Sign in to follow this  
Deathangel

Chance to spawn 10x+ cave bugs when mining :D

On 1/13/2019 at 9:39 AM, Vaelir said:

Perhaps, to aid hunters, we could make the "spawns" a trigger event specifically a result of tracking. aka, if you track for something eventually you trigger a spawn a number of tiles away. So you get a fight on your hands. Perhaps with a bigger rework this could lead to a progression based track, like a hunter getting more and more spawns the longer you keep it going (in a single session). So you stumble upon a troll, track a camp with 2 more trolls, eventually find a cave entrance with a miniature stronghold of 20+ trolls. But only if you keep on their trail in a set amount of time.

This could be quite interesting indeed, and leave it up to the player how far he/she wanted to push the danger level of their hunt.

Make dens or strongholds dangerous enough to require hunting parties in order to take them, perhaps, with dens/strongholds of certain mobs requiring a higher and higher tracking skill lvl to find.

Def. should be a separate suggestion thread..

On 1/10/2019 at 12:40 PM, Arishok said:

Consolidated ideas:

- Cave bug vein.  Acts like normal vein in all respects until you start mining it.   In game cues could be: noises, event text, specific text on examine, or random singular bug might pop out.  Risk of ripping open if you keep mining.   Over time spawns will continue to populate mine.  Can expire like other spawns. Purposefully splitting it open creates large number of spawns to pop out.   Risk/reward: pile of ore equal to max ql of vein, chance for gem.   

- Goblin revisited.  Replace goblin spawn hut with a large chest.  Mostly form at abandoned deeds.  Range is short and they stay closer to one another.  Chest fills over time with random ql loot.  Older it is, more loot, etc.  Can expire and all contents disappear.  Key is on one of the goblins.  Make them meaner.  

- Chain hunting.  Based on tracking skill and similiar to Archaeology.   Tracking area around recently killed creatures may lead hints to other creatures nearby and eventually lead to champion creatures.   Could spawn an even superior version once enough clues are collected (based on tracking or FS).   Chain event expires within 18-24 hours. 

- Behavior modification.   Tougher mobs avoid highways and deeds during day, but are attracted to them at night.   Not overrun, just pull in closer, more chance encounters.  Opposite during day.   Winter makes wolves and bears have larger aggro range.   

- Purge by disease.   Audit mob distribution.  Disease could afflict overpopulated and underused areas to kill off some numbers to force redistribution on new spawns.   

- increase spawn chance for lava fiends.  

Amazing suggestions here.^

On 1/13/2019 at 8:39 AM, Vaelir said:

Perhaps, to aid hunters, we could make the "spawns" a trigger event specifically a result of tracking. aka, if you track for something eventually you trigger a spawn a number of tiles away. So you get a fight on your hands. Perhaps with a bigger rework this could lead to a progression based track, like a hunter getting more and more spawns the longer you keep it going (in a single session). So you stumble upon a troll, track a camp with 2 more trolls, eventually find a cave entrance with a miniature stronghold of 20+ trolls. But only if you keep on their trail in a set amount of time.

Something like this would also be amazing.^

As for this being a troll post or not, actually no, I just wanted to spark a discussion about how to make hunting/mob behavior/mondain tasks more exciting.

To fix the "new player disgruntlement" of mining that spawns cave bugs, personally I thought the "cave bug vein" suggestion, similar to how some tiles will spawn you a gem when you strike them, which would be more like maybe 5 cave bugs spread out from the same rock tile with event warning messages.

Or the amount of bugs that can spawn could be tied to your fighting skill, where there is no chance for a bug to spawn if you are mining with under 20 fs, but starting at 20 FS you can spawn up to your (FS-10)/10 bugs and it would be a fairly low chance, or only tied to a random distribution of tiles like source crystals. So a 90fs miner (like me) could see (90-10)/10 = up to 8 cave bugs crawl out of the wall about as often as i mine a source crystal. It could even be tied to gem spawning, so that the code algorithm might look something like this (for the more technical readers):

if mining action yields a gem,

if playerFS >= 20fs

n = (playerFS - 10)/10 

spawnbugs(n,gemQL)
    display message('The cave inhabitants come to reclaim their gem.')

else playerFS < 20fs

display message('You uncover a gem. It is rumored that the cave inhabitants are aggressive to more experienced players that take          their treasure.')

end

end

and this little algorithm could be run simultaneously when a gem is spawned from mining. <20fs players would not have any issues combat wise, 20+fs players could get up to 1/10th their FS -1 bugs (with the number of bugs spawned on an experienced player equaly to 1/10th the QL of the gem so a 100ql gem is 10 bugs, 50ql gem is up to 5 bugs, for example). so "spawnbugs" would spawn 1/10th the ql of the gem bugs, capped but limited by 10% your fs, -1.

So 90fs Deathangel mines a 70ql gem. up to 8 can spawn on Deathangel when a gem is mined, but since it was only a 70ql gem, 70*(1/10) = 7 bugs spawn.

Lets also consider 40fs Dadd mining a 80ql gem. if Dadd had 90fs, he would get 8 bugs. But since he has 40fs, he gets 3 bugs. These numbers are adjustable, but I think a mechanic like this would be a safe fun way for high skilled fighters to have fun - without over punishing the lower skilled fighters.

^So that's a way to prevent noobs from being slaughtered, since any player above 20fs will likely be able to kill a single cave bug even without armor, if they have a weapon equipped. It would add a small exploratory flare to mining, similar to how trees can have bee hives (which i think is very cool). This is my more thought-out lore-worthy version of the cave bug-mining suggestion. I'd also want a note added to the tutorial about this if it was implemented, at least to the extent woodcutting and bee hives are explained (are they even?).

Someone else had a very nice suggestion I also liked about cave bug veins but I couldn't find it easily while looking back on the posts to quote it again.

DA

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Deathangel said:

Or the amount of bugs that can spawn could be tied to your fighting skill, where there is no chance for a bug to spawn if you are mining with under 20 fs, but starting at 20 FS you can spawn up to your (FS-10)/10 bugs and it would be a fairly low chance, or only tied to a random distribution of tiles like source crystals. So a 90fs miner (like me) could see (90-10)/10 = up to 8 cave bugs crawl out of the wall about as often as i mine a source crystal. It could even be tied to gem spawning...............................

........................................^So that's a way to prevent noobs from being slaughtered, since any player above 20fs will likely be able to kill a single cave bug even without armor, if they have a weapon equipped. It would add a small exploratory flare to mining, similar to how trees can have bee hives (which i think is very cool). This is my more thought-out lore-worthy version of the cave bug-mining suggestion. I'd also want a note added to the tutorial about this if it was implemented, at least to the extent woodcutting and bee hives are explained (are they even?).

^^ I like this.  It would address concerns for noobies and not just make their mining a time of anxiety or something to be avoided when possible. Especially if tied to source crystal or gem distribution so they're not too frequent.

edit: And as long as there is a warning for those who are just wanting to mine and not in the mood for fighting.  Once you've cleared an area of the pests, it would be annoying to have them keep spawning.

Edited by Amadee