Sign in to follow this  
Gumbo

Deed Discount Request

9 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

The reason why I posted here is because I believe the introduction of the new spawn and the new tutorial system is a huge boost to the Wurm new player experience. This is by far more important and much more needed than a sprinke of players near the started deed. Allow me to explain why.

When I started this game, I spawned at GV, and from there at the suggestion of my friend Arakiel, I spawned at The Howl. Yes, the same The Howl you are bringing up in this thread. That was my first day of Wurm, and I was there. You know who wasn't there tho? You. Now I don't say this to bash you, but to point out the fact that you can't be there 24-7. Yet since you were not there, I had to try to figure out the game mechanics, try to figure out how to do things on my own and to get started. During the hour I spent logged in try to figure things out (after the useless garbage tutorial at GV that thaught me nothing) I did not meet a single player. So I ambled about, finally figured out how to chop a tree, and got killed by a wolf because I did not have my weapons or armor on. So I quit never to return. This game was crap in my eyes and I couldnt get past the first day. That is until Arakiel brought me back and held my hand through it all. This was over 2 years ago. Now? We probably have maybe half the population we had then.

As important and irreplaceable players are, players cannot be online 24-7. A tutorial system is indispensable for new players, and in order for it to work we need a starter area for them to get started in. It sucks you took a hit over it. It happens. But that doesn't mean you should be compensated by the Devs. The fact you expect a monetary compensation for them doing something they have all  the right in the world to do is misguided. 

Thats what I meant by my post. 

Appreciate your reply thank you.  No I cannot be there or anywhere all the time. That's what makes spawn hand holders very valuable to this game.  The amount of time and questions that are asked by new players is astounding.  I still remember the simple questions I asked when I started, back when doing resulted in instant flaming from someone in the chat.  I watched as the silly, misleading answers from some players were put in the chat.  I vowed to never do that to a new player.  Not sure I've kept that vow, but I know I've def. typed out a silly answer to an new players important question. Then never posted the reply, remembering how I didn't like that treatment.

This story is not directed to you, but I'd still like to share my most recent new player helping from last week, since you mentioned about your spawn time.  This is directed at those claiming it's about greed and money.  Last week I had a player standing at my deed waiting for me. They asked if they could join my deed to help get them started. After a few questions, they were accepted. To help get them on their way, they were given a nice house with yard on deed. I asked what they were interested it. They said making a some silvers so they could pay for premium.  Great !  They asked what they could do for me to earn silver.  So I gave this new player my 90ql knife and a job chopping up 99ql veggies at a wage of 1s per 1000.  You know what I got in return for my first silver?  1000 chopped veggies at 11ql.   The new player was paid, and another 1000 veggies dropped of for her to chop.  These are the kinds of things I do to help new players. Anyone who wants to ###### on my type of game play, you go right ahead. If you think I'm here to pad my bank account, you're sorely mistaken.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

This is not the Gumbo I know.

Thats why I said that. I know you better than that and hence why I found this post so shocking. Its akin to seeing someone like Wikidvudu or SmilingCat or Muse suddenly turn into a raging lunatic. You just don't see those things. I think that more than money you are looking for a reason to keep your deeds since the purpose you had them for has mostly vanished. I can relate to that.

The answer is simple. Be more active in the new area. Drop a small size deed near the new area or move yourself on an alt to it, then redirect new players to your place or simply be social. There's ways to get what you want with little effort. I don't think you'll get much demanding repayment and throwing a tantrum. Just my two cents, my friend.

13 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

Thats why I said that. I know you better than that and hence why I found this post so shocking. Its akin to seeing someone like Wikidvudu or SmilingCat or Muse suddenly turn into a raging lunatic. You just don't see those things. I think that more than money you are looking for a reason to keep your deeds since the purpose you had them for has mostly vanished. I can relate to that.

The answer is simple. Be more active in the new area. Drop a small size deed near the new area or move yourself on an alt to it, then redirect new players to your place or simply be social. There's ways to get what you want with little effort. I don't think you'll get much demanding repayment and throwing a tantrum. Just my two cents, my friend.

Naw, won't be dropping no deed there.  Twice bitten now.  Devs have lost one of their silent game promoters in me.  Last straw. Time for me to take on a new play style other than "Mr. Helper".  To be kicked in the head twice by the devs is enough for me to change my ways.

By this logic, I should have requested a massive amount of compensation when player gods were released, as they destroyed my business too.  All my time grinding channel, faith, and all those premium/deed upkeep costs too.

I helped a lot of new folks with free magic after all.

This change was made to generate a dense population hotspot, and wurm needs that to reach "social critical mass" again.

• Like 3

I don't believe what I said is wrong. It is my opinion after all like you said. You're asking for compensation for something YOU decided to do without the help or involvement of any staff, so I don't understand why you feel like anybody owes you anything. Even if it was in the best for the community the fact that you're here demanding a refund from people that owe you nothing just screams conflict of interest.  

There are updates and new features released quite often that hinders peoples businesses, we move on and try other ways to make a living. If you want to continue selling next to starter deeds then just follow and adapt but nobody owes you anything. 

and I know you're a vet, and you're a very nice person too but this is just childish.

• Like 2

The Howl is now the equivalent of a dried up coal town in America. The resource is gone, industry has to move on and keep up with the times if they want to remain relevant. Yes, this is a sandbox, but that doesn't mean that time won't move forward and things will not change.  Your resource, new players, may not appear as often because there's a hub near the new starting zone.  I'm near Summerholt on Xanadu and still see plenty of new players pass through, though thankfully they're a touch less destructive to the area now that they have a chance to get their feet wet elsewhere.

On that note, it's sweet that you paid 1 silver for 11ql chopped vegetables, but did that actually help the new player in any way? They have developed a few points in a skill that isn't going to really help them in the long run. Why didn't you hand them a crate of logs and suggest planks, rock shards and a chisel to learn to make bricks, or other skills that are useful to a player in their first days?  Teach them about bulk goods, not just placate the quick need for 2 silver for premium so they can realize on their own later that they don't have marketable skills and abandon the game completely.

• Like 3

Not going to wade in on the compensation thing but Gumbo is right about consequences ...

As i understand it, Halcyon was established by players who wished to be well away from the chaos of a new player spawn area ..

When the Howl was suddenly established,10 minutes east,  almost the entire village population left, some moved, most simply logged out and never returned, leaving the FM ramp almost complete but unfinished, until a group of players took it up years later.

Seems to me we need a better way to handle these events.

While I sympathize for your loss, Gumbo, I'd bet my left arm that compensation ain't gonna happen. It would open the floodgates for claims by anyone who has ever lost any business due to a change in the mechanics — i.e. pretty much anyone who has ever dabbled in Wurm's economy for any length of time. We've all had to roll with the punches and adapt, as any good businessperson does. Stay agile and don't put all your eggs in one basket, as in RL so too in Wurm.

• Like 1

I am not seeing that this complaint is justified. When I had my first a few week long visit to Wurm in 2012 (in fact I was playing somewhere else and just curious) Independence was the one and only (? not sure, the smaller islands may have existed) point to arrive in PvE at after having left the tutorial area of that time. Btw I did not receive much help those days, but alas, it was a short but interesting visit, and the great changes since (much improved graphics one of them) were even more motivating to renew and extend my Wurm experience.

That advantage is gone since Xanadu was founded. When I came "back" (in fact it was no real return, my previous visit was more touristic) to Wurm as my new main stay I did not even bother to think about going to Indy. So I never got the favor of your services. A not small number of others was in the same situation.

Nowadays, you won a huge advantage over all the other Freedom servers. All beginners start off at Indy, they are reachable over Kingdom chat. You may even offer ferry services to transport new players to the inlands of Indy. I wonder what you are complaining about.

• Like 2

Things change, why would you assume the game would be static?  How many were impacted by player gods?  Or bridges?  Either you adapt your play and plans to match the new status quo, or you go and do something else.  Or, if you really feel that wurm doesn't fit your needs anymore, you vote with your feet and leave.  All of this is a natural part of any game that is still being maintained and updated (and thank nahjo this one still is!), so expecting compensation for doing what you wanted to do anyway seems kinda...wacky, to be honest.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Gumbo said:

Please start your own thread with your requests instead of trolling here. Thank you

Perhaps you missed the point.

Posts are not "trolling" just because you do not like (or do not understand) the point.

I wont bother to  clarify in more simple terms because as evidenced in the rest of the thread..you would not "get it" anyway.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

By this logic, I should have requested a massive amount of compensation when player gods were released, as they destroyed my business too.  All my time grinding channel, faith, and all those premium/deed upkeep costs too.

I helped a lot of new folks with free magic after all.

This change was made to generate a dense population hotspot, and wurm needs that to reach "social critical mass" again.

With big religion changes usualy you do get a free /transfer - as with the last one - to convert to a new deity if you so desire.

1 hour ago, Alyeska said:

With big religion changes usualy you do get a free /transfer - as with the last one - to convert to a new deity if you so desire.

Nah, I am just going to keep complaining till they buff Fo a bit, we got horribly nerfed in the priest update.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Gumbo said:

Improvements are welcome, but when they negatively impact some players, that situation needs to be addressed.

All changes will negatively impact at least some players.

1 hour ago, Alyeska said:

Bro, you do realize that's like comparing tomatoes with bamboo right ? Question for the philosopher ...

Edited by Lordbeerus

10 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

Nah, I am just going to keep complaining till they buff Fo a bit, we got horribly nerfed in the priest update.

How'd fo get nerfed? if anything he's a lot stronger now

On 12/11/2018 at 8:49 PM, Sindusk said:

Sadly most of the work that was supposed to be done with Fo ended up not working out as intended. There were spells planned to be reworked that we just couldn't manage to do in a valid way, because the ideas were too ambitious. This leaves Fo in an unfortunate state where we were planning to give him something extra in order to bring him up to par with the other deities, but ends up falling short. Right now, he'll be remaining in the state that he's in. At the end of the day, he's the only god who has the full kit of healing spells, combined with Oakshell, Genesis, Life Transfer, and Venom. Because he's also a template god, he gets the special CR bonus for being on his terrain, which can be pretty potent. Aside from that, there's really not much else to say. I'm sure players will use him, but he'll be the niche pick of the group.

Generally speaking, heal really got nerfed hard (not tried it at a rift yet, but if even a small heal gives me a large cooldown, LoF is going to be a killer); in terms of new magic we got the worst protection spell, but venom is looking a bit better as it works well on mauls...  As for new spells, we got "create 3x3 tiles of grass"....  Hardly worth cheering over.

Nevermind, I'm way off topic. 

Edited by Beanbag
Offtopic

3 hours ago, Lordbeerus said:

Bro, you do realize that's like comparing tomatoes with bamboo right ? Question for the philosopher ...

I do like both. They each have their own place. But it was in response to mockishly requesting monetary compensation for priest updates - you do get some form of compensation for those, or at least a way to keep up to date with the new stuff - albeit not monetarily, itd be akin to being able to pick up and move your existing deed to a new location. Which would be quite challenging.

• Like 1

This thread is very entitled and cute to be honest! However I understand Gumbo has had this happened twice to him. I know very well your 'Xanadu' deed used to be your Samling front and stuff and when they changed it to the Howl you again moved. It sucks I agree, but who hasn't had something similar happen to them while playing Wurm. My extremely good friend Dairuka quit Wurm a few years ago because of the Nahjo favor nerf to crops. They implemented chopped veggies it was a big ordeal and he couldn't adapt to it, the QoL improvements came much later that helped Nahjo out but it was simply too late.

However this is a mmo and it's very progressive in nature, we might not always like the changes but I think it will provide healthy growth for Wurm. I'm pretty outspoken when I think something is bad which I think is extremely rare in this community for some reason. So I do actually appreciate this thread for what it is; but realistically I don't think the staff will accommodate.

Haven is really pretty good from my inspection, I think having Indy as the initial spawn will prevent the hemorrhaging that the Xanadu server has caused for all these years. Having newbies get lost in a laggy server like that was a mistake on the developer's part. I don't think this will happen on Indy with Haven. I imagine more people have quit with Xanadu being in the server list than anything. If I was them I'd split the server into 2 server zones with loading screens in between.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Niki said:

This thread is very entitled and cute to be honest! However I understand Gumbo has had this happened twice to him. I know very well your 'Xanadu' deed used to be your Samling front and stuff and when they changed it to the Howl you again moved. It sucks I agree, but who hasn't had something similar happen to them while playing Wurm. My extremely good friend Dairuka quit Wurm a few years ago because of the Nahjo favor nerf to crops. They implemented chopped veggies it was a big ordeal and he couldn't adapt to it, the QoL improvements came much later that helped Nahjo out but it was simply too late.

However this is a mmo and it's very progressive in nature, we might not always like the changes but I think it will provide healthy growth for Wurm. I'm pretty outspoken when I think something is bad which I think is extremely rare in this community for some reason. So I do actually appreciate this thread for what it is; but realistically I don't think the staff will accommodate.

Haven is really pretty good from my inspection, I think having Indy as the initial spawn will prevent the hemorrhaging that the Xanadu server has caused for all these years. Having newbies get lost in a laggy server like that was a mistake on the developer's part. I don't think this will happen on Indy with Haven. I imagine more people have quit with Xanadu being in the server list than anything. If I was them I'd split the server into 2 server zones with loading screens in between.

Good gods I'm agreeing with Niki.

I'll be back after I've had a shower.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Keenan said:

Good gods I'm agreeing with Niki.

I'll be back after I've had a shower.

LOL

Too bad farmer's salve won't work on burns ?

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

This is really not as bad as when he wanted weapon enchant decay back so he could sell more enchanted weapons.

Edited by Maiev
  • Like 1

There's been a lot said in this thread and I think the majority of players have hit the nail on the head here. 

Wurm is a constantly evolving and changing game, we have to make changes that improve the game as a whole. While this may sometimes feel like it inconveniences you directly I can assure you that it's not our intention. 

This is something that will not be happening, new player systems such as villages that specifically take on new players still have portals and village teleports, so we feel the core support for new players is still there. A market place built along a busy route may lose out on some foot traffic but I can safely assume that brand new players walking from the spawn town will not have coin to spend nor have the stats required to ride animals beyond cows. 

Freedom market is still the "hub" for Independence, it is still a GM owned market deed and we still intend on it being the center point. Haven's Landing may have more new player oriented areas and natural build up by players focusing on that, but I strongly feel that established players would rather have a more central point on the server as their place of business. 

With that, I feel this thread is devolving into bickering and arguing, so I'll be locking it as you now have your answer. 

While we understand you are frustrated with it, we will not be providing deed discounts for players affected by Haven's Landing.

• Like 8