTank said:

I mean, Sindusk does have a outdated Wurm Unlimited Server that I am sure if updated, would be a great place to play.

Will he make Wurm great again?

Respect for @Sindusk aside. @Samoolis hero of Wurm for me!

Anyway from what I could conclude from hearing both sides, while I agree with lot of Sindusks points about communication. His openess towards playerbase and energy he invested to not just implement everything but also take time to respond often on forum was so refreshing for me as a player and I hope at least influenced the rest of the team to improve on that area. It was something that sparkled my hope for wurm a lot. On the other side while I don't think highly of the attitude most stuff is currently having I do agree with some their points also to some degree.

Honestly, it looks to me that more effort could be put to this that both side find common tounge for the sake of Wurm, and that means comprises on both sides. But hey, time will tell.

Currently seems that everyone including players are slightly overreacting.

• Like 5

Don't get me wrong, I'm not only sure but know from first hand experience that the Wurm dev team is dedicated and working hard to keep Wurm going and improving which I can only thank heartfully. The big difference Sindusk meant is that he made me the simple regular player see that things (and areas that seemed to be at the bottom of the todo list) have great momentum in the secret halls of development. We really need more details and visibility - even for planned features regardless if they may get dropped later on the road. Nothing wrong with that it is how creative work progresses.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kochinac said:

Currently seems that everyone including players are slightly overreacting.

Yup. Quite possible due to lack of information here again. That can always support murmurs, gossips, false assumptions etcetc.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, necroe said:

Losing a good staff member always hurts, look what happened when we lost @RedBaron_Johan

This seems to be a definition of 'good' I'm unfamiliar with.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Sindusk was not the only one working on the projects he talked about, he was not the only one to do the work on the priest overhaul too, while his willingness to tackle big projects was extremely handy, he was not the sole developer on these projects. 

I think the focus on Sindusk as the herald of these features overlooks the hard work done by Ausimus and Darklords, who spent considerable time working on it as well, including before Sindusk joined the team. Their work continues and we will all continue to work as a team to provide content and updates 

Steve Jobs was not the only guy working at Apple.. what's your point ?

Edit: What everyone is trying to get to is that this guy showed us the light at the end of the tunnel, he showed us that old bugs can be fixed, new complicated systems can be reworked.. it's not only about what he worked on but his attitude as a whole that gave everyone hope that this game will get better. Then we see him leave for a lot of weird reasons that probably only you guys know.. Of course we want him back.. we had a glance into a different way of implementing stuff and communicating with the player base that I personally haven't seen in the 4 years I've been playing this game. Nobody is trying to denigrate the work of the other devs in any way though..

Edited by faty
explanation
  • Like 10

18 minutes ago, faty said:

Steve Jobs was not the only guy working at Apple.. what's your point ?

Edit: What everyone is trying to get to is that this guy showed us the light at the end of the tunnel, he showed us that old bugs can be fixed, new complicated systems can be reworked.. it's not only about what he worked on but his attitude as a whole that gave everyone hope that this game will get better. Then we see him leave for a lot of weird reasons that probably only you guys know.. Of course we want him back.. we had a glance into a different way of implementing stuff and communicating with the player base that I personally haven't seen in the 4 years I've been playing this game. Nobody is trying to denigrate the work of the other devs in any way though..

tenor.gif?itemid=5515605

Ever since Sindusk left I haven't been able to log in once... ?

1 minute ago, Huntar said:

Ever since Sindusk left I haven't been able to log in once... ?

Me neither, but i think it's for different reasons

• Like 6

6 hours ago, kochinac said:

Anyway from what I could conclude from hearing both sides, while I agree with lot of Sindusks points about communication. His openess towards playerbase and energy he invested to not just implement everything but also take time to respond often on forum was so refreshing for me as a player and I hope at least influenced the rest of the team to improve on that area. It was something that sparkled my hope for wurm a lot. 

I think this is what most of us that posted in this thread are already "missing".

The communication about future features, the willingness to talk about them and the openness was amazing.

I personally hope that trend continues even without Sindusk.

edit: typo

Edited by SethDark
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Lei said:

While Sindusk's departure from the Wurm dev team is terrible, at least with his resignation many problems that are behind the scenes have been brought to light. Instead of berating the Wurm dev team's poor leadership, we should be encouraging change that will better the game we all know and love. Calls for protest and boycott will do nothing but hurt the game more. Hopefully no one here wants to see the dev team (and Wurm as a whole) fail. We need to encourage the restructuring of said policies so that the next volunteer developer will stay with the team and further the game.

It needed to happen, this has gone on for so long in Wurm without any form of confirmation, just rumors and theories. But now that the community has actual confirmation of said-rumors and theories on while things are so slow, mismanaged, and down right incompetence, and not from just your average player but from someone who had worked so closely beside staff for months, people feel more compelled than ever to believe and speak out about the state of staff and the mismanagement of the game as a whole.

I'm sad it took this long, but this is literally a necessary for people to open their eyes to what the so called 'doomsayers' have been speaking of for years.

Edited by Huntar
  • Like 1

Sindusk has left. His real reasons are probably known only to himself and a few select others. We should celebrate everything that he did to improve and maintain our game but then perhaps look forward to welcoming another staff member who may well be just as good.

Life must go on as it always does.

Thank you Sindusk.

• Like 2

I agree Sindusk makes a good whistleblower, telling us what most of us already expected.

Still Sindusk would have made an even better Wurm Developer over the long run, good volunteers are very hard to find and even harder to keep. You need a positive attitude and a lot of skills in inspirational leadership to keep the best of the best and for sure Sindusk is one of those 1% of people who have an idea and know how to code. Learning how to code is a matter time but you can't learn to know what to do, you have to live that and turn your mind in that direction you want to aim to. Talent, happiness, satisfaction, inspiration and a clear vision that is what someone with his knowledge needs. It is not hard to guess for me that you can't find any of those requirements within Wurm, which is sad, times have differently. Back in the days I pulled so much inspiration and satisfaction out of the game and it's team, giving me a clear vision about what and who I want to be, a Java developer. I wouldn't be where I am without Wurm Online and the people behind it, people like Zcul, Wollschaf, Wossoo, Cryptik, Darkfilo, Tich, Mrbloodworth, inspired me with how they managed to find a good balance between playing with a player and being a part of the staff team, they were friends and leaders. Their ideas were mindblowing, they had such a clear vision about what the game should be, it was great to see them working. But all of them are gone and I don't feel that anybody in the lead team is left who has this certain thing, it is hard to describe, which inspires me and other people. I am missing the sparkle in the eyes, which both sides had in the past. Wherever harder critism appears or something is not following the straight often unwritten rules people are talked down, people are banned, people are forum warned. In general a very negative attitude is sent out by the lead staff members.

In the end it is a problem of inspirational leadership, they have to become inspiring and great leaders again before all the madness in the community will stop. There will be even harder problems if things are not going to change. I also have learnt that on my server the hard way, but since then I atteneded a lot seminars about inspriational leadership and other softskills and it paid out.

Never forget:

People join companies but leave managers!

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/employees-dont-leave-companies-managers-brigette-hyacinth

https://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/careers/behavioural_competencies/mg_inspirational_leadership.html

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Huntar said:

I'm sad it took this long, but this is literally a necessary for people to open their eyes to what the so called 'doomsayers' have been speaking of for years.

Hey that's me.

27 minutes ago, Spolmit said:

Sindusk has left. His real reasons are probably known only to himself and a few select others. We should celebrate everything that he did to improve and maintain our game but then perhaps look forward to welcoming another staff member who may well be just as good.

Life must go on as it always does.

Thank you Sindusk.

I can safely assure you those are his real reasons.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Sindusk was not the only one working on the projects he talked about, he was not the only one to do the work on the priest overhaul too, while his willingness to tackle big projects was extremely handy, he was not the sole developer on these projects. 

I think the focus on Sindusk as the herald of these features overlooks the hard work done by Ausimus and Darklords, who spent considerable time working on it as well, including before Sindusk joined the team. Their work continues and we will all continue to work as a team to provide content and updates 

That's the effect of a Staff member who engages with players when the players are used to brick walls. He becomes the shining example, even if others are working silently in the background. Sure this will blow over for the most part eventually, but it will forever be a black spot for as long as people are around to remember it. 

"Do you remember when that Sindusk guy came around and actually listened to us?"

It's a really powerful psychological effect. I only ever tried to engage with Sindusk once, and you at the same time, and you both snubbed me. Yet I still feel like I've personally lost something. Weird. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wonka said:

This seems to be a definition of 'good' I'm unfamiliar with.

I am not sure what you are getting at, suggesting Red Baron was not good. I have been here since 2011 and I happen to think Red Baron was one of the best, most open and approachable staff members we ever had on the team.  I very very often get the feeling that the dev team "as a whole" thinks rather poorly of their player base, and does a GREAT deal of eye rolling "behind the scenes". Red Baron was one of the few who always treated the entire playerbase with an overwhelming amount of courtesy, respect and sheer openness.  

PS:  Alectrys is another member of the team who I think goes over and beyond in courtesy and professionalism. Every single interaction I have ever has with her over the years has been an absolute delight.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 10

Given that he nerfed fo priests and didn't give us the nice version of "cleanse" we needed?

He was still the only dev with the guts to take on the priest update, that was a massive undertaking.  Even though, magically speaking, Fo priests are worse off, we're still much better off in QoL and playability.

Sindusk engaged with the community, and took the time to respond to feedback.  You don't see that often in game devs.

He'll be missed, I'll brew a barrel of wine in his memory, a barrel I can now make myself thanks to his changes!

• Like 1