Sign in to follow this  
Angelklaine

Troll Camps

An idea for a public event in Wurm would be Troll Camps

The_Hobbit-_An_Unexpected_Journey_Trolls

The concept is simple: Similar in nature to a rift, Troll camps would spawn an encampment in an area that meets the requirements. This encampment would have a small area which contains the actual camp, and a multitude of trolls spawned around it with perhaps a troll chieftain of some sort. The camp would generate trolls just as a den does. Once the Chief is defeated and the encampment cleared, the actual camp would produce a chest with rewards. Rewards could vary from simple random quality crude tools or weapons that cannot be imped to small and rare quantities of moon metal lumps, drake leather or pretty much anything.

This is a concept I believe would give mid tier players or small groups a chance at some low risk/low reward content. The rewards could be tiered to the difficulty if that's a thing, or simply completely random with high quality/rare items having a lower chance to drop. It also requires very minimal design work, as it can use many of the art, mechanics and enemies already present in the game.

Thoughts?

Edit: Troll Chieftain could be a normal troll called Troll Chieftain that has slightly higher stats compared to other trolls similar to a Captain is compared to other tower guards. Furthermore, the chest spawned could be nothing more than the actual tent or campsite hut that can only be opened once all the camp mops are defeated. 

Also thethering the mobs to a specific distance from the map is important as well.

Edited by Angelklaine
  • Like 13

1 minute ago, Retrograde said:

Does wurm need less sandbox content? 

Yes

• Like 1

As long as the Trolls will not step a foot out of these "camps" and they do not damage the surrounding environment as Rifts do I see little problems with this. They shouldn't disrupt the current spawning systems either. Probably best to put some kind of time limit on their duration so they don't tie up a location too long for other desired uses. It would also fit the narrative of them just moving onwards in their vagabondish vacant minded trolling ways.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Retrograde said:

If you said PVE was sandbox you'd be lying through your teeth. Anything that adds a small, tiny bit a challange and interest to the PVE servers will be +1'd be me

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Retrograde said:

I dont see how this makes Wurm less sandboxy. All it does is provide another event type for people to participate and another way to obtain resources similar to chests on Epic an rifts but in lesser quantities and with a bit of a challenge. It works perfectly with sandbox elements in fact, as it doesn't interfere with the local area and gives people another reason to explore.

Seems similar in concept to what I had intended with the post here, except they would be tied with Tracking and more "sandbox-y" rather than random spawns/events.

+1 to either implementation tbh :) 

I would like some more challenging PvE content, but would also like this to be a regular thing not a "rarity" with timezone constraints etc... like the rifts have currently.

If a player wants to go out an hunt troll camps they should be able to! 

Also, I wouldn't limit it to trolls personally, but its a good starting point.

+1 from me!

PS: I had the exact scene from The Hobbit in my mind when I wrote this too :D

Edited by Vaelir

We need the tools to create our own events.

Some sort of API bridge letting us script fun stuff with lua would be a great start.

We totally need something like this, especially now that things are getting dull.

• Like 1

Goblins and Trolls are pretty much intelligent creatures since they have cloth and tools. So instead of mounds they should get better and a proper "camp" they spawn from. Maybe some sort of small palisade fortress 3x3. we would then also have some purpose to use siege weapons on PvE servers.

And the camp should randomly spawn some traps around it as well.

+ make playermade traps work on Trolls/goblins.

Traps working on mobs in PvE would be generally good to make this skill useful here. I can see why it's players-only in PvP because the mobs aren't what the traps are meant for obviously, so just have them function differently depending on the server.

On 1/23/2019 at 12:14 PM, Retrograde said:

Sandbox doesnt mean that the environment must be linear or unresponsive.

Lets say that when 3 or more Trolls are within a short distance from eachother, there will be a small chance of them forming a Troll Camp.

Which will spawn a Chieftan and more trolls.

Or 3 golins that will form a goblin hut.

Or 3 spiders that will form a lair.

And so on.

It could give PvE some meaning as you might want to sweep the local area keep it clear of potential troublemakers.

Edited by griper

Sometimes I dream of vampires in wurm. Vampires are popular.

+1 to the troll camp idea

The Trolls in these camps should all have player names and then I might be ok with at least going to see who has moved in.

=Ayes=