Sign in to follow this  
Dumbo

In-game CA Help improvements

Being ignored because an answer is not known, it's not a very nice way of going about things... this, unfortunately, is what appears to be happening when the 'too hard basket' appears.

Can we please have some form of page here on the forums, where the CA Help admins can post questions they do not know the answer to? One where the combined knowledge can be sought, and where those who don't know gain that extra little piece? Simply being ignored is not a nice feeling, especially if you are a new player. This might be the single reason you do not stay.

A form message can even be pasted from the CA Help admin: "I'm sorry, I do not know the answer to that. I have posted this question to the CA Help Q&A page on the forums - http://..... - to be answered. Please monitor this page for the outcome"

I know that this is more than likely a "less than 5%" item, but it's still important for knowledge retention and transfer.

It's only a small thing - maybe with a larger admin overhead that I am unaware of - which may assist with player knowledge and retention. It certainly beats silence.

Dumbo.

imo, if you become a CA helper you should know the answer to every reasonable question someone would come up with. If not, you don't deserve that position

32 minutes ago, Dumbo said:

Can we please have some form of page here on the forums, where the CA Help admins can post questions they do not know the answer to? One where the combined knowledge can be sought, and where those who don't know gain that extra little piece? Simply being ignored is not a nice feeling, especially if you are a new player. This might be the single reason you do not stay.

A form message can even be pasted from the CA Help admin: "I'm sorry, I do not know the answer to that. I have posted this question to the CA Help Q&A page on the forums - http://..... - to be answered. Please monitor this page for the outcome"

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/forum/40-community-assistance/

It would be a bit much to expect every CA+ to post every question they cannot answer, and would take them away from the help channel which would cause questions to actually get missed.  It's the same way GMs/Devs expect players to post their bugs on the forums, rather than having staff copy/paste support ticket bug reports taking them away from players that need ingame help.

27 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

imo, if you become a CA helper you should know the answer to every reasonable question someone would come up with. If not, you don't deserve that position

I may be incorrect but I do not believe our internal criteria for hiring a CA requires them to fail at least 5 captchas to prove they are indeed robots

• Like 5

You do realize that all these CA and GM are unpaid volunteers.   They stop their gameplay to help players as best they can.  Sometimes there just are not answers for soem questions. People do the best they can. 

• Like 2

I get your point Dumbo, but I also see many in CA Help reply with something along the lines of "I dont know" or "Im not sure". This then relates to differing communication styles, regional influences, distractions, and more. Some also say "thank you" and "youre welcome", while others do not and intend nothing rude by it.

To be fair, many official CA help workers frequently do extra work behind the scenes to acquire requested info on the spot. To Lolabelle's point as well, not all, but most help given there is simply unpaid, community-based helpfulness.

In the spirit of follow-up though, maybe start a thread somewhere in forums along the lines of "Unanswered CA Help Questions" or something like that. I bet plenty of folks would participate in follow-up q&a for those remaining, unanswered questions that occur here and there. Dont be afraid to take advantage of the wide array of community tools here too :)

What is also forgotten is that the CA Help tab isn't the exclusive domain of staff, the name is "Community Assistance" meaning that it is a place for everyone to chip in their knowledge, and it is not in any way expected that CA's answer every single question that pops up. As has been said, CA's are just players who volunteer extra time to help people, meaning they are in no way required to answer every question(they could also be AFK as well), and it is also entirely unreasonable that every CA should know every answer.

3 hours ago, Gladiator said:

I am unsure you know the scope and breadth of what could be considered a "reasonable" question. With constant new content, changes, and reworks to the game, it is incredibly challenging to stay up to date, let alone know every answer to "reasonable" questions.

• Like 1