Sign in to follow this  
Arishok

Citizens of Haven's Landing

Would there be any use, or desire, to screening for veteran players to live at Haven's Landing?

Sort of like, the GV Help Chat moderators...  But able to live and work there... maybe help a newb or two

• Like 2

Veterans can still build a small settlement in the perimeter and make themselves a self-appointed mentor. 

That solves a lot of potential drama for Code Club on needing to "screen" candidates, monitor their behavior etc, if they are just players doing it for the sake of community spirit.

• Like 3

Also, the permissions are set to allow all crafting on deed and will be tweaked if necessary to allow veteran players to actively "live" there even if not a member of the deed. Resources for collection and crafting areas along with beds and places to keep animals are all there to encourage this. 

We can't actively recruit members to be citizens of the deed as it would be a lot of work as brash said, but existing players are welcome to spend time there skilling

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Also, the permissions are set to allow all crafting on deed

Yes, Haven's Landing is setup pretty nicely for players being able to use various options there. A few slight problems arise such as them digging in the farming areas and packing some of the lawn tiles along the roads.

A number of small homesteads are being setup along the perimeter close to the deed too, which I think gives a good impression to new players of what they can do there by example. Even an older player built a small cafe with merchant inside selling some things, well designed appealingly.

=Ayes=

I love the idea of little inns, schools and academies, soup kitchens and boarding houses, rustic homesteads and farms, some tended by experienced players looking to help newer players ease into the game and teach them to play.  I hope Haven never becomes however an upscale central market area, ala Freedom market or Glasshallow market, as that is going to make the perimeter fill up fast with veteran players building "impressive" (and massive) 90Q slow-decay stone estates for their merchant/crafter alts and maybe leave little room close to the "core" for new players interested in building near (and eventually perhaps moving on from)   the Haven "campus".   Little merchant shops though are a fun idea, especially in giving new players some mercantile ambitions themselves. Most however probably do not have much coin to spend...

I love the idea of a mix of new and old players sharing a play space. The really HUGE perimeter is the best feature in ensuring some room for everyone. veterans are more likely to deed areas outside the perimeter and leave the "free areas" (with built in decay) for the younger players, who are probably more interested in a 1-3 month stay and a chance to experiment with building,  than a final homestead. 

As far as I know, there are portals from Haven but no portals to Haven (though certainly nearby boat docking areas with good access to seaways). That's good as it will encourage new players to gradually diffuse away from the core instead of encouraging established players to congregate towards it.  It is almost a compromise between Golden Valley's isolation, and the centralized easy to access Howl on Indy. Very smart thinking on the part of developers, where and how they placed Haven. It is clear they put a tremendous amount of thought into all the various elements. 

Haven gets a 10 out of 10 from me.  If I understand correct, this was primarily Retrograde and Joelle's project? Perhaps all devs chipped in some, but our thanks to everyone involved in this. 

(They were pretty sneaky in getting it built without anyone suspecting what they were up to. That's why I suspect Retrograde had a lot to do with it ...)

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2