Sign in to follow this  
Firecat

Remove /who from PvP servers

the /who command is one of the easiest things to fix and got mentioned a lot of times, i def feel like its about time to remove it yes

first thing you do when you login is look at the server numbers and go from there, remove that part of meta gaming, but do it properly this time please, not like on elevation

+1

• Like 2

+1 realy would like to only know what Allies i have online.

should not be able to know if my enemies is planning a trap on me or not just by following the numbers.

i think having to spend hours logging off people one by one just to make a trap possible is stupid so +1

I rather pvp be more challenging personally so I think they should remove local from chaos and /who.

+1

• Like 2

After this WU hype is over, nobody but TC will leave deed when they can't see how many others are online. 

And what would be the point if we can just go view this?

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

And what would be the point if we can just go view this?

make the data displayed for pvp servers there not be displayed.

How do you think gameplay will be better by removing this?

if people would let kingdom rivalry out of this topic, we would all agree

but let me elaborate on how /who or any other form of playercounter is counterproductive to a healthy pvp server

if timmy logs in and wants to go out roaming or looking for a kill, but he sees that 80% of the server isnt in his kingdom and the serverpop is unusually high for the time of the day, he will just sit on deed and imp up his chain barding or pop over to epic to complete one of his alts personal goals instead

bobby on the other hand sees that his kingdom literally has 80% of the current serverpopulation online and guess what, he will also sit on deed and do nothing to create pvp cause he knows if their numbers are so overwhelming no one will bother to roam

explain why /who is needed, thanks

• Like 3

+1

because a different color and font size makes my vote matter more

Edited by platinumteef
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Quicktor said:

but let me elaborate on how /who or any other form of playercounter is counterproductive to a healthy pvp server

if timmy logs in and wants to go out roaming or looking for a kill, but he sees that 80% of the server isnt in his kingdom and the serverpop is unusually high for the time of the day, he will just sit on deed and imp up his chain barding or pop over to epic to complete one of his alts personal goals instead

bobby on the other hand sees that his kingdom literally has 80% of the current serverpopulation online and guess what, he will also sit on deed and do nothing to create pvp cause he knows if their numbers are so overwhelming no one will bother to roam

I have to agree a lot of people are just upset with the recent events maybe? I personally think this a good thread maybe just bad timing for it. The meta-gamy aspects of pvp are biggest reason why no one hardly plays on chaos and it's difficult to recruit new players. Things like /who and local and hell even locate spell should be removed. The current pvp game mechanics become super easy to metagame because of these tools. It actively prevents roaming because people spam locates when the population rises above 50.

Let's take a look at Rust or Pubg, sound effects should be the only tool you have against possible pvp in any scenario.

The best pvp is facing the unknown and the rush of that imho.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Quicktor said:

with no who command timmy and bobby are too scared to go out roaming because they have no idea how many enemy there might be.

with who, if numbers are equal they might go off deed.

• Like 1

+1, remove the training wheels, /who is a crutch to some, I dont however see it changing any game play drastically at all so why not.

Edited by Threap

What about the scenario where Timmy logs in and wants to go out roaming, can't see that 80% of the server isn't in his kingdom, but feels this is the case anyway and stays on deed imping his chain barding?

This will be the case more often than not, for all kingdoms, unless they can clearly see their kingdom has overwhelming numbers, with several players willing to go out roaming with them. This change will do nothing for the smaller kingdoms as far as getting them off deed, and will only kill PvP more. But hey, go ahead and give it a go and we'll find out the hard way! 

• Like 1

well i know that /who bots being used on discord servers nowadays just destroys the game and doesnt work for any kind of gameplay other than steamrolling, you will know what the enemy kingdoms numbers are 100% of the time, unless you logout, which shouldnt be an aspect of gameplay...

logging out just to conceal a trap or whatever cause you can read it off of playercount is just stupid

to say that people wouldnt go out at all is too, since without /who even small kingdoms can pull traps or likewise contest certain areas without getting caught immediatly, but lets find out the hard way!

• Like 1

people defending mechanics that force them to logout to get pvp has always been hilarious

Edited by platinumteef
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Quicktor said:

well i know that /who bots being used on discord servers nowadays just destroys the game and doesnt work for any kind of gameplay other than steamrolling, you will know what the enemy kingdoms numbers are 100% of the time, unless you logout, which shouldnt be an aspect of gameplay...

logging out just to conceal a trap or whatever cause you can read it off of playercount is just stupid

to say that people wouldnt go out at all is too, since without /who even small kingdoms can pull traps or likewise contest certain areas without getting caught immediatly, but lets find out the hard way!

Pls show me where I stated that people wouldn't go out 'at all'. Of course some people will still roam, as they do now, but the bigger kingdom(s) will see less action than they do now. 

Also, fwiw smaller kingdoms can still pull traps/contest certain areas without getting caught immediately with /who. Your very kingdom had done it before it's numbers were bolstered. 

3 hours ago, Firecat said:

make the data displayed for pvp servers there not be displayed.

You'd have to amend this to the suggestion then, simply removing a command won't remove the generated stats page. Strike through my comment as he altered his reply leaving my response here confusing.

Edited by Nomadikhan

29 minutes ago, Niki said:

sound effects should be the only tool you have against possible pvp in any scenario

I don't have any opinion to give on /who as it's not going to change anything and only opens up more loopholes that need to be plugged to have any effect and it ultimately boils down to player mentality, but as I always say every time this comes up, having it purely based on sounds is really bad.  Aside from the obvious where people play with sounds off or listen to music, some people like myself don't hear as well as other people do so it would pretty much solidify never returning to pvp in wurm ever.  Shouldn't need to turn my sound up to 11 so passing a crocodile causes it to growl and burst my ear drums in order to pvp

• Like 3