Sign in to follow this  
Elenonia

[No Bug] Fishing rod Lost COC enchantment on upgrade

"Legacy fishing rod

If the fishing rod does not contain an empty fishing reel slot, it is a legacy version. It will not work for fishing, you need to upgrade it with right-click > Upgrade.

Doing so will turn it into a fishing pole with a basic fishing line and wooden fishing hook.

Any enchantments on the rod will transfer to the upgraded pole.

A legacy fishing rod's examine text reads: A long pole with a string and a hook made of wood and a small stone as a sink."

My hubby's fishing rod was upgraded tonight but before I upgraded I viewed and copied down the message *  [22:04:06] Circle of Cunning has been cast on it, so it will increase skill gained with it when used. [93] * Right after we added the willow shaft to it to complete the upgrade to a rod with reel, it no longer had the enchantment on it.  We both expected to see the coc still in place but it is not.  Also, unless we are doing something completely wrong there is something wrong with the fishing we each only caught one fish and could not duplicate the success I even went back and tried different places and only caught one fish hours into that, only catching one single fish it seems that it has gotten much harder even when we were clicking on the bobbers it wouldn't do anything the fish would run on the line until the timer was don and it would get away if we landed one on the line that is... lucky we got 2 all together in that time.

• Like 1

I still have no replies on this topic, I really need to know what to do here, did we just lose 2s on the loss of the coc? I was told by the person replying in the game on the ticket that I should put it here so I did.

Pretty much that seems the system now. The "old" rods are now basically components to build yourself a new rod. So rarity, enchantments, not sure if they are going to be preserved. They weren't preserved for me either when i used a legacy rod to craft a new one. 

The rarity will transfer over to the new rods. Just make sure you use the correct wood type (willow) shaft when upgrading from a pole to a rod.

I think the problem here may be that the term 'upgrade' is confusing people.  I didn't use the original pole as a component for a new pole.  Instead I used right-click upgrade to turn my old rod into a new pole.

Here is what I did to confirm that rarity and enchants transfer over:

Original fine fishing rod:

[08:02:29] A long pole with a string and a hook made of iron. This is a very rare and interesting version of the item. It is made from pinewood.
[08:02:29] Circle of Cunning has been cast on it, so it will increase skill gained with it when used. [73]

The image below shows it in my inventory with the right click 'upgrade' option:

Spoiler

Gh9YoLr.jpg

The examine of the same item after right clicking 'upgrade':

[08:02:52] A thin shaft that could be used to fish with. It is made from pinewood. It could be improved with a log. The pole has a basic fishing line attached to the end of it. The line requires a float to be able to be used for fishing. There is a metal fishing hook on the end of the line. There is no bait, but then again some fish like that! This is a very rare and interesting version of the item.

[08:02:52] Circle of Cunning has been cast on it, so it will increase skill gained with it when used. [73]

Image of the 'upgraded' fishing pole:

Spoiler

I5Tph2Y.jpg

Thank you all for your replies.  I had upgraded the pole with the button as it told us to do. CoC did transfer to that pole... the POLE was not rare in any way just enchanted and that enchant did not transfer once the willow shaft was added.  I guess I just need to get another one build for him because it broke that one no COC on it at all now.

I just tryed to upgrade my fishing pole, to be able to fish, i had a Rare 96 ql willow fishing pole with a 96 coc cast, used a wolliw shaft on it and now i have a NON rare, NON casted 29.33 ql fishing rod.... go figure

The rarity is absolutely supposed to transfer. The QL and CoC won't, unfortunately, but you should definitely have a rare fishing rod.

1 hour ago, Ninjarubberduck said:

I just tryed to upgrade my fishing pole, to be able to fish, i had a Rare 96 ql willow fishing pole with a 96 coc cast, used a wolliw shaft on it and now i have a NON rare, NON casted 29.33 ql fishing rod.... go figure

Again, I think the confusing here is the word UPGRADE.

If you right click your old pole and look at the context menu, you will see the word UPGRADE.  By clicking this, your old fishing rod is automatically upgraded to a fishing pole.

Spoiler

jf6kv58.jpg?1

All I did was click on the word Upgrade on the rare fine fishing rod and it became a rare fishing pole.  This is where the RARE carries over.

This menu 'upgrade' was added so that you didn't have to mess around with making your own items to begin with and you can just 'upgrade' your old items and start fishing.  

So, am I understanding correctly that the rarity is not intended to transfer from rare fishing pole to rod upon creation? Only a chance?

Adding this thread here as well to keep all reports in the same area: https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/166939-fine-fishing-rod-upgrade-issue/

As far as what is intended, the use of the text menu UPGRADE keeps the rarity and I believe that was the intention of adding it.  Taking that item and making it a new item with other parts probably works like any other creation.  I've not tested 100's of these to say with an experienced voice.  

I'll see if I can get some guidance from a dev.

I've done some testing and have spoken with the devs who reviewed my test results and have confirmed that this is the intended behavior for Legacy fishing rods.

Old (Legacy) rods using upgrade always retains rarity and enchants when upgrading to a pole (via the rght click upgrade text method)

Creating a new fishing rod from a rare fishing pole (rare pole + shaft and eyelets) retains the rarity of the rod as well, but no enchant.

All LEGACY fishing rods (fishing rod and fine fishing rods) will have a right click UPGRADE option to change them from the legacy rods to the new fishing POLES. 

Using this right click Upgrade method - the rarity and all enchants are transferred to the new type fishing POLE.

If you now  take that rare fishing POLE which you just upgraded to and make it into a Fishing ROD (by using a shaft and eyelets), the RARITY will be retained but the enchants will NOT as the pole is now acting as a component for a new ROD)

So Legacy ROD - right click upgrade = new POLE with rarity and enchants.  (this can be used for fishing)

That new POLE with rarity and enchants can be used to make a new ROD with a shaft and 3 eyelets - the rarity will transfer but the enchants will not.