Sign in to follow this  
Johndunnf

Buying New Laptop - Wurm Unlimited

I will be buying a new laptop and wondered if anyone has any real-world laptop experience using a laptop with an i5 and how good does wurm work on it compared to an i7? Any discussion would be appreciated. I am thinking that WU is probably more CPU intensive due to Java so may need the more powerful CPU for processing rather than just the graphics card of a gaming laptop.

So basically will an i5 based Laptop work well enough with WU or should I go the extra mile and get an i7 based gaming laptop.

I am trying to decide between a Lenovo i5 based Y730 and a i7 based Y730 laptop (both gaming) but the i7 is obviously more cpu strong shall I say if Wurm requires more CPU processing as well as GPU processing

If you can afford the i7 - get the i7. If you're stretching yourself - dont get it.

I5 or I7 - Ive ran MANY wurm accounts on both cpu's just fine. So get whichever you want. Have fun.

Any computer worth doing is worth doing right - get the i7.

I guess so huh... Lenovo Y730 it will be at i7 then ... true.. why mess about if I can afford it this time :)

It will be much better than my 6+ year old (I bought it in a store for $399 then... it may be older! Acer e5-511) dollar acer which is really only good for typing in forums lol

To walk in wurm on this means to push the W key.. go get a coffee.. at the store across the street.. go to visit family.. in another city.. return.. take coat off, make another coffe.. and wait for it to step forward :)

Edited by Johndunnf

There's a common misconception among some gamers....   don't buy a computer for a game, buy a game for a computer.  

In other words, don't make a big investment on hardware to be able to play a specific game.  

• Like 1

Do you really need a laptop for Wurm?

I have got a PC and a laptop, still saving money as PCs are a lot cheaper than laptops. Got a cheap laptop for office work and a good PC for games.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

Do you really need a laptop for Wurm?

I have got a PC and a laptop, still saving money as PCs are a lot cheaper than laptops. Got a cheap laptop for office work and a good PC for games.

This

• Like 1

I would say an i5 is completely enough, i have one at my real work, so i can play there too my games in the night.

• Like 1

I'm running wurm on integrated graphics on an 8th gen i7 just fine, with decently high settings and far render distances. (Just no shadows/reflections)

Depending on your age and other uses for the laptop, it might be better to go for a less 'gamer' looking laptop. If you plan on keeping it a few years, you might want to bring it places you don't want to be seen as a 'gamer'. E.g. I've used this laptop for presentations and at job interviews, something I wasn't even aware I would be using it for when I purchased it.

Don't forget about the greatly increased weight and reduced battery life associated with a dedicated GPU either. If you're carrying your laptop around, it's something to consider. Extra laptop weight + potentially having to carry the power brick too quickly stops being fun.

• Like 1

Unless you need a laptop for school, or if it's travel related, get a PC instead. You'll be able to get a much more powerful machine for the same cost.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 6:28 PM, Johndunnf said:

I will be buying a new laptop and wondered if anyone has any real-world laptop experience using a laptop with an i5 and how good does wurm work on it compared to an i7? Any discussion would be appreciated. I am thinking that WU is probably more CPU intensive due to Java so may need the more powerful CPU for processing rather than just the graphics card of a gaming laptop.

I used a lesser laptop for WU for a couple of years, and it was...okay.  I had to keep all my settings low, and couldn't play a 2nd toon at the same time, but it was very handy as I was travelling a lot at the time. Now, though, the only time I use the laptop is if I have to travel, since the PC is dramatically better.

Edited by Batta
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Wargasm said:

There's a common misconception among some gamers....   don't buy a computer for a game, buy a game for a computer.  

In other words, don't make a big investment on hardware to be able to play a specific game.  

have to agree with this comment, i bought a 2 and half grand computer just before christmas, because i thought fallout4 would run better and crash less, if anything it crashes more.. i bought an acer predator I7...

Thanks for all of the replies I appreciate it everyone.

I do have a PC at home which plays wurm(s) just fine but I want to go to a donut shop or bar etc and just play while out of my silent room lol.

I am on disability to spend a great deal of time on the Internet and or wurming so I want one that no matter what I decide to do with it I will be able to without jitters and slow reaction times on the movement etc so yes I will go out more often by getting a good laptop I just was curious as to whether wurm being Java based is much more CPU sided or much morr graphics sided and I think it may be both. Unlike some games that are very much graphics and not so much cpu based. And other games are very much more cpu than gpu intensive so I wanted to know if wurm is very cpu AND gpu then I will get a gaming laptop that I love the sleek business black look of (Lenovo Y730/Y740) that has the best of both worlds so I can ensure wurm compatibility for several years going forward on the same machine. So I'll get the  i7 with 1060 video card. It is y530-2.jpga gaming laptop that looks nice like a smooth biz machine. You can turn off all the lights or turn them on if you want them but the shape overall I love its clean lines etc

001-Legion-Y730-17-inch.jpg

Edited by Johndunnf
  • Like 1