GnuKleaArh

How to check server version? (Solved)

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

How do I check what Server version I am up to on my Linux server?
I installed from these instructions https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Server_administration_(Wurm_Unlimited) and updated via steamcmd.sh

  result == Steam>app_update 402370

  Success! App '402370' already up to date.
the client says incompatible communication protocol
client version 1.8.0.3
no beta enabled

 

 

Solution by Explora

On 1/11/2019 at 1:31 AM, Explora said:

 the version number is in file \\path\to\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server\common.jar\META-INF\ 

Edited by GnuKleaArh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If you start the server and search it with your client, you can see the server version

 

6mKROWq.png

 

The versin number declaration is:

 

1 - this will change....i think when the whole game will be decoded and completely new

8 - for cool big updates

0 - for server side updates

3 - for client side updates (could be vice versa, but the last two diggits are not important for the compatibility, the second diggit is the important one)

 

Eject

Edited by Eject

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Looks like 402370 is the correct app for the server:   https://steamdb.info/app/402370/

Last update in WU would have been September 18 2018 if there is any way to check the file date.

 

I am not good on server issues and cannot say why your Linux server shows to the client, incompatible communication protocol

Give some of the server guru peeps another day or two to see the post

edit: Eject knows way more than me about server stuff. I know that I need to connect to servers supporting "1.8.0.3." (which i thought was just the client version but Eject suggests it is for both)

 

I know you said no betas are involved; the only relevant thing i could find on google was a beta version of the dedicated server:

 

 

from that thread:

 

>>

In Steam, go to LIBRARY >> INSTALLED 

Check to see if its says BETA. if so, right click it and click DELETE LOCAL FILES.  Then redownload it.

 

(this is for server not client)

 

I suppose it is possible that a very old link someplace links to the old beta of the dedicated server 

 

 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Eject said:

If you start the server and search it with your client, you can see the server version

 

6mKROWq.png

 

The versin number declaration is:

 

1 - this will change....i think when the whole game will be decoded and completely new

8 - for cool big updates

0 - for server side updates

3 - for client side updates (could be vice versa, but the last two diggits are not important for the compatibility, the second diggit is the important one)

 

Eject

Thank you, the server does not show up on the Internet or LAN tabs,  I am hosting on my LAN only not published to the Internet.

Is there a text entry in the directory or is it possible to connect via telnet or ssh to get a version number? I tried via the CLI on the linux box and was not successful.

 

and the link provided by Brash_Endeavors indicates that the server app on Steam was last updated September 18, 2018. This looks to be the same date as the Client. I had thought that possibly the Steam Server had not yet been updated.

 

Thanks for your assistance so far

 

G.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, GnuKleaArh said:

Thank you, the server does not show up on the Internet or LAN tabs,  I am hosting on my LAN only not published to the Internet

 

 

edit:  is this using Connect By IP?   when i do offline mode (singeplayer) I still show up on the LAN tab. I assumed all LAN style servers were "not published to the internet" and only accessible on a private/home network?

It still requires a Steam connection since it is a DRM protected game ... I think? 

 

___________________________________

 

edit: I did see this while checking recent "Offline mode" stuff,  not sure if it is relevant/accurate  (I don't know how Linux works, and am pretty iffy on networking issues in general):

 

For a local server, not shared on the internet, both the server Internal and External IP addresses should be 127.0.0.1

 

(I think it still shows up then on the LAN tab. Some of the wurm server stuff though has changed over the years, so some documentation may be using outdated info. I tried searching only 2018 sources...)

 

Also found this:

 

Wurm Unlimited actually CAN be played without an internet connection. To do so, click "Manage Local Server" > and use the tabs to set your settings as if you were setting up an online game. When you are happy with the server settings, click "Start Offline Server". Go back to the login splash screen, click "Connect by IP" make sure I.P. address is set to 127.0.0.1 and click "Connect to IP" 
Voila, offline, single player game that can be played even if you have no internet connection.
When you set this up, I recommend using a copy of the adventure or creative maps (this can be done in the manage local server screen). It's kind of a pain to start fresh if you use one of the two maps as they are without using the copy function.

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

 

 

edit:  is this using Connect By IP?   when i do offline mode (singeplayer) I still show up on the LAN tab. I assumed all LAN style servers were "not published to the internet" and only accessible on a private/home network?

It still requires a Steam connection since it is a DRM protected game ... I think? 

 

 

Yes using Connect by IP.

I start the server session (on Linux) and then the client (on Windows) via the Steam app,

The Linux box has a local network IP address and has worked in the past but since the update it has not.  I am trying to troubleshoot to see if the issue lays with the versioning or something else. The network seems ok in that I can connect to that server with all other protocols.

 

G.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can only speak for how the Windows version works.

When you start the Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server there should be a window with tabs to Select Database, setup server travel and manage players. The server version is shown in the Window title. There is a separate window showing server log messages.

After selecting database clicking the "Start Server" button should produce lots of messages in the log window, the last one should be "Server connected to Steam". If your server is starting up but not appearing in the LAN server tab it suggests either a problem with the network configuration or that some ports are being blocked from accessing Steam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Explora said:

I can only speak for how the Windows version works.

When you start the Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server there should be a window with tabs to Select Database, setup server travel and manage players. The server version is shown in the Window title. There is a separate window showing server log messages.

After selecting database clicking the "Start Server" button should produce lots of messages in the log window, the last one should be "Server connected to Steam". If your server is starting up but not appearing in the LAN server tab it suggests either a problem with the network configuration or that some ports are being blocked from accessing Steam.

 

Thanks for the response, I am running the headless version from the command line but the final line that shows up is "Server connect to steam". 

There are a few lines on the output that indicate errors but I am sure they have always been there, I can post the full output if it will help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "Server connected to Steam" message shows that the server is running but why it's not appearing in your LAN server tab I do not know.

I suspect the problem is with port config or forwarding but I'm not expert enough to know.

 

There's a server config guide here which may help https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Server_administration_(Wurm_Unlimited)

 

On your original question client saying incompatible communication protocol I don't know of a way to query the server version when running in Linux headless mode but you can see the version number in file steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server\common.jar\META-INF\

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Explora said:

 the version number in file steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server\common.jar\META-INF\ 

The Manifest file says 1.8.0.3 which is the same version as the client so that answers my original question. It eliminates the versioning as the possible issue.

Thanks very much for your help.

 

I will pursue other options. If I find the answer I will post in this or a related thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now