Sign in to follow this  
Deathangel

Chance to spawn 10x+ cave bugs when mining :D

just a fun suggestion, similar to how bees sting you when you chop on their tree.

DA

• Like 1

I love the idea, I just can't see newer players liking this so I'm gonna do a -1 here.

• Like 1

I also like this idea of an "infestation" event. Bugs or lava fiends in mines. Spiders or trolls when woodcutting. Sharkattack or fierce octopuses when fishing. Hell hounds when digging.

Perhaps it could check the miner's skills and adjust the spawn... but that goes a bit into the instanced event category. 

Still, love the general idea :)

I will +1 every single suggestion that adds even a slight challange to pve

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Gladiator said:

I will +1 every single suggestion that adds even a slight challange to pve

I love challanges also. 

38 minutes ago, Wulfgarr said:

I love challanges also. 

As do I.

Cave bugs are much easier to handle than a hellhound or a troll, and as a new player I was killed by these guys often. I've been in the game for over 9 months now, mined a ton, and only encountered a couple of cave bugs and lava fiends.

+1 to more cave bugs, and a +1 to more cave oriented critter challenges in general.

Add T-maps and the mobs you are asking for as boss mobs .

As for having such things spawn it was asked for many years back and never heard from again .

Wurm needs to bring something exciting to the game  other then rifts ,.

Skilling is ok , terraforming and buildings seem to be the main thing ..

But yes a BIG PLUS 10 ......

• Like 1

+1 to the basic idea, although I might limit the possibility to a window triggered by X mining actions within Y time (that way newbies aren't deluged).

17 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

+1 to the basic idea, although I might limit the possibility to a window triggered by X mining actions within Y time (that way newbies aren't deluged).

Why not just random spawn, only more frequently? Seems simple.  Maybe a higher spawn chance as number of tiles cut in the area increases.  More open mine/more tunnels: More bugs.

I think sudden spawns of critters would go further than the stated purpose of fatigue as an anti-bot mechanism for mining.  

Eve does something similiar for miners.  

But the core idea is to break up monotony.  In which case, how much would this really set a newbie back? I think you really could just define newbies by either overall skill count or time in game.  But if newbie focused on FS first, or had good gear, this would be irrelevant.    Several versions of implementation I could think of, Ive already circumvented in my head for either avoidance or farming kills.   The random part should be a few cave bugs up to a swarm of lava fiends.   Never know what you might get.  Death swarm or a sapphire? 

Think it might better just to teach newbs how tents work in havens landing.  Then implement something like this.  

New log in qoute: “Pop a tent before you cut a new mine.  You’ll thank me later. “

Edit (cause I always ramble)...

Change goblins “preferred tiles” to be disbanded deeds where buildings still remain.  Make them meaner and tethered closer.   Change the spawn hut to a chest and add random bits and pieces they collect accumulate in that chest.  Last one dead drops the key.   

Edited by Arishok
Edit for edit sake
  • Like 3

purely opinion based -1 from me

Freedom needs more challenge in fighting, hopefully with a new combat system in the works, but I think what is essential to the Freedom experience is chosing what to do, when you want to do it. If you want to mine, mine, if you want to fight, go out and hunt. And sure enough the spawn rates are lacking for that, but this isn't helping it either. It's a sandbox game, so imho it's up to you to "break the monotony".

EDIT: This doesn't account for mobs that may be around your desired mining spot, which you'll have to clear out and keep your guard up possibly, I'm not saying the game should just let us do whatever we want. But bugs and fiends spawning into your face is a bit too "direct" in my opinion.

Edited by Flubb

@FlubbI can see your opinion on that.  The sandbox bit gets used alot, and for good reason.  

There are diminished returns on hunting beyond a certain point.  A wolf in the beginning can be deadly.  A major hunting overhaul, I truly hope, is in the works.   

I think the fantastical creatures should be hunted or found in out of way places.  Trolls, goblins and the like should be a myth to most early players.  But I cannot figure a good way to suggest how this would work.  But it would have to include wider variety of “findable” challenges.   Something players have to put effort to find and enjoy the challenge on, but not thrust upon players unless they put themselves in that position.  

Like highways and deeds being avoided by these creatures, but if you trapsing through the woods.... 

off deed mines would work for something like this, but if it wasn’t implemented all over, then competing in this sandbox would be unbalanced.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Arishok said:

Like highways and deeds being avoided by these creatures, but if you trapsing through the woods.... 

I agree. Creatures like wolves should really only attack if they feel they have an advantage. Would be fun if wolves would start howling if you entered their woods, and would form a pack to hunt and then attack you. :)

Maybe not while mining, but increasing current spawn rate would be good.

Sure lets kill off every new player who then ragequits in disgust because they cannot even do simple tasks in peace, and leave behind only an ever shrinking pool of grizzled veterans (who likewise quit over time due to sheer boredom  -- but not before first suggesting 'boredom killing changes' that will cause any remaining new players to quit, all the while complaining about a shrinking playerbase).

Is it any wonder the game has almost no "new blood"? And mostly just super high level characters that get sold and resold for $500 from one player to another?

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 4

-1 Some of us like the monotony and there's enough monsters in those mines already. (More critters, sure, but no action-specific spawns)

I get the not wanting a flock of fiends avalanching down when all you is some damn copper, but the gist is an idea for something unexpected, possibly challenging, and PVE.

I see a pattern of "but what about the children?!".  Are we really that afraid of dying in this game?  Do we survive PVE or simply avoid it?  On indy about a month ago, I was up in the Samling area.  I died 3 times in 2 days.  Someone got on chat and used me as an example as how newbies are getting destroyed.  Never asked about defeated foe #1 and #2, or what I was doing that was getting me killed.  Reality was I found a Troll Convention and lucked up on a large number of Champion critters, and was actively picking fights.  Few got the better of me.  Enjoyed it.

Whether its limited to players who check "I'm willing to be kilt at unexpected times" in settings, or some other method of opening a way to actively seek danger or unpredictability while keeping monotoneers on a path to enjoying their sandbox, I am sure something could work.

For spawn rates... I think it is more about movement, and AI in general.  Server stats show a HUGE number of mobs.  Even the Slaughter of Halloween 2018, during the mad, complaint-laden culling of all things red outlined for the chance of pumpkin pads, and witch's hats... we didn't even make a dent.  Where they at?  Some nights I get lucky, and get 15-20 kills, some nights all I see are seals, cows, and guard towers.  

Am I missing something about the tracking skill?  Is there a better way?  I dunno.

I see a pattern of "but what about the children?!".  Are we really that afraid of dying in this game?  Do we survive PVE or simply avoid it? 

10+ cave bugs spawned on top of you is not a "risk" of dying. It's an absolute, ironclad guarantee of dying, and not just for brand new players.  What it is, is: hazing.

A "risk" of dying is to perhaps to be out exploring and run into a troll or three on a remote path, which means you could balance the odds in your favor by: using more caution in remote areas; keeping an eye on locations of guard towers; not fighting things that are way above your level; or maybe dropping all those logs you are encumbered with and simply  running away. Of course, high level players can normally flee atop their 5-speed mounts or hellhorse carts. With the exception of people being reckless or careless(**), the ones getting killed are normally not the "seniors" but the "freshmen", and in an environment where they were given no chance to improve their survivability odds.  I repeat:  What it is, is: hazing.  Auto-spawning a huge swarm of mobs with no warning on TOP of a player, with no other intent than to chortle over how surprised they were to be insta-killed for the entertainment of bystanders, is not the same as "Player versus environment."  

>>**  "Reality was I found a Troll Convention and lucked up on a large number of Champion critters, and was actively picking fights.  Few got the better of me.  Enjoyed it.""

Good for you. You deliberately chose not to survive, and if you were "picking fights" with Champions and countless trolls, I would gather you were not a newbie. Player versus environment involves the Player being able to use: past experience, basic intelligence and quick thinking to overcome natural environmental risks, such as cold weather, hunger & thirst, and naturally occurring wildlife. If they choose to be reckless/ careless, as you describe yourself as doing, and picking fights with mobs way over their abilities, and in a situation they themselves CHOSE, and they do so for enjoyment -- well, that sounds like a fun GAME. You went out of your way to find danger, and find danger you did.

Ninja-ganking players with surprise ambushes of overwhelming forces,  for the delight you seem to get in them having absolutely no recourse but to just die (and possibly in a situation where they are far from home and unable to recover their equipment) is really not entertaining at all except for those who get to guffaw over how funny it was to see the victim in that situation. This is the type of thing that amuses those people who love "youtube prank videos" where unsuspecting victims are singled out to be put in situations they have no choice in.  (It's really not a very nice thing to do?)

you just walk away from cave bugs they move like 5km/h, if they're over-encumbered or 0% stamina then it will be a valuable lesson.

51 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

you just walk away from cave bugs they move like 5km/h, if they're over-encumbered or 0% stamina then it will be a valuable lesson.

If you are ganked by TEN of them without warning that autospawn right on top of you, you will not "just walk away from them". You get that "limping foot icon" penalty that makes it very hard to move, and meantime the "surprise attackers"  get  bonuses from all attacking you at once. In addition to your confusion figuring out what is happening?  I remember when wolves used to run in very large packs, back in 2011. It was instant death. 

If however you run through a dark mine tunnel without using any caution, and you barrel straight into 2 or 3 cave bugs (or maybe hell scorps/trolls) , yeah you might have very good odds of skeedaddling out of there. And yes then there is  "a valuable lesson learned" about the risks of running hell pell through areas where you do not know what is ahead, or being constaltly enbumbered by 4 logs you found along the way.  

There is no "valuable lesson learned" in having ten cave bugs spawned on top of you. Except that maybe this is a very non-fun idea of a "game":   Lesson LEARNED.

Also, many very experienced miners, if they know they are in a safe area and have checked carefully to know their situation, will take OFF their armor while they are mining, paying attention that they know exactly how safe or unsafe the area is.

well the way mob aggro works is that they only aggro when either they move(and they can still move right past someone without aggroing), or something else moves, so you'll most likely be fighting one at a time until you move around. even with hurting debuff you'll still be faster than them, and cave bugs don't do much damage at all, even to a newbie wearing the starting armor.

"Also, many very experienced miners, if they know they are in a safe area and have checked carefully to know their situation, will take OFF their armor while they are mining." armor has 0 effect on mining so idk why they'd do that, sounds like they're not very experienced at all. that, or they listen to rumors too often.

You lose stamina faster (and recover it slower) in heavy armor, unless the game has changed since I played on Indy.  And, mining uses up stamina fast.  Has that also changed? 

It sounds like most of the people suggesting this change, would really be much happier on a PVP server.  

I think most PVE players like to be able to have a little choice in playing in areas or activities that are risky versus safe.  If they chose to play in risky areas (wandering the wilderness picking fights with powerful creatures), one assumes it is because just like the OP they really enjoy taking risks.  If they choose to sit in a little room with a templar guard standing over them and imp weapons in absolute 100% safety, it is because that is how they choose to enjoy themselves

A real sandbox game, what a country!

This reminds me more of that day Rolf decided to make PVE more challenging -- by suddenly making PVE communities raidable by PVP players. 

An idea he came up with, apparently, over a lunch date with Brännvin.

Outcome: 50% of his playerbase and his staff, quit the game overnight.

Some people though thought it was a GREAT idea.  

Better idea: Have more highly challenging wilderness areas with more risks, more rewards. 

People who love that gameplay style, can flock there.

Carebears meantime, can be carebears  if they choose to play that way.

• Like 1

When you're out in the forest, cutting trees, then you have the chance of a hell hound walking up to you. Even if you wear no armor, even if you're out of stamina. Does it stop people from cutting trees? No, they simply know there is possibility for a small tickle fight.

Current suggestion is not a "spawn a million ways to die" while mining. Just a small chance of a small tickle. Hell, tie it to the miner's fight skill. Disable it on deeds and perimeters. 

Have it similar to current mining events and spam event window before anything actually happens: "You hear muffled creaking and scrunching sounds behind the wall. What could it be?"

Here you are, already saying, half the players quit. Could you be more dramatic? :D 

When you are in a mine, you already have a chance of a lava spider, lava fiend, etc wandering around and coming up to you. Nobody is arguing against those. However in your example, when you are normally cutting a tree, there is not a random chance to have a full medley of beasts suddenly spawn right atop, random and unexpected, because you are cutting the tree. If a hellhound wanders by, you had/have the option of first carefully checking the area before cutting the tree and looking around often -- it does not instantaneously spawn right on top of you. You have the options of cutting trees in an area that is relatively safe, lots of visibility, guard tower in sight if you want to play "cautious".

What OP is suggesting is removing the ability to play cautiously so your example of a hellhound while cutting trees is not at all in the same category. It is suggested to circumvent players who want to play cautiously. We already have the mine version of a hellhound wandering by, that already exists and is not the same thing. Trolls, lava fiends, many things much worse than found in an average tree clearing. If it is not a large mine however you can do a quick run through first to confirm the mine is not infested before you do any serious mining.

"Half the players quit" was not my being overly dramatic about what might happen, it is explaining what actually happened when Rolf decided once (early 2009 I think?) to make all PVE settlements raidable by PVP players, in order to introduce some "fun" and "challenge" and "Surprise!" into the game. No warning, just did it. Perhaps you never heard of the incident. Half the players did quit, not half "might" quit. Also half of the GMs and many of the developers. About a month later when Rolf realized he had killed off his golden goose and had lost half his income, he relented and created the independence server for those who wanted to play more cautiously. I am not saying "this is the exact same thing", either.  It was obviously more extreme, but the concept was the same:  removing any ability to play cautiously by having things randomly spawn right on top of you. Surprise!

• Like 2