Sign in to follow this  
kochinac

Ideas for Electrum runes

We got electrum as hardest alloy to get but strangely enough it doesn't excell at anything compared to other easier materials (silver weapon is beter choice over it, gold pendulums are better choice, steel tools, etc). My suggestion to fix that and give more reason to make electrum expecially the high quality one would be to introduce new useful cool runes.

• Strongwall(spell) - i think Magranon would be appropiate for obvious reason for all of us in need of collapsing one or two tiles but can't find priest willing to travel or don't want to bother with human interaction at all 
  • 10% increased size - not sure how overpowered it would be but i noticed we have only 5% version, would be cool to have full version for extra storage(maybe it can help more containers for pesky things like pelts, tall banners, etc), probably Vyn would be appropiate god for this by method of elimination and streched association with other storage related runes of her
  • 10% damage dealt to opponent(or some variant with chance of critical, chance aplying internal/poison wound) - we are lacking some pure weapon specific runes i gues Libila would be in order for that
  • 10% chance to land better enchant with statue - does glimmer skill check already do this? If it seems op maybe rotate with addy rune of random color to be electrum and this one to be addy, or alternativly if skill check already does this rotate 5/10% shatter/enchant succes from seryll(i doubt somebody would waste seryll for meere 5% of shatter protection) and introduce something better for seryll

I admit i stretched myself quite a bit to think what missing and is not op compared to other runes so any other suggestions are most welcomed. But i do belive we need some more work in Rune area :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Etherdrifter said:

-1 to strongwall

+1 to the rest

Heh, I knew you would -1 strongwall. 

But we have other utility spell runes already. It's still better to use priests for major tunnel reworks etc. Nobody sane would blow up pile of  rift mats he could use for other runes just to rework his deed or some other major area. I just don't see the need to be oposed to alternative for people, we shouldn't be able to complicate everything with priests in order to collapse one tile where we made mistake.

I understand you have need to fight for priest exclusivity but imo you often can be blinded by that notion.

4 hours ago, kochinac said:

But i do belive we need some more work in Rune area

I believe this too. Runes are a very good and interesting addition to the game, but insufficiently thought through.

Some of the runes make me ask, has anyone actually used them for other than "I just want to try"?

Most of the spell runes (morning fog, mole senses, sunder) and split bonus runes (% and %) in my eyes are not worth to spend the materials or money on.

If I have the options of 10% gathering bonus or 5% gathering bonus with a slightly increased improvement rate on my sickle, then why would I choose the latter? I can see the idea behind this, but the improvement bonus does not make up for the 5% gathering lost. Not to mention, a rune with 5% gathering bonus and OK glow.. why?

The spell runes look like they were put in simply to "fill a slot" - out of good ideas so let's just make a rune that gives me a Light token ??

With the scavenger runes introduced by archaeology we can now have multi-runed items. However, in my experience, 95% of restored items have useless runes (I've already ranted about it somewhere).

But why are players limited to one rune per item?

I would really like the whole rune system to be overhauled before it becomes too big of a mess to fix later, instead of casually adding new (random) options.

Edited by Shmeric
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, kochinac said:

Heh, I knew you would -1 strongwall. 

But we have other utility spell runes already. It's still better to use priests for major tunnel reworks etc. Nobody sane would blow up pile of  rift mats he could use for other runes just to rework his deed or some other major area. I just don't see the need to be oposed to alternative for people, we shouldn't be able to complicate everything with priests in order to collapse one tile where we made mistake.

I understand you have need to fight for priest exclusivity but imo you often can be blinded by that notion.

Speaking as someone who would benefit from strong wall runes (fo priest!), I am thinking more of those poor mag priests out there without an easy way to earn their item imps.

Here is a fun idea, why not give priests spells that replicate rune effects?  Give us an alternative to runes ;)

We need a rune to remove neutral traits (tough bugger, keen senses, spark etc) from animals.

I agree with the OP that weapons for runes would be nice.

Strongwall is a priest spell, shouldn't be made into runes.

2 hours ago, Shmeric said:

Some of the runes make me ask, has anyone actually used them for other than "I just want to try"?

Most of the spell runes (morning fog, mole senses, sunder) and split bonus runes (% and %) in my eyes are not worth to spend the materials or money on.

If I have the options of 10% gathering bonus or 5% gathering bonus with a slightly increased improvement rate on my sickle, then why would I choose the latter? I can see the idea behind this, but the improvement bonus does not make up for the 5% gathering lost. Not to mention, a rune with 5% gathering bonus and OK glow.. why?

With the scavenger runes introduced by archaeology we can now have multi-runed items. However, in my experience, 95% of restored items have useless runes (I've already ranted about it somewhere).

Those are my thoughts also on current system. Some of combinations doesn't make much sense. Overall we use maybe 30% of runes and others are never to be considered into using. Or they are not worth investing, wooden burn longer rune for example, imo it's worth to use it maybe just on rare/supreme pile... Seryll ones are just not worth blowing up seryll on them. Random color rune is it really worth 0.2kg of addy + fails? If we could atleast know which color it is before applying so we can trade it. 99% restoration runes combo is just ######, if we could atleast still get tool with 2-3 slots from it where we can replace one of the shitty runes or both on that item it would be something. Also lot of runes we could maybe use from archeology are on wrong tools (chance to reuse them would be nice)

+1 to general idea. Would also love more information on what runes actually -do- (how useful really is that 10% enchant success rune?).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

Here is a fun idea, why not give priests spells that replicate rune effects?  Give us an alternative to runes ;)

Sure, I'm all for it. Fo having spell equal to revert age rune would be cool imo. Not sure what else, maybe glow spell for mag, or light token to act as glow when casted on jewelry. I think it would be fair balance. If you come with something else feel free to suggest.

• Like 1