Sign in to follow this  
Silencia

Horses mysteriously dying

It was suggested that I post this possible bug about horses dying. I live on Xanadu, and I have had an issue with my 5spd horses dying for no apparent reason. Here are the specifics.

Horse is on deed

It was not hitched to a cart

It was alone on tile/pen of enchanted grass that is still in good condition

It was not pregnant

It was cared for

I have not crossed server with it

It has not been in a cage

It was not tamed

It was branded

No cause of death in parenthesis

Animal ratio on deed 18.3

Horse was alive less than 24 hours ago.

Didn't happen on reboot.  [14:49:28] The server has been up 13 days, 10 hours and 12 minutes. 

I have lost 3 horses this same way in the past, including one on the same tile as the most recent one. If I can give you any other helpful information please let me know. I hope I am not wasting your time.

Thank you

Edited by Silencia

So maybe some sort of glitch that said it was cared for in my Manage Animals tab? 

I have had 26 deaths of horses on enchanted  grass, on deed, all fat and healthy in breeding pens. 

The tile per creature ratio of this deed is 21.648. Optimal is 15.0 or more. This is a good figure. There are 35 creatures currently branded.

26 deaths of horses in 3 days. Same as with the OP,  on deed, healthy, no reason for all of them to die at once. I live on Xanadu as well.

Also had a 5s horse die the other day on my wagon, fat and healthy as far as I was aware when I logged out the day before. Don't recall if it was cared for..  it was 'aged' 

For me the issue has been every horse that was cared for has died (all breeders). Some where blessed and on myselium (corrupted) and some not and on enchanted grass. No issues at all past 1 year now all dead ( been alive prolly 1,5 years and now all died at once). Every other horse still alive. Its telling died to starvation. plenty of room at the deed too The tile per creature ratio of this deed is 61.05263. Optimal is 5.0 or more. This is a good figure.....now the horses are dead abit more room.

If cared for creatures are actually dying then we need the death reason on their corpse to help track down why, if there is no reason on the corpse then it wasn't cared for.

20 hours ago, kgorski said:

and looks like "care fore" turning off when player log off.

Cared status doesn't matter if the player is online or offline.

Just looking up how cared status can clear, looks like if the creature is examined and the carer has been logged off for 2+ weeks then the cared status clears. Guessing this is to stop creatures existing forever due to people caring for it then logging off forever - though triggering on examine is weird, and 2 weeks is probably a bit short.

Will look into changing this to something a bit different. See below.

7 minutes ago, Budda said:

Just looking up how cared status can clear, looks like if the creature is examined and the carer has been logged off for 2+ weeks then the cared status clears.

are you sure thats actually working? i have cared for horses from people that show up on friends list with last login times of 3+ years

2 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

are you sure thats actually working? i have cared for horses from people that show up on friends list with last login times of 3+ years

Oh you're right actually, this is for never prem chars only it looks like. Nevermind me.

Turned off as in, cared for won't do anything? or Turned off as in I can care for it with 1 of my characters? Having the animal blocked from a new care, while not providing protection would be fatal.

2 minutes ago, Kelody said:

Turned off as in, cared for won't do anything? or Turned off as in I can care for it with 1 of my characters? Having the animal blocked from a new care, while not providing protection would be fatal.

If the character you're caring for it with is a never-prem alt, then its still cared for and protected but only for 2 weeks after last login. Even after that point, that status and protection only clear if the creature is examined. There aren't any cases where it is cared for and not protected from old age.

Do keep in mind that cared status only protects from old age, nothing else (hence kinda needing the death reason from the corpse for us to track down why they might be dying).

• Like 1

Great info thank you! Now I know how possibly cared for status cleared on several of my horses.

One question: if the horse is cared for on all the servers by the same never-prem alt, is it enough to log in said char on one of the servers only to keep the cared for status on the horses after an examine?

Also is it sure it is Examine only? It seems I had at least the first horse that died unexpectedly on a "foreign" server that was never examined - but was interacted with like gear added/removed, hitched/unhitched.

A person on my deed lost her horse while she was logged off today. Death reason: Starvation. It was 1 of 2 hitched to a creature transporter cart on enchanted grass. The surviving horse was fat at time of the victim's death.

Edited by LionIX

I have had animals I tried to breed, that have been standing on enchanted grass, that I had to feed manually before breeding. It's rare. The animals may have been hitched, too long ago to remember. But it sounds like this is an extension of this issue. Animals starving while hitched or penned on enchanted grass.

It might be a good idea to take animals for a walk from time to time. ?

Edited by Kelody

Not really playing actively at the moment but my characters are premium. Today I logged in to 3 Champion animals (one cat, one lion, one crocodile) having died of miscarriage in the same night. I've never had a single animal die of miscarriage before.They're on a deed with The tile per creature ratio of this deed is 47.50685. Optimal is 15.0 or more. This is a good figure. There is 1 creature currently branded. on enchanted grass and fat. 

'miscarriage ' alone can be responsible.. bad rng, caring for creatures do not protect them from that, it's the reason I RARELY breed cared-for fems, it's gambling.

• Like 1

Well, the amount of horses I've lost is basically all my breeders - some cared for, some not. Some venerable, some not. Some hitched, some not. But all fat and healthy.

I have also lost a Mature Fat Champion Wild Cat, and an Aged Fat Champion Large Rat - not pregnant, cared for by premium chars, no cause of death. 

I have also lost a Venerable Fat Cupid and a Venerable Fat Doner Kebap (the first is a differently named ram, the second a differently named sheep) - not pregnant, cared for by premium chars, no cause of death. 

I'm really not wanting to lose my entire collection of animals because of this bug.

My ratio is always good, all my creatures are fed and all my alts are or have been at a point premium. All creatures are on enchanted grass. I don't understand what's going on. It's just too many deaths in such a short time.

Alright here's a well recorded case of my last champion large rat. 

This is a MALE, his name was Agent Squeak.

He was tamed and cared for as shown in the logs below:

Spoiler

[20:35:07] You enter Darq Falls.
[20:36:00] You start to tame the aged champion large rat.
[20:36:00] Aged champion large rat becomes aggravated and attacks you!
[20:36:12] An aged champion large rat eats a meat.
[20:36:12] You can't keep control over an old champion wild cat 'Rika' as well.
[20:36:12] Aged champion large rat is now submissive to your will.
[20:36:22] You start leading an aged champion large rat.
[20:36:30] You get a moldy meat.
[20:36:42] You leave Darq Falls.
[20:36:49] You no longer feel the presence of Nahjo.
[20:37:04] You feel the presence of Vynora.
[20:37:28] You enter Ost-in-edhil.
[20:37:46] You now care specially for aged champion large rat, to ensure longevity. You may care for 0 more creatures.
[20:38:28] You stop leading an aged champion large rat.

As the screenshot below shows, the rat died at age AGED. 

It also shows that there was meat (below the red arrow) in the pen so starvation can not have been a cause of death (rat was fat as well, but that's not visible here).

It was male so neither can miscarriage.

It shows that the animal was branded to my deed.

The cause of death is missing. 

I honestly don't see a cause of death for this one at all. 

WRKlWoU.jpg

• Like 2

Just brought from freedom to chaos a newborn hellhorse, i tamed it so i can lead him to his pen and left him tamed with food to eat, alone... wasn't cared for.

[11:13:11] Your pet is nowhere to be found. It may have died of old age. .... was a newborn and when died he was young.

male +5spd hell horse, Eckerwing

fix this bug already, cant even do pvp with proper horses -_-

Edited by Themystrix
wrong age, it was young not adolescent
  • Like 1