Sign in to follow this  
reasons

New Fishing System Advice Wanted

So I've been trying to catch fish using the new fishing system, as one of my personal goals still to complete is to catch 1000 fish.  This now seems totally impossible, so does anyone have any advice on what I'm doing wrong here.

Testing done over the past 2 days includes:

Nets from coastal spots, fished using nets for 2 hours straight, only caught clams, and only got 8x clams in total over the 2 hours. Zero small fish caught at all... how is this possible?

Then decided to try out rods, with floats, bait etc. This time I did about 3 hours testing, from shore, from a boat, and out in the 'deep' sea. In the 3 hours I only caught a total of 10x fish, all herrings (everything else jumped the hook). Tested various baits (wurms, grubs, corn kernels) and floats (bark, feather). Used a standard rod and line, or whatever you get when upgrade the old rods.

So in 5 hours of playing about fishing, I caught 10 small herrings using a rods, and 8x clams using a net.

Fishing skill is 28 something...

Can anyone advise what I'm doing wrong please?

Have checked on wiki and read some posts here on the forum, but there's very little info on the fishing process that actually makes sense. I understand this is a new system/update and players are meant to discover things themselves, but this can't be how it's meant to function, surely?

Thanks for any advice...

Reasons

Edited by reasons
added fishing skill

I haven't done a ton of fishing, but I caught a decent amount of tiny fish (1-3 each timer) with a net in shallow ocean and pond waters. You might have been in too deep of water to catch anything but clams? 

If you're only catching a few clams when you're using a fishing net, and no actual fish, then it's definitely that you're fishing in 'salt water' with a deep drop-off from shore.

This has been noted in a previous thread I'd contributed to where clams were the only catch that I was getting at my dock on the northnortheast shore of Independance.

What you need to do with the fishing net is try to find some very shallow water, ideally a freshwater lake or a cave canal.  The cave canal lets you catch minnows with a net (that's about the only way to catch a minnow, really).  To pull in bunches of actual fish, the best place for fishing with a fishing net is a freshwater lake (not the big ocean that surrounds the continents or its bays) or a reasonably-sized pond.  From my experience, you tend to catch alot of perch, bream, and sardines with a fishing net in those places.

Note about the catches:  What I described above with the sardines, bream, and perch was with a fishing skill of about 16-17 in a shallow freshwater lake.  2-3 fish per cast of the net.

Edited by Tristanc

Thanks both, will try shallower water later today. Hopefully that is the issue, fingers crossed. It was fairly deep at the coastline I was on, certainly swimming depth.

I had caught (according to my logs) about 65 fish before the new fishing system (it must have been 17 more due to the number of fish caught until completing the goal). I had one digit fishing skill. That is because I spawned in a landlocked city and went to the lakes and sea for sailing rather than for fishing.

I started fishing with the net at a sand shore which is initially quite flat (to allow disembarking without climbing) but dropping steeply after 1 tile. I used 5 fishing nets allowing me setting up all 5 actions i can set up with 48 ML. That also allows for bit of semi afk, always emptying the nets then starting from top.

I got the 1k goal within a couple of hours, the yield per net action was between 1 and 4 small fish, sometimes none but rarely. Caught 16 clams altogether, two of them with pearls. Ah yes, fishing skill is now 15.56 .

Edited by Ekcin
addendum

Happy to report that the issues I experience were indeed the depth of the water, works much better in shallower water. Thanks for the prompt replies

• Like 2

And how do you fish with a fishing pole? We tried several times (it took us some attempts to realize you have to click, when the target appears, to actually start fishing, although the timer is already running... totally unintuitive), but only get several random messages and nothing happens. Someone wrote something about clicking the fish, but I guess it was a joke, as they're just water tile decorations, right?

Edited by Devean

13 hours ago, Devean said:

And how do you fish with a fishing pole? We tried several times (it took us some attempts to realize you have to click, when the target appears, to actually start fishing, although the timer is already running... totally unintuitive), but only get several random messages and nothing happens. Someone wrote something about clicking the fish, but I guess it was a joke, as they're just water tile decorations, right?

• Right click -> fish 
  • Select/click a tile in the water, indicated by the white target, keep mouse pointer near the float/tile
  • Watch and wait for a fish to swim to the bait, you get a nibble message in event
  • Click the float/fish (within a few seconds of the nibble message) and you will attempt to hook it (I'm assuming a skill check happens)
  • Succeed with the random roll and the skillcheck and you've hooked the fish
  • Then watch as it attempts to be reeled in (another random roll, and skill checks?)
  • Success gets you the fish, failure loses the fish (and can sometimes lose your line with hook and float too)

Various floats and baits are likely to improve chances to catch I'm assuming too.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the description. It does sound overly and totally unnecessarily complicated. I hate seeing Wurm turn to an arcade game like Super Mario Bros...

• Like 3

I take my words back. I definitely prefer Mario to the new fishing system :).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Devean said:

I take my words back. I definitely prefer Mario to the new fishing system :).

Honestly couldn't agree more. I think a lot of people prefer to do other things after they realized how stressful it is. They likely haven't touched it since.

It's sad but at least we have chicken coops now. 

• Like 2

The developers' idea of engagement seems to be "adding more useless clicks", and the result is a bit like a clingy significant other:

Wurm: "You just queued up some actions. You're not watching youtube, are you?"

Me: "Well, there was this interesting link someone posted..."

Wurm: "It wasn't Atlas, was it?"

Me: "..."

Wurm: "I knew it! You two-timer: I want you paying attention to -me-."

Me: *clicks a few times*

Wurm: "You just refilled a queue. I need your -eyeballs-. All. The. Time."

Wurm: "I know: I'll make you click more often. Then you'll -have- to pay attention to me."

Me: "..."

• Like 4