Sign in to follow this  
Ayes

Lower The Loading Requirement To 21.00 Body Strength

I recently made a new alt to check out the beautiful new starting and tutorial area at Haven's Landing. I found it to be well worth the visit but somewhat unfortunately I became drawn to Premium him up as I wanted to build a little place on the perimeter and soon some of his skills and characteristics were hitting the cutoff point of 20.00 for further progress.

Not many complaints about the slow progress of skill development but a glaring exception to me of a problem is the requirement to have 23.00 body strength to be able to load anything into large carts, as well as ship transporters (yeah wagons too but those are still an even longer way off so forgetaboutit). As I am now only 21.84 body strength and slowly rising, that ability is still a long way off in comparison. From this experience it seems to me that requiring 23.00 body strength is unreasonably excessive and 21.00 body strength would be a much more reasonable point to achieve for this very useful ability. At that level a player still has to be a Premium account so it keeps that incentive to Premium up intact.

Sure, the poor weakling newbie Premium guy can just call on the mighty player of longer term to achieve 23.00 body strength to load his cart with the meager small crates that he can create (which I did) but he still can not load and unload them when desired. Or maybe he might have been more ambitious to create a small rowboat at Haven's Landing and a ship transporter to drag it down to shore but oops!, he can't load that up either. Ahh well you say, all he simply needs to do is to call out to others for help and maybe someone will be around to do it for him. So much for the spirit of Independence after which the server is named.

Tldr? Lower the body strength requirement to 21.00 for loading objects to carts, etc.

=Ayes=

• Like 6

Honestly I tried to think of a reason to keep it locked at 23 and I just cannot find one.  It's obviously a premium only feature, as at best you need 20.1ml to ride a large cart, so why not put loading at 20.1 strength?

It's not something fancy like furniture requiring 70 skill to unlock, it's a pretty core part of gameplay and anyone that sticks with wurm will get 23 strength eventually just by playing, so I don't see why load should be locked on some arbitrary number.

• Like 6

As someone struggling with this currently, I would enjoy the lowered requirement.

With 72 hours play time, I'm sitting on 20.66 Body Strength. Considering we start at 19.50, that's +1 point in 72 hours...assuming that rate continues (which it wont), that would be another 150+ hours gameplay for a total of over 200 just to unlock the ability to load items.

200 hours is 2-3 months for most who can only play 2-3 hours a day.

Granted, I haven't been grinding purely BS skills, but I have been skilling most of those hours, without much afking or travel. I would consider my activities to have been more grind-focused than an actual new player's experience, so their results are likely to be much slower even than mine.

I have played Wurm before, I know what I'm getting in to and what there is to discover beyond the initial slow grind. I don't think entirely new players would have the same opinion and hopes.

• Like 3

-1 doesnt take long to get to 23 BS. Now i wouldn't mind just a lower requirement for crates but everything else should be higher imo

Edited by Nioras
  • Like 3

As someone waiting to get an account to BS to 23 to priest, +1.

After a week of spending 5-6+ hours each day doing nothing but mining, I'm still only at 20.15

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Nioras said:

-1 doesnt take long to get to 23 BS. Now i wouldn't mind just a lower requirement for crates but everything else should be higher imo

I actually like this approach.

Instead of all items being 23 Body Str, maybe stagger and spread them out, depending on weight/size much like how carry weight works.

A small crate would be loadable at lower body str than a large one etc. Even the ability to load an empty small crate, before a full small crate would be a huge benefit, but would come with the drawback that you would still have to empty and move the contents manually until strong enough to load the full crate in one go.

That still gives players goals to work towards, but rewards them along the way.

• Like 6

+1

2 hours ago, Ferriss said:

and spread them out

I agree with you Ferriss!

Perhaps a graduated system would indeed please both camps.

Here's some ideas:

23 BS - Heavyweight - Large crate, canopy bed, wagon, cart (into ship), large ship into ship transporter, full bsb, full fsb

21 BS - Mid-weight - Oven, forge, loom, mid-weight furniture such as bed, small boat into ship transporter, full small crate, empty large crate, an empty bsb, empty fsb.

19 BS - Lightweight - an empty small crate into a crate rack, maybe light furniture items such as targets, weapon racks (junk that seems to be left behind because a new person cannot take it with them)

I don't see why low level players can't load small crates, as you only need 10 carp to build one, why then do you have to wait until you are 23 BS to load it?  :)

Ideas appreciated. :) 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ferriss said:

I actually like this approach.

Instead of all items being 23 Body Str, maybe stagger and spread them out, depending on weight/size much like how carry weight works

While this idea seems reasonable on the surface it would require a more intricate coding system established by the Developers rather than just straight up reducing the loading requirement for *all* items to 21.00 body strength per my original suggestion. This being the case it would discourage them from doing anything at all and just leaving it as currently requiring 23.00 body strength while shrugging it off as requiring too much effort for the insignificance of it all. To me this just provides too much justification for doing nothing about it.

If there is some good reason from the Devs to leave it as is 23.00 I have yet to hear about it, neither from any players as well. In the end I will eventually hit 23.00 bs (now about 21.98) but does this mean that too bad for others then? I think not really as the recent experience I have related is something others will need to progress through too. Walking in another's newbie shoes for a while is enough to change your perspective a bit.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

• Like 2

That's probably true Ayes and if it's lower everything to 21 or nothing, I would agree with you :)

• Like 2

My only issue with this is if it gets changed other people will ask for lower body control for hell horses or lower mind logic for boats. so thats my only reason i dont like the idea of changes to this system unless they find a way to balance it.

Mind logic is already staged for boats and BC for different mounts. The big difference is to unlock a feature earlier that is now quite a core mechanic in the game. The fresh players currently are forced to ask help from more developed accounts; which is not a bad thing but showing early how convenient will the gaming experience become if they persist is a good thing. I remember I could not evaluate the huge difference of being able to ride or to drive a vehicle at least. Giving a "sneak peak" is motivating.

EDIT: (a bit off topic) BTW I think the intention of giving out 3 day prem was also a great thing, I was pulled into buying premium game time in other games with such "holiday passes" after seeing how much easier my life is. Maybe the 3 days was a bit too short and also it might not reach the intended target audience (I loved it and had good use of it though myself - and also induced a few monthly prems from my side).

Edited by Jaz

On 1/5/2019 at 7:50 PM, MrGARY said:

Honestly I tried to think of a reason to keep it locked at 23 and I just cannot find one.  It's obviously a premium only feature, as at best you need 20.1ml to ride a large cart, so why not put loading at 20.1 strength?

It's not something fancy like furniture requiring 70 skill to unlock, it's a pretty core part of gameplay and anyone that sticks with wurm will get 23 strength eventually just by playing, so I don't see why load should be locked on some arbitrary number.

get a fresh toon, get weapon with MS and start killing non agressive things....

2 minutes ago, tamat said:

get a fresh toon, get weapon with MS and start killing non agressive things....

And this helps new players without access to these things how?

• Like 2

Maybe for the first two weeks of a new toon you could get the ability of loading crates? idk of any other way to make it easier unless you set the requirement of small crates to 20.5? 

+1 for loading based on strength and weight, so they can load a chest and small crate just at 21 BS

• Like 1

I wondered why there were wagoneers instead of players getting paid to haul.  

Figured that was tried... but not for new players.   I focused on grinding to 23, got affinity meal, skiller hatchet, and set off to what was a minding numbing experience to get to 23.  JUST so I could relocate.   

I have not discovered the value of loading not being just out of reach of free players.   

Well my new premium alt guy finally hit 23.00 body strength and this is how long it took to get there:

[07:10:38] You have played 7 days, 5 hours and 1 minutes. (equals 173 hours)

Quite a long time investment just to be able to load objects on large carts or a ship transporter. Of course I just bypassed this bottleneck by sending one of my alts (premium'd him up for a while too) to Haven's Landing to help this poor guy, along with other things as well. Anyway, this does seem to be pretty frustrating to the newer player with no other alternatives.

Even the suggestions of some to at least allow the loading of small crates at 21.00 body strength onto large carts would help out. So if that were to happen to be changed minimally as such, the long hours onto the further 23.00 body strength loading benefits would be a lot more tolerable.

=Ayes=

• Like 1