Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Valrei International. 076

nOnrlPc.png

Libila is here! - Shmeric

Greetings Wurmians to the first Valrei International of the new year! 

I hope your New Year break was great, filled with lots of good times. I’m coming to you live from a whole new country, having moved over the New Year period myself, but enough about me, it’s news time! 

We’re off with a huge start this year, with the first update of the year due out tomorrow, this includes tweaks to fishing, new journal tiers and more! Let’s check it out

Fishing tweaks
While we have been quiet over the break, we’ve been actively reading and discussing the fishing update and the necessary tweaks that will be coming. Tomorrows update introduces a whole bunch of QoL adjustments to the system, including better wording of event messages, better catching by clicking, and a lore system similar to cooking that tells you what fish you might catch with your setup and location! 

We’ve also added all the fishy details to the wiki, with the help of Seedlings and her crew of WA’s (Seriously, their work is insane, I looked at what needed to be done and cried.) A huge thanks to the wiki team for the work they’ve done, and sorry if I was mean!

Check out the table with all the info here!

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Fish

The next steps 
Stage 2 of the journal will be coming too, with new tasks, titles and tiers! The journey continues with tasks such as discover an archaeology cache, kill a champion creature, and get 10 skills to 50! We’ll be also introducing the priest branch, which is a separate branch with priest oriented goals, and priest oriented rewards. They can be completed alongside the existing branch but the existing branch may require losing faith, so be warned. 

The rewards will be different compared to what you're used to seeing, but that's all I'm saying... #mystery

Quickbinding
One of my most anticipated things coming in tomorrows update is the amazing work Samool has been doing (as usual) on keybinds! With the next update players will be able to bind actions via the right click menu, simply holding down the key they wish to bind to the action. This makes changing keybindings SO much smoother and faster, and also easier to understand for new players. I know I’ll be taking a lot of advantage of this feature! 

yiNSfVj.gif

Tap dance redecoration
The results were in! A long time ago actually! Team Shark won with a huge majority, and we’re excited to see what they bring to the starter deed. Celebration has been quite the popular destination judging by all the familiar names I’ve seen in local, so I’m keen to see what sort of tourist trap they build! 

The hunt grows

It's been no secret that HotA has been rather limited and well, a little boring. Sindusk, Darklords and other devs have spent this holiday period working on a new system to replace HotA. It's a huge expansive system and will be going on test after tomorrows update! Check out all the details here:

Spoiler

Overview
Coming soon, a new iteration of the Hunt of the Ancients mechanic will be coming to Chaos and Elevation. This new iteration utilizes the full potential of each map by creating randomly placed points of interest which can be contested by players. Alongside that, Hunt of the Ancients is no longer an event that occurs for a short span of time each day. Instead, it will become a core part of daily PvP gameplay, and will be active at almost all times. Finally, it was designed as a system that will be accessible to groups of players of any size, whether it be a massive kingdom or a mercenary group of players.
New Battle Camps
The focus point of the new Hunt of the Ancients will be Battle Camps, which are generated at random locations once per day.

• Every day, a new Battle Camp will spawn at a random location on the map. They cannot spawn within a village, under water, or on extreme slopes/mountains.
  • New Battle Camps start neutral, and can be conquered by using an action which takes 5 minutes. If a camp is already claimed by an enemy kingdom, it must first be neutralized, which takes 5 minutes as well. A notification will be sent to the whole server when a camp is successfully neutralized or claimed by a kingdom.
  • When four Battle Camps are conquered by a single kingdom, a HotA statue is created at the most recently conquered Battle Camp. All four camps that were controlled by the kingdom are removed from the map. Any neutral camps, or camps  claimed by other kingdoms, remain in play.
  • Battle Camps are now containers, and have a slim chance of generating moon metal lumps at certain intervals. This chance decreases as more lumps are generated, so holding onto a single camp for an extended period of time has diminishing returns.

When claiming a Battle Camp, the goal would be to defend it for the moon metal lumps it generates, as well as keep it controlled until you can obtain three other camps. For this reason, the following mechanics will be in place:

• When a Battle Camp is created, it forms a 40x40 zone around it.
  • Players cannot terraform inside the zone unless it is claimed by their kingdom. When claimed, terraforming slopes are limited to 40 steep.
  • Players cannot create or continue fences inside the zone unless it is claimed by their kingdom. When claimed, locked fences will not unlock for enemies when an allied player passes through.
  • Players cannot place mine doors in a Battle Camp zone.
  • Players cannot place deeds or extend deeds into a Battle Camp zone.
  • Players cannot construct or expand buildings into a Battle Camp zone.

That’s it from us this week, we have a huge update to be ready for tomorrow with a ton of tweaks, changes and additions to the game, way more than we've shared here. We're starting 2019 off with a bang and you'll be left saying wow!  Hope to see you all there! 

Until then though, keep on Wurming!
Retrograde & the Wurm team. 

• Like 27

first (almost)

GODDAMIT ZELDA!

Edited by Wulfgarr
  • Like 5

Bruh, where is my 1v1 ? :D

Nice work.

Hota changes are really bad, what the heck is that?

Edited by Sn00

13 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

With the next update players will be able to bind actions via the right click menu

This is huge.  I personally have most actions keybound already, but this will be so useful for new people.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

is the amazing work Samool has been doing (as usual) on keybinds!

is there plans to add keybinds to things that don't already have them, like use, smelt and all that other fancy stuff

• Like 2

So you can build fences as hops on a claimed camp?

Keybindings \o/ I just had to reset  all mine and it was a bit of pain. This sounds great!

Also, what happens after the hota is done, do the fences just stay?  Is Chaos going to be the land of wooden fences?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

and you'll be left saying wow!

• Like 2

I can see why you're allowing wooden fence gates to be built, perhaps allowing a smaller group to defend a camp, but a catapult will take care of those pretty easy.
If i take over the camp and the enemy built wooden fence gates, do i get transferred the ownership?

Perhaps instead of you allowing Wooden fence gates to be built, you instead spawn random sized buildings [Wooden] inside the 40 x 40 and these will also despawn as the camp goes?
Or, to prevent what Oreo said, anything built within the 40 x 40 is instantly destroyed as camps despawn?

What kind of MM reward are we looking at here because currently 1 hota which spawns the MM over to your capital gives a total of 4kg in metal lumps. Will we be looking at the same amount or less, for more work and more risk?

Overall, i like it, but a few things need answering/clarified and tested on Test.

The fact this is an on going system where we keep fighting for control sounds awesome, I look forward to trying this out. I just hope the mm amount makes all the risk worth it, also could the hota statues finally get there textured for ada and glimmer and can we rotate between glimmer and ada so we're not stuck with one type after x wins, thanks! 

Mclovin

Edited by Mclavin
  • Like 1

Did u just sign ur post

Disgusting

I hope it was for a meme

• Like 3

who's talking above me, they didn't sign the post, now i'll never know

mclovin

• Like 2

A few more questions: If a battle camp spawns and isn't found will there be some kind of sparkle eventually to highlight this camp?

Will alts with 30fs be able to cap the camp? What kind of requirements do you think it'll take to cap a camp? Will guards spawn at least once to make it hard for single player/alts?

If a pattern of spawning emerges, will you shake up that pattern?

Edited by Mclavin

Regarding Hota, will current Battle camps still exists? Will they also give MM?

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

I’m coming to you live from a whole new country, having moved over the New Year period myself, but enough about me

Not nearly enough about you. Now you have me curious about where you have moved to and what circumstances made this come about. Never wink your eye when wanting to retain the look of innocence.

=Ayes=

Wow! Can't wait to try those keybinds, looks like my life will become incredibly easier xD

Also this!!! pretty pls

3 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

is there plans to add keybinds to things that don't already have them, like use, smelt and all that other fancy stuff

for the love of god please add a bind key for mixing! please please please.

So, I looked at the fishing chart on the wiki and one thing popped out at me.    Wurmfish:   Cave..Swim Depth 150-1000.   Is that a typo, oversight, or does it mean this is merely a mythical fish that doesn't exist?  How do you get a swim depth of 150+ in a cave?  Or am I misunderstanding something there? 

edit:  I'm looking forward to the "whole bunch" of QoL adjustments.  I hope this includes an adjustment to how skill is gained and the cat-at-a-mousehole "feature."

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 2

Another fishing question.  Since a point has been made to list a "feed height" on the chart and in the individual fish descriptions (in addition to "swim depth"), I'm wondering what that is supposed to mean to us. Why is that listed?

So far I've not seen any way to control how deep the hook and bait goes once cast.  I was under the impression that the floaters are mandatory.  So if a fish is on the chart as typically a bottom feeder in whichever "swim depth" they prefer, how do we control which of the 3 feed heights we are trying for?  Or is this something out of our control that's just listed for "flavor?"  With the rl ocean fishing I've done, I can't recall ever seeing anyone using a floater. We used "sinkers," and the deeper we wanted to go, the heavier sinker we used. (like for bottom fish like halibut)