Sign in to follow this  
Gumbo

Deed Discount Request

Hi, 

With the opening of the new Haven spawn point, will Wurm staff be offering any compensation to the people who have spent their time, money, and playstyle, to help new players get started? Now that players don't naturally spawn at the Howl like they used to, you've not only reduced the importance of Freedom Market and other newb friendly deeds around there, but also disrupted an established recruitment system in that area. For years some wonderful players have done so much to help the Wurm community grow (actually, not die), and with the move of the dedicated spawn point, you've pretty much slapped them in the face. I request a 50% reduction in upkeep cost for my deed called Dragon Fang Market, as well as any other deeds in the area that actively helped get new players started on their Wurm adventure.  Those deeds/players are the ones who helped Wurm an incredible amount. Now that Wurm has devastated the incentive of the very people who were helping bring new players into the game, I feel the 50% deed reduction compensation is justified.

Thank you.

• Like 2

There is no mechanic to do a deed reduction.

Players can still teleport to The Howl as they did before from Golden Valley.

Not my place to deny your request, but mechanically speaking, it's on shaky ground.

Thank you for your response.  Perhaps you could let me know whose "place" it would be to grant such a thing.

Yes, players can still teleport to the Howl. That is not the same as actually spawning there, as you know. Plenty of people in the Freedom Market area did so much to help new players, that I hope this situation will be looked into and their hard work rewarded.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Gumbo said:

Thank you for your response.  Perhaps you could let me know whose "place" it would be to grant such a thing.

Yes, players can still teleport to the Howl. That is not the same as actually spawning there, as you know. Plenty of people in the Freedom Market area did so much to help new players, that I hope this situation will be looked into and their hard work rewarded.

Players have spawned on Golden Valley for quite a long time. Like before, the option to travel to any server is available to them. The only difference now is that they can have a more smooth experience getting used to the Wurm Online way of life before traveling out to meet other players. Other players are encouraged to greet new players.

• Like 1

So whose place is it to make these types of decisions?

Once the deed reduction is done...please remove all players that were helped in the old system because..they clearly were not the real reason help was made available.

Fair is fair.

...also...now that it is easier for new players to learn the game...I think a refund of all the time it actually took me, versus the time it would take me now...to learn about Wurm should be reimbursed.  A conversion of time to coffee, or time to chocolate would be acceptable of course.

Thanks for your...time.

Edited by saraie
  • Like 11

3 hours ago, Gumbo said:

Hi, 

With the opening of the new Haven spawn point, will Wurm staff be offering any compensation to the people who have spent their time, money, and playstyle, to help new players get started? Now that players don't naturally spawn at the Howl like they used to, you've not only reduced the importance of Freedom Market and other newb friendly deeds around there, but also disrupted an established recruitment system in that area. For years some wonderful players have done so much to help the Wurm community grow (actually, not die), and with the move of the dedicated spawn point, you've pretty much slapped them in the face. I request a 50% reduction in upkeep cost for my deed called Dragon Fang Market, as well as any other deeds in the area that actively helped get new players started on their Wurm adventure.  Those deeds/players are the ones who helped Wurm an incredible amount. Now that Wurm has devastated the incentive of the very people who were helping bring new players into the game, I feel the 50% deed reduction compensation is justified.

Thank you.

I think the first thing you should do if you want to help new players, is lower your merchant prices especially those on enchanted swords. Most of us from Independence will never forget the amount of silver we put in your overpriced shops as new players, just because the cheaper alternatives didn't have a privileged position on the map and you never gave us a fast enough horse to reach the cheaper alternatives. And let's not discuss about the fact that this topic should be in the suggestions board instead of the privileged general discussion.

Gumbo Enterprises: Privileged on the map, privileged on the boards.

So yea, first put discounts on your shops, then you get a +1 from me on a discount on your deeds. Till then:

Edited by Lordbeerus
  • Like 8

I dont think anything has changed. Like said above, characters haven't spawned on The Howl for quite some time. They spawned in Golden Valley. Also you can just move your deed like any other player has done so many times in the past. If your only reason is to be the first person to overcharge someone right out of the Howl, then I guess your well dried up. Such is business. You made enough money over  the years with your high prices. Take your reimbursement out of your own profits man, and stop acting entitled. 

This is not the Gumbo I know.

• Like 3

I find this to be a pretty audacious request and not in the positive sense of the word. Yes it is very nice that you have helped some players in the past by having your deed close to the spawn point of the Howl. I remember also how your huge Xanadu deed was right up against Samling's perimeter, with I suppose your intent to help new players there too. Now I noticed that you are involved in another new market deed just down the hill from Haven's Landing along the lake shore. I am sure this will help some new players too in some respects if you make yourself available to them.

Helping players new to the game is a great thing to do. Many people do it for various reasons but to expect to be compensated for it in terms of RL money equivalents as you propose seems to me to diminish the intent that you have done all this out of the kindness of your heart for those poor lost newbie souls. Yes they do need some help and guidance from time to time which will have a positive effect on their enjoyment of the game but is that not its own reward in seeing them prosper and even then having a positive impression of you. I am disappointed that you seem not to see this as the case as your suggestion has a sense of entitlement to it.

You have a new market deed to work on now close to the new spawn point of Haven's Landing. I hope you enjoy your opportunities there. Some will appreciate you for it, some will not but I think this suggestion just puts your motivations in a bad light. Perhaps just make the best of what you have now and a few new players and friends will be made along the way.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Let's be clear: The new market CLUB Markets, Crystal Lake's Utmost Buys, is MY market. Gumbo is helping me, as are several people. The reason I opened a market there is I ran horses to new players enough that it made sense to open a market there, where they could serve themselves.

Dev's wanted development in the area, they're getting development. There will be a wide range of tools, animals and bulk supplies available, not just Gumbo's. It will just make it easier for those new players to get them. And we're not the only market in the area. Nobody bitched when Glasshollow guys moved in the day it opened. Nobody has said a word about the other market between Haven and us. Give it a break. If you don't find the market to your liking talk to ME. I"m always open to suggestions.

*edited* 

Yea, I'm mad. I can't believe some of you are calling out Gumbo for "being greedy" when I've seen the very same behavior from many. He's also done a ton to help new players, myself included, when I was new. And yes, spending time and money to develop a market deed in a "desirable" location TWICE, and having it pulled out from you would be frustrating. I know I've spend quite a bit on the new market, and have had a ton of support, both time and materials, from my alliance. I can't imagine doing it all alone. This is a group effort. I can't imagine how frustrated I'd be if I had a huge deed plus the market in an area that was prime, only to have the rug pulled out from under me a second time..

Edited by ChampagneDragon
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, saraie said:

Once the deed reduction is done...please remove all players that were helped in the old system because..they clearly were not the real reason help was made available.

Fair is fair.

Please start your own thread with your requests instead of trolling here. Thank you

5 hours ago, saraie said:

...also...now that it is easier for new players to learn the game...I think a refund of all the time it actually took me, versus the time it would take me now...to learn about Wurm should be reimbursed.  A conversion of time to coffee, or time to chocolate would be acceptable of course.

Thanks for your...time.

Please start your own thread with your requests instead of trolling here. Thank you

5 hours ago, Lordbeerus said:

I think the first thing you should do if you want to help new players, is lower your merchant prices especially those on enchanted swords. Most of us from Independence will never forget the amount of silver we put in your overpriced shops as new players, just because the cheaper alternatives didn't have a privileged position on the map and you never gave us a fast enough horse to reach the cheaper alternatives. And let's not discuss about the fact that this topic should be in the suggestions board instead of the privileged general discussion.

Gumbo Enterprises: Privileged on the map, privileged on the boards.

So yea, first put discounts on your shops, then you get a +1 from me on a discount on your deeds. Till then:

If you wish to complain about pricing, please start your own thread and whine there. Thank you

4 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

I dont think anything has changed. Like said above, characters haven't spawned on The Howl for quite some time. They spawned in Golden Valley. Also you can just move your deed like any other player has done so many times in the past. If your only reason is to be the first person to overcharge someone right out of the Howl, then I guess your well dried up. Such is business. You made enough money over  the years with your high prices. Take your reimbursement out of your own profits man, and stop acting entitled. 

This is not the Gumbo I know.

I've already move my deed twice now and I'm tired of the devs here manipulating our world in such a way. I've torn up roots once and deeded by Samling, they moved that. I torn up roots a second time and moved to the FM area. They have now moved that.  This type of BS game manipulation needs to stop.  It's not about money and I resent you saying so. 

I quote the very first line people are introduced to when they get to the Wurm site.  "Wurm Online is the MMORPG where the players are in charge!"  -  Well guess what? I'm a player, and I'm in charge.  I'm tired of devs influencing our world in a way that negatively impacts not only mine, but many other players game styles.  It's time they compensate for negative actions against their customers, you know the ones who are in charge.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ayes said:

I find this to be a pretty audacious request and not in the positive sense of the word. Yes it is very nice that you have helped some players in the past by having your deed close to the spawn point of the Howl. I remember also how your huge Xanadu deed was right up against Samling's perimeter, with I suppose your intent to help new players there too. Now I noticed that you are involved in another new market deed just down the hill from Haven's Landing along the lake shore. I am sure this will help some new players too in some respects if you make yourself available to them.

Helping players new to the game is a great thing to do. Many people do it for various reasons but to expect to be compensated for it in terms of RL money equivalents as you propose seems to me to diminish the intent that you have done all this out of the kindness of your heart for those poor lost newbie souls. Yes they do need some help and guidance from time to time which will have a positive effect on their enjoyment of the game but is that not its own reward in seeing them prosper and even then having a positive impression of you. I am disappointed that you seem not to see this as the case as your suggestion has a sense of entitlement to it.

You have a new market deed to work on now close to the new spawn point of Haven's Landing. I hope you enjoy your opportunities there. Some will appreciate you for it, some will not but I think this suggestion just puts your motivations in a bad light. Perhaps just make the best of what you have now and a few new players and friends will be made along the way.

=Ayes=

This I just quoted, but didn't read. As with all your posts.

• Like 1

It's been pretty obvious from the comments stated above, this whole "movement" you claim to be helping noobs has been for pure profit so I don't see why any changes should keep on benefiting you. Just sounds like a grumpy merchant that is no longer in the middle of the money and knows they are going to take heavy losses due to not being able to take advantage of less educated players. Kinda like what Poohallow has been doing by placing a market next to every other market. We all make bad investments, things change and new things arrive, I don't understand why you personally believe that future updates need to be run by you at all. Truly hope you find resolve and move on, and expect the world around you to change without giving you warnings. 

• Like 2

Demanding monetary compensation for the devs making a huge improvement to the game? Wow

There is no reason to be so up in arms over this change as it makes it much easier for a new player to get into and enjoy the game. You should be glad, as it makes it so you don't have to devote more of your time helping them. However, since you are so up in arms, i'm lead to believe that you were simply into it for the chance to make a quick buck off of unknowing players, as others have already commented. 

Shame.

17 minutes ago, Legios said:

It's been pretty obvious from the comments stated above, this whole "movement" you claim to be helping noobs has been for pure profit so I don't see why any changes should keep on benefiting you. Just sounds like a grumpy merchant that is no longer in the middle of the money and knows they are going to take heavy losses due to not being able to take advantage of less educated players. Kinda like what Poohallow has been doing by placing a market next to every other market. We all make bad investments, things change and new things arrive, I don't understand why you personally believe that future updates need to be run by you at all. Truly hope you find resolve and move on, and expect the world around you to change without giving you warnings. 

You're entitled to your opinion on this matter, no matter how wrong it may be.  I have no idea what Poohallow is doing, it is not my concern.  You call it a bad investment, I call it bad customer service.  I never said future updates need to be run by me ever. Please retract your false statement and apologize. Else be known for lying and trying to put words in other peoples mouths to justify your incorrect ideas.

Edited by Gumbo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChampagneDragon said:

Dev's wanted development in the area, they're getting development. There will be a wide range of tools, animals and bulk supplies available, not just Gumbo's. It will just make it easier for those new players to get them. And we're not the only market in the area. Nobody bitched when Glasshollow guys moved in the day it opened. Nobody has said a word about the other market between Haven and us.

Trust me on this one, people complain about the Glasshollow favela markets on a daily basis. The dislike for them is pretty universal. And they're probably the reason for the idea that any market near a starting area is based on greed.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Jore said:

Demanding monetary compensation for the devs making a huge improvement to the game? Wow

There is no reason to be so up in arms over this change as it makes it much easier for a new player to get into and enjoy the game. You should be glad, as it makes it so you don't have to devote more of your time helping them. However, since you are so up in arms, i'm lead to believe that you were simply into it for the chance to make a quick buck off of unknowing players, as others have already commented. 

Shame.

Improvements are welcome, but when they negatively impact some players, that situation needs to be addressed.  I've had this same "move" pulled on me twice now. What's the saying?  Once bitten, twice shy.  Well now the devs are the ones who have rustled this bee hive. They will have to address this or appear weak and wrong for their actions.

8 minutes ago, Alyeska said:

Trust me on this one, people complain about the Glasshollow favela markets on a daily basis. The dislike for them is pretty universal. And they're probably the reason for the idea that any market near a starting area is based on greed.

Thank you for pointing this out, appreciate it.

anyone who knows me can tell you i'm no fan of markets right next to spawns, but moving spawns around without as much as alerting the people (afaik nobody was told until VI talked about it, but some of us figured out the location before that) with merchants/deeds/whatever in the area just seems like poor etiquette. plenty of people base their locations around such spawns, some to help newbies, some to have their merchants easy to access with alts, some for the view. Call that greed call that being a savvy trader call it whatever you want doesn't change the fact that you're making major changes without even alerting the people most effected by such a change.

and before you go off at me, no i don't own a merchant there, or anywhere, or have plans to ever own a merchant. mail system 2 stronk

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Gumbo said:

I've already move my deed twice now and I'm tired of the devs here manipulating our world in such a way. I've torn up roots once and deeded by Samling, they moved that. I torn up roots a second time and moved to the FM area. They have now moved that.  This type of BS game manipulation needs to stop.  It's not about money and I resent you saying so. 

I quote the very first line people are introduced to when they get to the Wurm site.  "Wurm Online is the MMORPG where the players are in charge!"  -  Well guess what? I'm a player, and I'm in charge.  I'm tired of devs influencing our world in a way that negatively impacts not only mine, but many other players game styles.  It's time they compensate for negative actions against their customers, you know the ones who are in charge.

The reason why I posted here is because I believe the introduction of the new spawn and the new tutorial system is a huge boost to the Wurm new player experience. This is by far more important and much more needed than a sprinke of players near the started deed. Allow me to explain why.

When I started this game, I spawned at GV, and from there at the suggestion of my friend Arakiel, I spawned at The Howl. Yes, the same The Howl you are bringing up in this thread. That was my first day of Wurm, and I was there. You know who wasn't there tho? You. Now I don't say this to bash you, but to point out the fact that you can't be there 24-7. Yet since you were not there, I had to try to figure out the game mechanics, try to figure out how to do things on my own and to get started. During the hour I spent logged in try to figure things out (after the useless garbage tutorial at GV that thaught me nothing) I did not meet a single player. So I ambled about, finally figured out how to chop a tree, and got killed by a wolf because I did not have my weapons or armor on. So I quit never to return. This game was crap in my eyes and I couldnt get past the first day. That is until Arakiel brought me back and held my hand through it all. This was over 2 years ago. Now? We probably have maybe half the population we had then.

As important and irreplaceable players are, players cannot be online 24-7. A tutorial system is indispensable for new players, and in order for it to work we need a starter area for them to get started in. It sucks you took a hit over it. It happens. But that doesn't mean you should be compensated by the Devs. The fact you expect a monetary compensation for them doing something they have all  the right in the world to do is misguided. 

Thats what I meant by my post. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

anyone who knows me can tell you i'm no fan of markets right next to spawns, but moving spawns around without as much as alerting the people (afaik nobody was told until VI talked about it, but some of us figured out the location before that) with merchants/deeds/whatever in the area just seems like poor etiquette. plenty of people base their locations around such spawns, some to help newbies, some to have their merchants easy to access with alts, some for the view. Call that greed call that being a savvy trader call it whatever you want doesn't change the fact that you're making major changes without even alerting the people most effected by such a change.

and before you go off at me, no i don't own a merchant there, or anywhere, or have plans to ever own a merchant. mail system 2 stronk

Thank you for your reply.  Yes, they did this same thing with Samling and the Howl.  Some people deeded close to Samling to be near the spawn and the newbs. Many people moved far away from Samling to avoid being near the spawn and the newbs. What did the devs do? They moved the spawn to the Howl, smack dab in the middle of people who deeded there to get away from the spawn.  Anyone remember all those folks who walked away from the game because of that? 

Now here we are again. Same ######, different day.  History repeating itself. 

Edited by Gumbo
  • Like 1