Sign in to follow this  
Thorinoakshield

Reworks of Darq Canal

Last week I discovered a lot of changes in Darq Canal, which meant the tunnel woudn't be available for road traffic anymore. It took me a bit to find out who's behind it and why that person decided to do that.

Took a bit longer to let the dust settle down, but now it is, we've decided to join forces and turn it into a public project instead.

The main idea is three fold right now:

1) To remove the iron and copper veins which are blocking free passage right now. Zig-zagging can be fun, but not when sailing in a tunnel. :(

2) To mine out the center tile of the tunnel to maximum depth making sure the tunnel becomes a canal with access to all ships. Also means the entrance at the both sides will have its landbridge being removed.
Since the East side of the  tunnel already has a bridge near the opening, adding a bridge to the west side is an option.

Widening all boat entrances to 3 wide is another option that will be considered.

3) Adding a new tunnel at the north side so road traffic can continue as it was. The tunnel will most likely be two wide, with two tile wide entrances as well.

4) Final step I leave for Ajblack to take care off and tell us about it when time's right.

For any info, people can contact me or Ajblack.

Thorin :)

Edited by Thorinoakshield
Chanced text in better English.
  • Like 2

Looking forward to working together with Thorin on the improvements of the tunnel to make it as pretty and useful as possible. :) 

• Like 1

west entrance is not a big deal if we talk about bridge there, it can be carved in a mountain above entrance, i had plans to do road there to the north but its moved in time, and there was tunnel made but 1 tile wide only, as well i know from some sources guys from Oakheart are going to connect to the lake with a tuunel, just not sure how far they are with works so i decided to skip that road project for now

Exciting stuff! Super glad you guys are working together on this.  Wurm is such a fantastic community.

• Like 1

I'll help. 

The last canal was fun, and this one is right on my doorstep.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ajala said:

I'll help. 

The last canal was fun, and this one is right on my doorstep.

Welcome on the team. You sure you got enough free time until Christmas 2031? :D

• Like 1

I'm in no hurry. If I'm going to try to raise my mining skill anyway, it may as well be in a good cause.

• Like 1

I forget if you have a 90+ prospector over there. We should be able to sort something out, now we have 'Summon Soul', if you need some prospecting done down there.

1 hour ago, Wulfmaer said:

I forget if you have a 90+ prospector over there. We should be able to sort something out, now we have 'Summon Soul', if you need some prospecting done down there.

I can summon if required!

I will be bringing my mining alt over this weekend to help clear out some veins. are there any lib altars in there so i can do my prayings aswell?

I've mined 2.5k out of the 47ql copper vein. Still hasn't popped. I guess I'll keep coming back until it does.

I just noticed that quite a lot of the floor of the tunnel has already been mined down, before the ceiling was raised.

I think this means players sailing the larger boats will probably have their heads trapped in the ceiling when attempting to pass through the canal.

Unless Thorin knows better, I'd say it's going to take a tonne of concrete to fix this.

About one month in the project and I've decided to step out of it.

The main reason: Nothing happens.

I do know Ajala has been mining a copper vein and took quite some ores out of it.

I do know Shamflam has been working at his deed as well as creating the required amount of large crates.

I do know that my mining alt has been removing an iron vein and is close to removing another one.

That's it. No updates about what happens at the eastern side of the canal - and in particular the area under the bridge; which needs to be dredged to maximum depth; and the tunnel entrance; will it remain as it is or will it be a 3 wide entrance? In fact, the several times I've been sailing through that part of the canal to work with another char at another tunnel project, there wasn't even anyobody there!!

There is no update about Ajala's comment about the ceiling over here as well.

Nothing!!!

I - as well as some others - got screwed sideways with the Fraggle Rock Canal project when the one coming up with the idea used the ones willing to help, and I have decided it won't happen to me a second time.

If a combined effort means one player does all the job, the planning, the contacting etc, then it's not for me. Because that isn't a combined effort, it's a solo project.

I will continue removing the veins, but don't expect me to do anything on the floor, ceiling or road  tunnel. That's all for Ajblack now. As well as the planning, the gathering of materials, the recruiting etc.

As for Ajala's comment about the ceiling;

she's right. That entire part is screwed up. (and it shows she has learned a lot from her time at the Fraggle Rock Canal project. :D )

If the floors and ceilings will remain as they are right now, anyone sailing a ship larger as a knarr will have his / her head clip through the ceiling.

Right now the only solution for that, is to ditch all that's mined out by either using concrete or collapsing tiles and remining them.

Either way will be a time consuming and costly operation and one I'm not going to join in the first place.

I wish anyone who wants to join this project the best of luck, but be warned: the way things are going now, you're on your own.

Thorin :(

Thorin, there may be more tunnel projects in the moment than there are volunteers. A couple of players are busy in their own projects. It is not a matter of all times though. I would ask you not to be too disappointed, just let it rest a few months just slowly going on for some time. And thank you for all your work.

What Ajalaa and you describe about ceiling height sounds not good. How many tiles are affected?

• Like 1

i've been working in that tunnel many many months more years, almost no one was there, every few months someone was coming in with some ideas about tunnel but no one wanted to remove over 140 veins;p

5 hours ago, Ekcin said:

Thorin, there may be more tunnel projects in the moment than there are volunteers. A couple of players are busy in their own projects. It is not a matter of all times though. I would ask you not to be too disappointed, just let it rest a few months just slowly going on for some time. And thank you for all your work.

I'm afraid you misunderstood, Ekcin.

This project was set up in coorporation with someone; yet that someone has never shown up after we agreed to work at this together; while at the same time when we made the agreement, that someone was highly enthusiastic about the coorporation.

I too got my own projects, however, I still found the time to send one of my alts to Darq canal to work at something I had agree to work at. My whole point is, if you agree to do something together, I expect it to do it together and not alone for a month without hearing a single word.

5 hours ago, Ekcin said:

What Ajalaa and you describe about ceiling height sounds not good. How many tiles are affected?

About one third of the tunnel counted from the eastern side. My guess about 100 -150 tiles.

5 hours ago, Qdlaty said:

i've been working in that tunnel many many months more years, almost no one was there, every few months someone was coming in with some ideas about tunnel but no one wanted to remove over 140 veins;p

Yeah, but when you did, no-one knew about it in the first place. When I found out, I went out there to help you, even without you asking me. But I did tell you I was sending over an alt to help you mining those veins and that's what I did and still do.

And it's what I will remain doing, until  the veins are gone or until I'm unable to mine them because of deed rights. But tunnel improvements................. no way.

I've prem'ed 3 alts to be down there when I play, mining, prepping support beams, and destroying part of my deed to make this happen. You can't say nothing is happening just because you aren't around 24/7 to supervise, Thorin. It's offensive to those actually working on it, and that's not just me. It's an eternal tunnel, this one, and it's going to take time. People are going to take breaks from it, people are going to join, some people are going to stop. I'm in for the long haul, and I'll fix what needs to be fixed to make it awesome. 

As for deed perms, if anyone needs perms to mine on one of my deeds, that can be arranged :) Just let me know! Can't know without you telling me. 

• Like 2