Sign in to follow this  
shamflam

lowering ceiling with concrete

I have another suggestion. Not sure this has been tackled before but now that we can build underground it would be awesome if we could lower the ceiling to match our buildings. I made a 2 story building underground and it annoys me that I ended up with a small gap between the ceiling  and my top walls. Therefore I would like to see the possibility added to lower the ceiling with concrete. It just seems logical since you can raise the floor with concrete aswell.

- flamoush -

Edited by shamflam
  • Like 5

This is a job for a strongwall spell. Although I am personally not completely 100% against it, its something that can be achieved with putting some work into it as is. I am generally against anything that would replace a current available method with an easier one. As such -1.

+1. I have Strongwall, and it's still very hard to get ceilings where you want them.

• Like 1

With standard opened tiles, buildings should match without any gap.

If there is a gap, then it means that earlier, ceiling must have been mined or floor lowered.

Thing is you gotta count juuust right.  Best way to do it is lower the floor to where you want it first,  build a 1x1 wood plank building.... 

Mine ONCE then "level", try planning opening, repeat until you can plan the opening... then level the rest of the ceiling.

For multiple stories, you just need one plank wall and one plank opening per floor you're adding so it's tedious but effective.

S9MCsDa.jpg

Scaffolding.

That said, +1.  One bad keypress could have ruined the whole chamber.  Concrete would have been a handy option.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

This is a job for a strongwall spell. Although I am personally not completely 100% against it, its something that can be achieved with putting some work into it as is. I am generally against anything that would replace a current available method with an easier one. As such -1.

when the building is already up its ot realy an option to use strongwall I think. 

2 hours ago, Wilczan said:

With standard opened tiles, buildings should match without any gap.

If there is a gap, then it means that earlier, ceiling must have been mined or floor lowered.

not if you wanne build a multiple stories minehouse. Yes I raised the ceiling as high as possible before I decided to build. But I dont see a reason why the ceiling cant be lowered again.

Even without any buildings like stated 1 missclick and you ceiling isnt perfect anymore. I bit of concrete would fix that.

50 minutes ago, shamflam said:

when the building is already up its ot realy an option to use strongwall I think. 

Not really. There's really very few things that can't be fixed in Wurm with some effort. In that case all you have to do is blow up the building, strongwall, mine, then rebuild. 

Sure, this is a lot of work, but it can be avoided with proper deed planning. If you make the building before measuring first, then the mistake is yours and not the game mechanics. You can always build a 1x1 to measure the gap, and adjust as necesary, then blow up the 1x1 and start your construction.

So in effect, what you are asking is for an easier way to fix your mistakes. Nothing wrong with  that, really, but if we fixed everything we thought to be hard, then we'd end up without Wurm. 

1 hour ago, Angelklaine said:

Not really. There's really very few things that can't be fixed in Wurm with some effort. In that case all you have to do is blow up the building, strongwall, mine, then rebuild. 

Sure, this is a lot of work, but it can be avoided with proper deed planning. If you make the building before measuring first, then the mistake is yours and not the game mechanics. You can always build a 1x1 to measure the gap, and adjust as necesary, then blow up the 1x1 and start your construction.

So in effect, what you are asking is for an easier way to fix your mistakes. Nothing wrong with  that, really, but if we fixed everything we thought to be hard, then we'd end up without Wurm. 

what about the people that made the mine and decided to build in there later? You know how sometimes ideas for stuff come up at a later stage. And what about the people that have perfected their mines by raising the sealing before it was even possible to build inside a mine? Just saying blow up your building and rebuild is not a valid argument imo. For me it doesnt realy matter since its only a 3x8 but others might have build a realy large stronghold underground and spend months on it. It's not the player's mistake and just fault in the game mechanics and therefore there should be a fix to that. also collapsing such a huge area is not as convenient as you may let it sound ?

Like I state its possible to raise a floor so why not lower the ceiling aswell? it fits perfectly into the lore and wont be that hard for the devs to add. 

its just another way to tweak the estethics of the game and your deed.

• Like 1

Like Mordraug said, when doing a whole, massive chamber, one small slip is all it takes to get one tile off and ruin the whole thing. If ground level is too low above you, there is then no way to fix it by re-leveling it all. Despite strongwall, I really agree that we need this.

+1

31 minutes ago, MordosKull said:

Like Mordraug said, when doing a whole, massive chamber, one small slip is all it takes to get one tile off and ruin the whole thing. If ground level is too low above you, there is then no way to fix it by re-leveling it all. Despite strongwall, I really agree that we need this.

+1

Heh..... actually had to dig on the surface to expose rock to concrete it up a bit .. and slopes were juuuust right that i had to dig a 10x2 trench for that one corner XD 

*agrees*

Concrete should be made to work for leveling ceilings in mines. Same mechanic really as using it to level floors with it in inventory and using the "Level" command.

=Ayes=

+1 Nothing wrong with having several options to fix our dumb mining mistakes. 

Edited by NeeNee

+1.  For all the reasons others have stated.

In addition, this would also help to counter the problem with trying to level ceilings in places where the game decides to "unlevel" the one you're standing under and then you can't re-level it again because "you are unable to reach that," and ruining the entire section beyond that as there's no way to proceed.  Even collapsing and remining in those cases is sometimes a wasted effort even if you're lucky enough to either have or hire a priest that can collapse, or lucky enough to be able to afford a bunch of those goodies the traders sell for collapsing tiles.

Only argument I could see against this would be that of gravity, as much as I hate to say it..  We already can't use concrete on crazy slopes.   However, making a thicker type of concrete maybe could satisfy realism concerns. It's certainly done in real life :)