Sign in to follow this  
Quicktor

Farewell to the greatest Dev

Thanks for everything Sindusk, sorry to hear about your experience. Sounds frustrating, I will always remember you as an amazing hard working dev and wish you the best of luck in the future.

Thank you! ?

• Like 1

So, i can say there is some horse ###### flying around here.  In waiting for enki to discuss an open ticket with me for over 6mos, another issue regarding innappropriate language by head of PR was linked.  This was supposed to be addressed internally confidentially so there is no threat to a player ..being myself for reporting it.  what actually happens...enki does not address the issue, Retrograde jumps into the conversation that he was not on the pm for,  that is about him to have  a dispute with me.  Now how is this ever professional..where do you ever take that type of complaint and have it addressed.  Was completely out of line and put me in the crosshairs of a place i should not be subject to for someone else's behaviour.  The thing is, players have countless stories of mishandlings were we aren't regarded or handled with the deference and respect the game moderation rules ask of us as players.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Bloodscythe said:

So, i can say there is some horse ###### flying around here.  In waiting for enki to discuss an open ticket with me for over 6mos, another issue regarding innappropriate language by head of PR was linked.  This was supposed to be addressed internally confidentially so there is no threat to a player ..being myself for reporting it.  what actually happens...enki does not address the issue, Retrograde jumps into the conversation that he was not on the pm for,  that is about him to have  a dispute with me.  Now how is this ever professional..where do you ever take that type of complaint and have it addressed.  Was completely out of line and put me in the crosshairs of a place i should not be subject to for someone else's behaviour.  The thing is, players have countless stories of mishandlings were we aren't regarded or handled with the deference and respect the game moderation rules ask of us as players.

spot on, and the problem is so bad that when the golden goose leaves the building the brick wall is still not absorbing any information

"everything is fine"

Edited by platinumteef
  • Like 1

Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave.....soon they will forget what they reported or asked...

sad to see you go @Sinduskyou have done a really good job during your time on the team!

Edited by Meep
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, madnezz said:

What about when you report staff for hacking your forums and it wasn't taken seriously?

50 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

I'm not sure what this is but I'm probably not the one to answer.

A reference to something that happened outside of your time-frame on Wild, Gary. However it's disputable how much involvement any staff members did actually have in the incident that occurred, it was covered up by the staff members at the time.

There are many other incidents of things like this occurring. Staff members getting ahead of themselves and doing whatever they want. Need I reminisce of a specific crustacean that is still currently on the team, that was responsible for conning other players into stealing from kingdoms they were a part of? What did we do about this? Ahh, send him on a vacation, and then secretly change his name Bashur-style. That's how you do it folks!

I'll tell you what, if I personally tried that #### I'd be permabanned in a goddamned instant. Because I simply don't have the same connections.

I'd love to live in a world where I could be as oblivious so as to think everyone would draw the same lines you claim to, when it comes to GM information and kingdom bias, but it's simply not true. Maybe you haven't had issues with it on Epic, but that certainly isn't the case throughout Wild's history.

Edited by whereami
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

I think I can answer this one.

Going by what I know for when I was staff, the reason why Joey was banned has more to do with years of "toxic player syndrome" and not for a specific rule violation he did. For what I heard he said something about a dev that recently passed away (or so I heard) which garnered him an immediate ban. What people say is that it was one drop too many, and staff simply didn't want him around anymore. I can testify to the amount of stuff this guy did in the forums, and the considerable amount of chances he was given.

That being said, the reason why his account was banned is Horse####. According to the rules (cited above by Samool) he should not have been banned. Recently the "Toxic player syndrome" excuse has been overused by staff to remove someone they don't like despite who the person is or how this person has contributed to the community (or lack thereof). Banning someone has long lasting effects not only for that person, but for those who interact with them, and even the whole community. When you ban someone, there's a cloud of undertainty that spreads, and if staff is not transparent about it, rumors will abound. I

The reason why Joey was banned was a completely subjective one. Joey was banned not because he broke a rule, but because he pissed off enough those who hold the hammer.

Thanks for the answer

I know his behaviour in the forums wasnt proper and he was punished for it. ( got banned from the forums) but what I cannot understand why that comment which it was indeed inappropriate didnt get him kicked out of discord. Maybe he is the bad guy of forums but he isnt the only one. Still that situation makes me sad 

The common theme of this thread has become discussion about moderation and our shortcomings, which I will agree are glaringly obvious in many places. 

We are - and have been for some time - in the process of overhauling our internal policies and identifying where and how we can improve things. 

A few things we are in the process of doing is identifying the best way of improving response time and ways we can increase transparency without creating opportunities for incessant drama. 

I do agree that we need to be more open about large scale bans, particularly with today's ban regarding abuse of a mechanic that is the very reason for the PvP raid ban currently ongoing. We're in the process of taking appeals and will work through them to identify if everyone caught in the ban wave is worthy of the ban or if we should correct that. 

Our moderation overhaul is an ongoing process and one that Sindusk was not privy to, his dissatisfaction is as an outsider looking in which is disappointing as it gives the impression -as some have put it- of "shady ongoings". Developers are as privy to moderation actions as normal players bar determining whether the mechanics are an exploit and changing them. This was done in this case, the dev team agreed that it was unintended and that the raid ban made sense and worked on addressing the issue.

We do our best to learn from these experiences and there are many areas we are actively working on improving moderation wise. I fully agree with the comments about transparency and policy and it's something that is a high priority for the first part of 2019. We will have something more substantial publicly posted regarding today's bans within the next 24 hours, detailing the reasons for the PvP raid ban and more. 

With that said, I believe the purpose of this thread is to thank Sindusk for his work as a volunteer developer for Wurm and wish him best of luck in his endeavours in the future, he is a talented dev that can bring complex ideas to fruition, I wish him the best. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

We are - and have been for some time - in the process of overhauling our internal policies and identifying where and how we can improve things. 

A few things we are in the process of doing is identifying the best way of improving response time and ways we can increase transparency without creating opportunities for incessant drama. 

Although I am new to the scene, I would like to chip in a little here.

This is all any team can really do. People expect the most out of other people, yet don't apply the same measure to themselves. I am not sure of everything that transpired, but this thread has given me a lot to think about. I only hope things turn well for everyone involved. 

As always, see you on Chaos! :)

@SinduskI highly appreciate the hard work and enthusiasm you were putting into Wurm as a dev. I was really shocked seeing you leave and I really sorry it had to happen. From my greedy point of view it is a huge loss and would love to see it reverted. I'm sure any future project you enter will benefit hugely from your work. THANK YOU!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Bridges are coming by Christmas 06. 

Delays happen, Unexpected things pop up either in testing, mechanics or just other projects, but we don't like to get ahead of ourselves and we like to be able to deliver upon as many promises, there's only so long you can explain why something was delayed before people start asking why was it shared so early. 

It's hard to speak about delays where there are no plans (like for Epic) or we just don't know them couse of lack of share of information.

• Like 2

We really need a statement on what is planned with Epic. Should I still want to put upkeep in the deeds there? Will there be a map reset? Will the hota rework still happen?

• Like 3

It's hard to give a statement about epic because our focus is on other areas to improve the general retention and population, such as UI, journal, tutorial, and many other aspects. As you can see we've nailed a few down but the next few will be more backend, including overhauling certain existing code to improve desync and such.

As for epic, it's there and we have zero plans to remove it. HotA rework should still be happening and have dev support, just like ongoing priest tweaks. 

We know epic is quiet, but we also know there is a playerbase on it that are invested and continue to be so, if we make any decisions regarding its removal or any changes we will let you all know well in advance. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jaz said:

We really need a statement on what is planned with Epic. Should I still want to put upkeep in the deeds there? Will there be a map reset? Will the hota rework still happen?

Myyyyyysteeeeeeryyyyyyy

1 minute ago, Retrograde said:

It's hard to give a statement about epic because our focus is on other areas to improve the general retention and population, such as UI, journal, tutorial, and many other aspects. As you can see we've nailed a few down but the next few will be more backend, including overhauling certain existing code to improve desync and such.

As for epic, it's there and we have zero plans to remove it. HotA rework should still be happening and have dev support, just like ongoing priest tweaks. 

We know epic is quiet, but we also know there is a playerbase on it that are invested and continue to be so, if we make any decisions regarding its removal or any changes we will let you all know well in advance. 

Ok, so there are clearly zero plans about removing it.

But You dodged, rather smoothly, a question for future plans.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Actually the hota rework will redraw the optimal deed placement locations. If a map reset on Ele is planned around that time moving and developing deeds two times is something that would be great to avoid.....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jaz said:

Actually the hota rework will redraw the optimal deed placement locations. If a map reset on Ele is planned around that time moving and developing deeds two times is something that would be great to avoid.....

Fair enough, that's a valid point and I will pass it along 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Wilczan said:

But You dodged, rather smoothly, a question for future plans.

It's mostly because there's some ideas, but nothing concrete, anything said now would be akin to sharing ideas around a coffee table in a dimly lit apartment while taking turns swigging out of a bottle of jack daniels. 

Needless, anything we do want to discuss with a fully fleshed out idea we will use the feature feedback section

• Like 4

Sad to see you go Sindusk, was hoping we'd finally have someone who'd be interested in changing systems that never really got the attention they deserved despite the problems they had.

However I can perfectly understand the problems you have, especially considering how it's sometimes the GM policy to claim innocence and say its a Dev problem, and the Dev's just saying they don't have the time so it'll remain as is. In the end you get nowhere.

Take care, and good luck with your future endeavors.

With Sindusk is going I lost all my hope for Epic.

Thx for your words Sindusk, you are a man of honor !

• Like 2

lol now that sindusk is gone, pvp changes and general bugfixes will go back to taking months/years. He was the single best thing to happen to pvp. Now pvp is pretty much doomed to rot away and die out.

• Like 3

Apologies, I have been quite busy over the christmas break, I'll work on getting more active there! 

Players helping each other is always great, as we don't always have the answers ourselves 

• Like 1

@Sindusk Can you buy Happy Meal for me, please?

JKZmsz3.png

• Like 10

Thank you @Sinduskfor everything you've done for Wurm, as a player, and a developer. You will be missed, I've learned a lot from your responses to us players on various updates and patches over the years, and appreciated your candour and communication of some of the underlying mechanisms.

• Like 1