Sign in to follow this  
kochinac

Increase minimum capacity of source springs

A.K.A. I have most ridiculous source spring nearby my place which can only hold 0.03kg. It fills up in 2 days aprox and after that you can leave it for weeks but maximum amount in it is 0.03kg which makes me to go to it every other day to drain which is very tiresome. Please increase minimum capacity to atleast 1kg. 

Or there is no such thing as minimum capacity and spring is bugged?

I believe it was a response to people walling off source springs so they could collect and sell huge amounts. You used to be able to go around and put 1x1 houses around a bunch of source springs then check them very rarely to get large quantities of source for sale.

With the new system it's not worthwhile to claim a source spring unless it's in a place you visit on a near-daily basis. I really wish they would make it revert back to the old system if the spring is on deed though as it's just far less tedious. I can understand why a 1x1 shack is cheesy but if you're willing to put down a deed on a spring then that's a different level of commitment.

• Like 2

Remove the max capacity(or increase it) of source springs, but make it disappear, when someone empties it. Also after certain (random) time it autodisappears(to prevent someone "claiming" it by not emptying it). After it disappears, it respawns at random location on server.

This way the source springs wouldn't be static source dispensers, but random "loot" you find during your exploration.. while also promoting exploration.

• Like 6

I haven't had the chance to check anyother source spring recently but it's the first to me I see such low capacity, others could hold much more.

It seems like rather bad solution for preventing people in walling. Walling per se is nothing wrong, you find spring you claim it, what is wrong is minimum effort once you wall it and lack of chance for others to join in. Once you build stone house over it you don't have to repair it for quite some time. 

More fair solution would be them to spawn randomly on map and last for couple of months (examine would give information about that time). This would encourage exploration, give equal chance to everyone, and prevent people from walling in forever.

I agree. I feel like the new system makes them worthless. I had a source spring on deed for awhile and sometimes I would forget to check it. The quantities I was getting were so small it was easy to forget I had one right there. A worthwhile amount that went by either of your suggestions (one drain empties it and then it appears somewhere else, or you could wall it in for a month or two) would make me start caring about source springs again. As is when I see one, I get a level of excitement roughly equal to finding a 5c piece while foraging. In other words, it's nice but for the most part I don't care.

• Like 1

The best option : If the spring is on a deed, or is within 10 tiles of a building/minedoor/gate, it uses the 0.03 maximum.  Otherwise, it uses the old format.

This means that unwalled/deeded/gated springs will produce more source, but you'll need to check them more often.

That way the devs prevent the abuse they were seeking to prevent, while allowing honest travellers to find full source springs.

Optional Extra : Make it impossible to have a source spring in a house offdeed.  Any existing offdeed house with a source spring in it suffers a 1000% decay rate (10x), as well as any house with a spring in it whose deed expires.

Easy option would be if they are emptied and make it so if you drink or drag to container it will go empty the source fountain(if you have a smaller container than the source that is in the source fountain it will just go lost)and it will disepear and spawn in random place. This way it will make it a + for roamers or people hunting and discovering. No point to put a house on top of one which will go empty the moment you touch (or well even if you keep it in years for a bigger outcome well who cares) most will still be changing and around for other people. 

Edited by Wulfgarr
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Wulfgarr said:

Easy option would be if they are emptied and make it so if you drink or drag to container it will go empty the source fountain(if you have a smaller container than the source that is in the source fountain it will just go lost)and it will disepear and spawn in random place. This way it will make it a + for roamers or people hunting and discovering. No point to put a house on top of one which will go empty the moment you touch (or well even if you keep it in years for a bigger outcome well who cares) most will still be changing and around for other people. 

I am more for the middle ground solution. I don't like idea of spring dissapering the moment you drag from it, as I like how it slowly fills, I like how when you find one, how you can empty it or make extra effort and build house over it and wait for the result and have to go back to that place.Just don't think you should be able to hold it forever once you found it. That way I think they should spawn empty and have timer how long they will last (from couple months to maybe a year). Once timer is up if no-one claimed source inside it will go to waste and spring will spawn empty on another place.

I'm quite glad they have been reduced, and were done so due to loot grab monetization.  These setups hardly ever foster a good community asset feel as they are then hoarded by a few to profit. I like a combination of eldurian and Rixk's suggestions.  Some play the game as and exploration, crafting, skilling game that it's intended for others play it as merchants that coin over n over again and although it's ok to take on that role it often leads to bad community outcomes when like dragon drama, why the source was even changed, tome changes.  These are changed for that very solid reason of the negative impact to player and market.  This is not meant to be any affront to the OP or any other merchant, but more talking about what has been over time and why changes to those things have occured..they weren't good as they were.

29 minutes ago, Bloodscythe said:

I'm quite glad they have been reduced, and were done so due to loot grab monetization.  These setups hardly ever foster a good community asset feel as they are then hoarded by a few to profit. I like a combination of eldurian and Rixk's suggestions.  Some play the game as and exploration, crafting, skilling game that it's intended for others play it as merchants that coin over n over again and although it's ok to take on that role it often leads to bad community outcomes when like dragon drama, why the source was even changed, tome changes.  These are changed for that very solid reason of the negative impact to player and market.  This is not meant to be any affront to the OP or any other merchant, but more talking about what has been over time and why changes to those things have occured..they weren't good as they were.

I can still build stone house over it, park alt with barrel there and drain every 2 days, it's a bit of hastle yeah but thats just still a few minute chore a day, also pretty sure there are springs in the world that hold much more than 0.03kg.

Untill they start to change location and spawn randomly over time nothing is changed for the better.

Perhaps I should edit title and OP

I took out of source spring like 1.3 liters, maybe a month ago or so. And 0.10 just few days ago from a different place

I found a spring on xanadu, in a forest, that had over 1kg in it a few months ago. When was that change made ?

I support any change that will remove the 1x1 lame buildings around springs and fountains that people keep building. I would be happy with something that would make any building or fence in a certain tile range from them to have huge decay (except on deed of course), so we can still keep the increasing amount of source in them..

Edited by faty

11 minutes ago, faty said:

I found a spring on xanadu, in a forest, that had over 1kg in it a few months ago. When was that change made ?

I support any change that will remove the 1x1 lame buildings around springs and fountains that people keep building. I would be happy with something that would make any building or fence in a certain tile range from them to have huge decay (except on deed of course), so we can still keep the increasing amount of source in them..

I think couple years ago they nerfed how quick they fill bit didn't know anything about capacity untill I stumbled upon this one. Like I said in every comment I think they need serious rework. But seriously while that change happen having 0.03 kg capacity spring is ridiculous xD